Pukwudgie TT race- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Pukwudgie TT race

I'm going to be racing the mtb TT in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the race is like. I've never race there or done a time trial before. Is the course the same as years before? Techy? Hills?

I doubt I'll have a chance to preride so any info on what to expect would be helpful.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It's pretty flat, and in some places pretty rocky.

I guess you could say it's more technical than lots of other race courses, it's not a highway through the woods.
    The pukwudgie loop travels on legal dirtybike trails, in the same direction as the dirtybikes use them, so the terrain is fairly grizzly, although you can still send it at a good clip.
    I'll be there, riding that fruity looking giant anthem above.

mtbr member
    Also: that silly orange cycling app is showing about 350ft of elevation per lap.
    There's a couple puddles in the beginning, first half mile, after that, it's pretty dry.

A time trial itself is a fun format. It's just you against the clock. No bar to bar, other riders (as a generalization) are a little more forgiving, and will move over a smidge more willingly.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Cool. What tires do you happen to be running?

mtbr member
    I have 27.5 trail boss 2.4's on crest/arch.
    Nothing fancy.
    It's not a real tire specific place, I don't think.
    If you smash your way through the trails, pick something with a decent sidewall, I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'll be there, first mtb race for me. I'll be the clumsy idiot on a rigid fatbike. How miserable am I going to be on those rocks? Haha

mtbr member
    Just go huck it and have fun. I doubt you'll be the only cat on a rigid fatty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I prefer suspension over my fat bike in there but I know others that feel differently. If rocks aren't your thing, it can be a bit relentless, but it's still a fun race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    this info is a little late for you guys but I would highly advise preriding the course if you get a chance. If you don't ride rocks it will take a little getting used to. after a lap or two out there though you really get in a groove and start flowing through and around the rocks better. after staring at them for awhile you just see the lines better. that is the good thing on race day is the expert elite guys will go through first and you can usually see the good line by the time the sport guys go off.

my mental break down of the course goes like this

first half I feel is rockier

first half I think has zero elevation in it.

there are a couple rock roll overs that if you have never seen before you will probably be a little hesistant. I am always a little conservative if I haven't seen something before.

I try to make it to the extended piece of fire road in under 25 minutes

the second half has 5 or 6 punchy climbs in it

the craziest rock garden is about five minutes before the finish. I don't really know how crazy it is but I have never gotten through it before and I don't know anyone who has. even if you did make your way through it, running it might be faster.

extended fire road to the finish. in the end hopefully I am under 45min but I am not holding my breath.

mtbr member
    I've only seen one person on a regular mtb clear that last big rock garden, but in the opposite direction from the way we'll be using it Sunday. I've done it a couple times both ways on my fatty, but never on anything else.

I've just gone out and circled it a couple times this year, no clue where I'll land with timing. Pretty pumped to find out though!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Is the start and finish in the same place? Or is it a point to point course?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The start and finish line are within eyesight of one another, it's a loop.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8401416?filter=overall

dmo
    mtbr member
    It's supposed to snow now. Those rocks should be fun...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    It's supposed to snow now. Those rocks should be fun...Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Yep, and cold and windy, too....should be interesting

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Most of the loop isn't bad with a little snow.

That said, there are a couple bridges on "The Beatdown" that get extremely slick with snow.

mtbr member
    * that get extremely slick with any moisture...

They're circa 97-99 pressure treated. They've got some slippery fungi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    how did everyone do?

Weather didn't really help us at all. I was being a baby and didn't warm up at all because I didn't want to get soaked and then wait for the race to start. started off pretty slow because of the lack of warmup. I was really expecting the worst, but traction was better than I thought it would be. I ended up setting a pr on the second half of the course, but all my fumbling around and trying get in a groove on the first half had just put me in way to much of a hole. plus I had to stop on the long fireroad to take my beanie off(I was that cold on the start).

seriously bummed they cancelled the trail run in the afternoon. I was looking forward to that more than the mtn bike race I think. It was pretty windy before the experts and sports went off so I can see why they made the call.

mtbr member
    I landed 4th. That part was pretty thrilling, but my time and performance was pretty lackluster.
    I definitely had fun though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I landed 4th. That part was pretty thrilling, but my time and performance was pretty lackluster.
    I definitely had fun though.
    I didn't even put it together that the chip in the results was you. we were in the class. You got me by about 40 seconds. it is hard to get motivated and put a solid ride in with conditions like that. not staying home and actually showing up was a victory enough.

mtbr member
    I came from work. I hadda rush and bustle to get there and get dressed and whatnot... I got a million excuses, I shouldn't even start. Anyways, I left the door open for improvement. I rode the south side of the forest today, truly poking along for a good while. Snow, rain, snow, HUGE SNOW, rain, just chilling out.