Places to live in Boston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Places to live in Boston

Hi guys,

I will be moving to Boston next year with work split between the Longwood medical area and Mass General. I am hoping to use public trans to get to work but would rather live outside Boston proper so that I can get more house and be closer to mtn trails and road bike routes.

So far I have found Melrose and Milton to fit the bill. As someone who knows nothing about the area do either of these towns make sense? Is it possible to access places like Vietnam or Lynn Woods from the train? Budget is probably 250-350K.

More than one, of course!

Two websites for you.

www.mbta.com and www.redfin.com

As far as accessibility by public transportation, it seems the same people who paved the cow paths to make roads here designed the train system. You'll see what I mean when you are house hunting.

Best of luck
    FR

Quote Originally Posted by reddpoint
    Hi guys,

I will be moving to Boston next year with work split between the Longwood medical area and Mass General. I am hoping to use public trans to get to work but would rather live outside Boston proper so that I can get more house and be closer to mtn trails and road bike routes.

So far I have found Melrose and Milton to fit the bill. As someone who knows nothing about the area do either of these towns make sense? Is it possible to access places like Vietnam or Lynn Woods from the train? Budget is probably 250-350K.
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

Class Clown
    Malden is close to the Fells and Lynn Woods and also close enough to MGH that you could ride there. Medford too depending on what part. Melrose is a little further out but not by much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I live in Dorchester near the Milton/Quincy/Boston line. Lots of great riding if you stay around Milton/Quincy/Hingham/Braintree. The red line is also right there to which is a straight shot to MGH.

I ride mostly at Wompatuck but Vietnam, the Fells, Cutler and Borderland are all pretty close.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    A couple notes...

Depending on where in Melrose, Oak Grove is at the end of the orange line. You'd have to switch to the red line to get to MGH if you had your bike. Or there's a Partner's Health shuttle that runs from the Garden to MGH.

The T has certain hours that you can take a bike on certain trains. Pretty much if it's rush hour, you can't bring a bike on the train. On the green line you can't bring a bike on at all.

Also, my Kona's bars don't fit through the turnstyle where you get on the train... I gotta lift it up.

I live in Wakefield (next to Melrose). I ride my bike to Oak Grove sometimes and sometimes I ride down the street and take the commuter rail into Boston.

A final note (sorry I'm hardcore rambling here) is the Minuteman Trail. This runs through Lexington, Arlington and Bedford and dumps out at Alewife. Alewife is at the Cambridge end of the red line. You could ride to Alewife and then take the red line a few stops to MGH. Not to mention you'd have easy access to Harvard Sq, Central Sq, etc.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I live in Brookline, not too far from Longwood, and there is an extensive network of bike trails that runs along the Fenway, by Longwood, down through Olmstead Park, the Arboreum, and Jamaica plain. Not a true mountain bike trail, as most paths are paved. Here's a map of the trail, which runs along the riverway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...22724&t=h&z=16

I agree about the T, the section that runs by my place (Green line, B trolley) is especially slow. The worse the weather is, the worse the T tends to run. I recall bicycling on my way to work, when it was zero degrees, snow piled high. I saw a stopped trolley that couldn't handle any more people and the conductor telling people to move in further and crowds waiting outside. Somehow commuting by bicycle wasn't that bad. The Red Line is also subject to delays, but IMO, is better than the B trolley.
    Check out this short fun blog on downhill mountain bikes

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT
    A couple notes...

Depending on where in Melrose, Oak Grove is at the end of the orange line. You'd have to switch to the red line to get to MGH if you had your bike.
    Unless it was pouring out if you had your bike why would you need to switch lines? You could get off at Community or North Station and ride for a few minutes.

Anytime you can avoid the T at rush hour is a good time.

FartFigNewton
    PM sent

Members who have read this thread: 1