Pioneer Valley Epic Ride Series Starts-Finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Pioneer Valley Epic Ride Series Starts-Finally!

Hey All,

Well, after some delay (yes, on my Part!) The Pioneer valley Epic Ride Series will finally get started. Here's the scoop, we're laying out 3 separate rides in August, September and October that will Showcase some of the lesser known, longer routes available to stronger riders in the region. No, they won't be race-paced events, but participants will require a certain level of comfort at riding greater distances over often challenging terrain-though distances will vary with each event expect to ride 35-45 miles.

Oh-and anyone who completes all three Epics will get a commemorative T-shirt!!!

The Series will kick off with the 'Backyard Epic-Tour of the Ridges' on AUGUST 24th at 9:00am. We'll meet at the Dirt/ Gravel Parking area at the Foot of Sugarloaf Mountain (by the softball field right off the corner of Sugarloaf St and rte 116 in South Deerfield). This ride will skirt, scale descend, and scale again the long ridge that runs from South Deerfield to Gill following the Connecticut River. There will be two water/snack stops but riders will need to tote most of what they need for the day. This will most likely be a unidirectional ride and we'll arrange for a shuttle back to the starting point. And, there will be food and beverages afterwards.

If you think you'd like to participate or need more info please contact me!

Liam

[email protected]
    Last edited by SuperbMan; 08-04-2008 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Hey All,

Well, after some delay (yes, on my Part!) The Pioneer valley Epic Ride Series will finally get started. Here's the scoop, we're laying out 3 separate rides in August, September and October that will Showcase some of the lesser known, longer routes available to stronger riders in the region. No, they won't be race-paced events, but participants will require a certain level of comfort at riding greater distances over often challenging terrain-though distances will vary with each event expect to ride 35-45 miles.

Oh-and anyone who completes all three Epics will get a commemorative T-shirt!!!

The Series will kick off with the 'Backyard Epic-Tour of the Ridges' on AUGUST 24th at 9:00am. We'll meet at the Dirt/ Gravel Parking area at the Foot of Sugarloaf Mountain (by the softball field right off the corner of Sugarloaf St and rte 116 in South Deerfield). This ride will skirt, scale descend, and scale again the long ridge that runs from South Deerfield to Gill following the Connecticut River. There will be two water/snack stops but riders will need to tote most of what they need for the day. This will most likely be a unidirectional ride and we'll arrange for a shuttle back to the starting point. And, there will be food and beverages afterwards.

If you think you'd like to participate or need more info please contact me!

Liam

[email protected]

DATE CHANGE!!! The event has been moved to AUGUST 24th-Sunday!!! Everything else is the same!

Sorry,

Liam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sounds interesting. please post if you cancel bcz I'm thinking of coming from Cape Cod. well, coming from my sisters place in north Berkshire county.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Dang,

Yeah-I'll run this ride in about any condition except a true Nor'Easter or Tropical Storm. Rode the northern section of it last night in the pouring rain and lightning....challenging when dry, pretty adventurous in adverse conditions-but still-pretty awesome too! Look forward to to seeing you on the 24th.

Liam

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well,

I did some riding along the route today-things are getting ready there's even something new for all to ride on the route .

A couple of notes--A few folks have asked me what the ride will cost:

The Answer-nothing except a day of hard effort. I think this is just something PV-NEMBA will do for the game riders who want to ride our region. We'll pick up the tab (with some local Bike shop donations as well I Hope!) for drinks at the few rest stops, snacks, fuel to shuttle folks. There will also be a BBQ-dogs and burgers, sodas and yes, adult beverages (though that won't officially come from NEMBA but from me) and a few other things some of the local lady riders have offered to cook for us. I will probably pass a hat to defray the cost somewhat-if we break even I'd be stoked, but if not that's ok-I just want to facilitate a social (if also demanding) ride.

Secondly, if you're thinking of attending let me ASAP as some planning and logistics that reflect numbers needs to happen before next Sunday.

That's it, keep enjoying the summer.
    Liam
    [email protected]

Steam Donkey
    I will be there.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

person
    +1, I managed to get the day off!
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was wondering what you would rate the overall technical level of the ride? I'm thinking of attending but just want to be sure I won't get thrashed to death. A comparison to the average Batchelor St. level of gnarliness or lack thereof?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dromond,

happy to oblige:
    1. Rate-steady. Look it's a long-ish ride, you won't need to maintain a race pace (far from it) but you'll need a certain dedication to keep moving along when the time calls for it. We'll have someone riding sweep at all times and I suspect that there will be a pretty good lag between the engine and the caboose on this train ride.

2. Technical-on the whole, it won't compare to batchelor st in technical-though there are a few single track stretches that are on par with B-street's best. If we were to use a familar rating system for technical trails-say, calling Lizard king and Missing persons (in the uphill direction) 8.5-9 on a scale of 1-10 for technical difficulty-I'd rate most of the Epic ride as a 5-6 (with stretches being both harder and easier).

3. The first two hours will probably be the most taxing as they involve the two biggest and burliest climbs (with two pretty great sustained downhills)-the rest of the ride should move along pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There is no way I could handle this kind of a ride this year. But my goal is to join you guys next year. I am thinking it is time to finish my single speed project to help me get into shape for some epic rides on the FS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well the trails sound solid. I think that this one might be a bit of a stretch for me (as much due to scheduling as fitness) but I bet that I should be able to do the October ride. Have fun!

achiever
    Red is not in. Couldn't find anyone to cover work for me and one of the busted ribs is giving me fits lately.

Any solid dates on the remaining 2 yet? Need to plan ahead if work schedule conflicts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Next one will be September 21 (whatever that sunday is) it will be Wendell-Leverett nd Probably Northfield...and it will be harder than this Epic. The Final will be in October and that, being Mr. rossi's ride, will inevitably be the hardest of the three.

T-shirts only to those who can handle all three rides....

mtbr member
    Ugh! I'll be recuperating form the 12hrs at Bradbury Sept 21.

Ant

Steam Donkey
    Weekend weather is looking Super!!!

...October Epic date is the 18th.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm getting a bunch of last minute sign ons (which is great!). I'm on my way to Target right now to pick up gatorades, waters, etc.

We've already begun marking out portions of the loop, and will finish in the next few days (though there will be certain 'unmarked' sections--good 'ole secret stash!).

Looks like this will be a great ride.

Again folks keep asking me about the pace (I guess people get nervous that it will blistering).

Look I'm leading this ride and I can't ride that fast-I'm mostly interested in getting folks to finish the ride and I think that will take a moderate steady pace (perhaps on the stronger side of moderate and steady-you won't be able to lollygag!).

That's not to say it will be easy-the terrain (which is both quite hilly and sometimes technical) and the mileage will make this ride pretty challenging at any speed. And while we won't set land speed records-we can't take all-day to finish either so a dedication to keep moving and the occasional extended hard push even when your pretty tired will be part of the ride.

But there will be break points, refueling and folks riding sweep. And, we're never far from the main North South roads of the region-at any point you're only a few minutes from an easy extended road ride either back to the cars or the shuttle point! So if you've had enough-there are ways out.

see you all Sunday!

Liam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Red is not in. Couldn't find anyone to cover work for me and one of the busted ribs is giving me fits lately.
    That makes two of us out with busted ribs. I should be in for Sept. 21 though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Color me Surprised! When I went to bed Saturday night I figured I'd get 12-15 riders, Imagine my shock when I was greeted by 28 (!!) riders Sunday morning-and we picked up 7 or 8 more along the way (capping out near 35 riders!). Though the terrain was Hilly (!!) and challenging, and the logistics of shepherding 35 riders through unfamiliar trails (quite a few stops, regroups, fixes, and finds) and shuttling multiple waves back to their cars, everyone really did a great job hanging in there and being patient with us organizers, and rode really well!

Goes to show you Mountain Biking is alive, well and growing in our region-and that's all good stuff!

Looking Forward to our next event on the 21st of September!

Liam

Members who have read this thread: 0