Pioneer Valley Epic # 1 Sept 12th-Tour of the Long Ridge Deerfield to Gill- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064

    Pioneer Valley Epic # 1 Sept 12th-Tour of the Long Ridge Deerfield to Gill

    Here it is, the first official post regarding the first epic ride in the PV Nemba Epic ride series.

    What: A Long Epic Group ride that will explore the great trails along the Ridge that stretches from South Deerfield to Gill along the Connecticut River

    When: September 12th Sunday at 8:00am until-?

    Where: We'll Meet and Park in the Bicycles Unlimited Parking Lot on High St in Greenfield. We'll then shuttle down to the beginning of the ride on Sugarloaf North on Hillside Ave in Deerfield. We'll finish the ride back at Bicycles Unlimited.


    It's been two years since last time I ran this ride. This year will be a little different, we'll park up north and shuttle down to Sugarloaf North and ride the great trails on that hill (we WON'T be doing the difficult hike a bike connector between north and south sugarloaf like we've done in the past).

    Basically, we'll be linking together the following local haunts: Sugarloaf North, Hillside Trails, Clapp's POnd/ Stairmaster Area, The Pocumtuck Ridge, The Deerfield Ridge and Erberlushea Trails, The Greenfield Ridge, Poet's Seat, Coke Plant and the Falls River Trails in Gill.

    This is a pretty great ride, I'm always amazed at how well all these smaller areas link together and form a pretty impressive riding region

    It's around 40 miles of riding (maybe more), there are a few fairly technically challenging stretches (on the Deerfield Ridge and Greenfield Ridge), but most of it is only mildly-rugged xc. There is a lot of climbing (and descending) probably more than the other two Epics. There are a few sections of pavement, and some double track stretches (that are still fun) and a ton of quality single track.

    There will be at least one water-refueling stop with bananas, cliff bars, and that sort of thing, but you'll need to carry anything else you'll want to eat.

    The pace will be moderate to moderately strong-the main focus, as always, will be to keep moving. I'll try to set a pace that keeps most of us together-but there's no way around the fact that this will be a long, fairly challenging ride. Expect 6-7 hours of ride time.

    We'll host a BBQ back at the parking area when the ride is over.

    Hope to see you there, on the 12th of September!

    Any Questions? Send them my way!

    Liam

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    Sick-o! I'm in!

    I think I'll have to add a front derailleur (and <32t ring) to my bike if I'm going to survive September.
    Last edited by smelly; 08-24-2010 at 08:08 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hado_pv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Sick-o! I'm in!

    I think I'll have to add a front derailleur (and <32t ring) to my bike if I'm going to survive September.
    Wise man. Sugarloaf North and especially Stairmaster overgeared in the first hours of a long ride would make for a painful next 5 hours.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Sick-o! I'm in!

    I think I'll have to add a front derailleur (and <32t ring) to my bike if I'm going to survive September.
    I was hoping you'd make the Trip! What are you running now on that bike???

    Harold is right-the first two hours serve up the biggest climbs (though not all of the climbs).

    This should be a good warm up to the B'Early (that's how I'm viewing it anyway!).

    By the Time we ride Rossi's Cream-Puff Epic we'll be ripping!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    I was hoping you'd make the Trip! What are you running now on that bike???

    Harold is right-the first two hours serve up the biggest climbs (though not all of the climbs).

    This should be a good warm up to the B'Early (that's how I'm viewing it anyway!).

    By the Time we ride Rossi's Cream-Puff Epic we'll be ripping!

    Enjoy your Epics boys. Unfortunately, my muffin-top will not be attending.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    I only have a 32t front ring. Methinks I'll switch to a 26-36 setup.


    JP- you pansy.



    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    I was hoping you'd make the Trip! What are you running now on that bike???

    Harold is right-the first two hours serve up the biggest climbs (though not all of the climbs).

    This should be a good warm up to the B'Early (that's how I'm viewing it anyway!).

    By the Time we ride Rossi's Cream-Puff Epic we'll be ripping!

  7. #7
    achiever
    Reputation: redwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    955
    For what it's worth, I'm running 32:21

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hado_pv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    For what it's worth, I'm running 32:21
    That might still hurt Kris.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  9. #9
    achiever
    Reputation: redwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    955
    That's as easy as it gets for me, H. I'd run a 22 but my freewheel is not coming off of that hub. Hopefully, I'll be able to build a wheelset in the winter but I'm not sure yet. The B'Early ride is the one I'm most worried about at this point...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    After the first two hours, Red, that gear will be fine (with even a taller gear you slayed the DAR after all)--with the exception of the Gill trails at the end of the epic....they might work you over a bit.

    But I'm with you, I'd think the B'Early Epic will be the real 'full-body' work over!

    Liam.

    I'm about to do a little 'training' in S-Loaf North right now in anticipation of the Sept 12th ride.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Well, everywhere is riding really well on the ridge at the moment-

    If I had to lead this ride today--I'm not sure I could do it! I have two hard weeks of training to be able to ride my own ride.

    This will be the best Fall of Epic rides the PV has hosted to date (and you can thank the Prime Motivation, Mr Rossi, for that). It's a more than worthy bicycling goal to ride all three.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    1 week to go and here are a few more thoughts. This will be x-posted to the nemba forums as well.

    1.PV- NEMBA will be supplying energy food and water at two stopping points along the route. And, we'll be hosting a BBQ after the ride (basic BBQ fare of course). So, we'd like to get an approximation of who's coming. If you're thinking of doing this ride please PM me (Liam) and let me know ASAP. If folks are coming with you, tell me that as well. We just don't want to over/under buy supplies. So that's one hosted long Epic ride, with food stops and a post ride BBQ on us, PV-NEMBA.

    2. Ok, this is a touchier subject-I've had a few people ask me if it will be easy to bail out on this ride if they find it too challenging. Here is my thoughts:

    a. Bailing Out: yeah, it's pretty easy and would involve never more than a 15 mile, easily-navigated, road ride back to the cars (and usually less).

    b. Look, there are reasons to bail on a long ride such as an unfixable mechanical, bad injury, or maybe it just ain't your day (which happens-last time I ran this one of the strongest riders on the ride had to bail-sometimes the body just isn't up to it's usual level of exertion). And that's OK!

    c. But here's something that's NOT ok: PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS RIDE WITH A PRE-PLAN to BAIL-OUT ahead of time. I'm sorry, but folks who show up thinking "I'll hang for a few hours and then bail out" are lame. Only come if you mean to make an earnest attempt to ride the whole ride. I'm willing to adjust the pace to get everyone who shows up to the end.

    If something happens along the way, or you find out you've gone way beyond your ability to keep going, that's fine (It might be me!)-just as long as you came meaning to ride the whole Epic.

    I think this goes for the other Epics as well!

    OK, enough of that-This will be a great, long and challenging ride in a beautiful region of the state, and PV-NEMBA will be supplying food and water. Just let me know if you're coming!

    Liam

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    1 week to go and here are a few more thoughts. This will be x-posted to the nemba forums as well.

    1.PV- NEMBA will be supplying energy food and water at two stopping points along the route. And, we'll be hosting a BBQ after the ride (basic BBQ fare of course). So, we'd like to get an approximation of who's coming. If you're thinking of doing this ride please PM me (Liam) and let me know ASAP. If folks are coming with you, tell me that as well. We just don't want to over/under buy supplies. So that's one hosted long Epic ride, with food stops and a post ride BBQ on us, PV-NEMBA.

    2. Ok, this is a touchier subject-I've had a few people ask me if it will be easy to bail out on this ride if they find it too challenging. Here is my thoughts:

    a. Bailing Out: yeah, it's pretty easy and would involve never more than a 15 mile, easily-navigated, road ride back to the cars (and usually less).

    b. Look, there are reasons to bail on a long ride such as an unfixable mechanical, bad injury, or maybe it just ain't your day (which happens-last time I ran this one of the strongest riders on the ride had to bail-sometimes the body just isn't up to it's usual level of exertion). And that's OK!

    c. But here's something that's NOT ok: PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS RIDE WITH A PRE-PLAN to BAIL-OUT ahead of time. I'm sorry, but folks who show up thinking "I'll hang for a few hours and then bail out" are lame. Only come if you mean to make an earnest attempt to ride the whole ride. I'm willing to adjust the pace to get everyone who shows up to the end.

    If something happens along the way, or you find out you've gone way beyond your ability to keep going, that's fine (It might be me!)-just as long as you came meaning to ride the whole Epic.

    I think this goes for the other Epics as well!

    OK, enough of that-This will be a great, long and challenging ride in a beautiful region of the state, and PV-NEMBA will be supplying food and water. Just let me know if you're coming!

    Liam

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    c. But here's something that's NOT ok: PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS RIDE WITH A PRE-PLAN to BAIL-OUT ahead of time. I'm sorry, but folks who show up thinking "I'll hang for a few hours and then bail out" are lame. Only come if you mean to make an earnest attempt to ride the whole ride. I'm willing to adjust the pace to get everyone who shows up to the end.

    If something happens along the way, or you find out you've gone way beyond your ability to keep going, that's fine (It might be me!)-just as long as you came meaning to ride the whole Epic.

    I think this goes for the other Epics as well!

    Quoted for emphasis.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Rain or shine, this ride is ON!

  16. #16
    achiever
    Reputation: redwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    955
    Crappy weather can only make this better. I love riding in less than perfect conditions.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hado_pv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Crappy weather up to the point where my glasses get consistently spotted with rain. At that point I bail, sorry. Visibility wins!
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.