Physical Therapist in Western Ma?- Mtbr.com
    Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

Physical Therapist in Western Ma?

So... both of my achilles tendons are giving me grief. I've got a doctors appointment on Friday and was just wondering if any of you have had any luck with local PTs.

Thanks.

JS

rack admirer

I am not a doc, but I am experienced

I am not a doc, but I am experienced with achiles tendonitis on and off for more years than I will admit to here.
    On the bike:
    check cleat position. toward toes will increase stress and towards the heel will reduce the stress. Certainly, your calf leverage will be less effective.
    Off the bike:
    wear heel lifts like Dr scholls foam pads to shorten your achilles. Wear them in everything including dress shoes.
    Everywhere:
    Ice and don't stretch when they hurt. Gentle stretching when they don't hurt.

I have also found that as a frequent exerciser, you can go efectively for a while before you aggrevate them. cut your outings short for a while so you can heal.

I have experienced this tendonitis mostly from basketball. Once aggrevated, the trouble manifested itself into bikeing and even swimming.
    MCM # 57

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. Interestingly, so far I've had no ill effects while biking (and I bike pretty 'vigorously'). Just figuring that the pain is just going to increase (off the bike) and so I had better not do anything for a bit other than seek medical attention. Totally depressing.

What did you do by way of therapy?

mtbr member
    Had ok luck with the folks at Cooley Dickinson, not so good with those in the old school. Your experiences might vary.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Members who have read this thread: 0