Pedros(?) Fest?

Printable View

• 05-13-2008
    bullymadison
    Pedros(?) Fest?
    So I know its not called Pedros anymore - Kenda or Dirt Rag has taken over. Anyone have info? I guess it is at the same location but is there any reason to believe that the trails will be better or that the camping might be less cramped etc.? i would imagine that new sponsors will inject new life but I really don't want to blow the weekend pass from the family again if it is like last year.
    Anyone have info to indicate that it will be better this year?
    thanx,
    BM
  • 05-13-2008
    woodsguy
    They have been very busy building new trails. They had a trail day last weekend. Check the website for the next dates. They also have a forum there where you can ask questions.
  • 05-13-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    The fest is what you make of it. I've had a blast every year I've gone. It's even fun when it rains. Of course, new sponsorship means things will be changed up a little bit -- which is typically a good thing.

- Chris
  • 05-14-2008
    bullymadison
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimpy00Wang
    The fest is what you make of it. I've had a blast every year I've gone. It's even fun when it rains. Of course, new sponsorship means things will be changed up a little bit -- which is typically a good thing.

- Chris

I agree - I've gone 4 years in a row. The riding just left a lot to be desired last year. Jiminy was great.
  • 05-14-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Ya know I'd probably agree with you if I was in a different group. I think you speak for many of the people that went last year. They weren't giving out maps like they did in previous years and the trails could have been marked better. I guess they were trying to get people out with ride leaders.

Then there's the issue with some of the better trials being deliberately hidden. The only real way to find them is if you've been on them a couple of times or if you had a guide. We lucked out when we were on the mountain the second day. We picked up a guide who was deserted and he showed us some killer trails.

They seem to be busting their tooshies this year with trail maintenance so hopefully we'll have some new and/or cleaned up trails to ride to mix things up a bit.

- Chris
  • 05-15-2008
    skiierx
    I have been quite a few times (lost count) and can agree last years trails were a little less desirable as they were just cut and not well marked. Reading the forums on the festivals site (posted by woodsguy) and asking a few questons it would appear that this year it will have more life and better/more trails. I (not that I matter more than anyone else but I wanted it known that I was upset that there were not maps available) requested more maps be available this year.

A few years ago (when it was at Noppit Hill Farm) I spoke to a couple of ride leaders and they stated that there is a huge problem with ATV's and dirtbikes reaking (sp) havoc on the trails so they have to keep them secret and not marked (meaning you had to walk in 20-30 yards on some good trails and have a ride leader). My friends and I like to ride with small groups and therefore was not able to find the good trails last year but we still had a great time. We have already committed to go this year and are looking forward to seeing what the new sponsors have done for us.
  • 07-08-2008
    1stiski
    this is going to be the 6th year for my group. I think that some writers hit the point, especailly on the newness of the trails last year. I know that they were freshly cut and you can't expect the best ride out of something that new. I do HOPE, that this year there is some sort of map , giving you some heads up on whats out there I know that there are ride leaders, and its probably best to hook up with a group to get to some of the good stuff., but, no less, I think that a map can be helpful, especially when you have some riders who are alittle timid about going in a big group, with fear of holding up people. I have to say that the location is far better than when it was over the mountain, the ground there never seemed to dry out, and when it was wet, the grounds became the swamp pit. Nasty. At the apple farm, the camping was great and the jobjonnies, were located all around in perfect relaton to where you were camping. I thought that the views from the farm were excellent, especially being able to see Jimmney Peak from the camp site. Really enjoyed watching the new Wind generator being put into service. At the old venue, I did enjoy some of the close trails, especially the sinister bike routes. What a blast. I hope that the trails have improved around the venue, its nice to go for a quick spin and be back at camp chillin, in 30 min. I will be at the Kenda Fest this year, and I know I will enjoy the event, no matter what awaits. I'm sure the trail crews have put their best effort out. See ya there.
  • 07-11-2008
    dang
    I haven't been in a few years but did go 3 consecutive years and I never saw any maps of all the good hidden trails but just the main forest trails. I purposely attended to learn the trails so I could ride there when visiting the area. The problem is you can get with a group that doesn't have a local ride leader who doesn't really know the area.

I think all the trail work is by volunteers so I don't think anyone can complain about them. I know from riding there that the trails had definately been cleaned up for last year's event because I was there 2 weeks before and same wknd. there was alot work done and I don't think anyone is getting paid.
  • 07-11-2008
    1stiski
    The payoff for doing trail work is bringing a smile to everyone who ride's your hardwork.
  • 07-16-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    The weather is looking good so far -- though that can change. At least for now they are predicting mostly sunny around 78 (Fri).

- Chris
  • 07-17-2008
    rbrsddn
    We did a 6 hour epic last year with a group that knew all the trails connecting the old Lanesboro location, and the new ones. If we hadn't met these guys, it would have been a few short rides. I like the new location, as the ground is more level, and you don't end up in the corner of your tent. It's gonna be fun as usual!
  • 07-17-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
    We did a 6 hour epic last year with a group that knew all the trails connecting the old Lanesboro location, and the new ones. If we hadn't met these guys, it would have been a few short rides. I like the new location, as the ground is more level, and you don't end up in the corner of your tent. It's gonna be fun as usual!

Is your name Rob or Steve by chance? :)

- Chris
  • 07-17-2008
    rbrsddn
    Nope, it's Ben. Why? did you do a 6 hour epic last year? I was too tired to move after that one!
  • 07-17-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Yeah...we typically turn in an epic ride on Sat. :) Last year we climbed the fest side of the mountain (up Broadie Mtn Road) on Fri in the morning. Then we ended up climbing the opposite side (same road) in the afternoon. I was super-tired... Two guys, Steve and Rob, joined our group for the Sat ride.

- Chris
  • 07-18-2008
    Wiz
    1sr timer
    whats up w/the car camping: got 4-8 serious biker friends that want to Drink, Eat & Ride on this one...We are Not loud people, but not going to put up w/yuppie make-crap up crap. We just want a congenial good time; as you:thumbsup:
  • 07-18-2008
    TAJ
    That was alot of words for basically asking about the vibe and camping conditions.

But anyway, What is the vibe and camping conditions?
  • 07-18-2008
    Wiz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TAJ
    That was alot of words for basically asking about the vibe and camping conditions.

But anyway, What is the vibe and camping conditions?

I apologize to all - just hung over & cranky - I'd delete it all, but hell it's just me, no wonder I'm divorced & ride solo eh. "But anyway"...Camping & Vibe?
  • 07-18-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    The vibe runs the gamut from family & kids to party hard/ride hard to hippie chique and everything in between.

- Chris
  • 07-18-2008
    rbrsddn
    Yeah, it's a good time, and most everybody is cool. The 11:00 quiet time deadline is a joke. Tequila will do that... Bring your ear plugs! :)
  • 07-18-2008
    rbrsddn
    Quote:

Yeah, it's a good time, and most everybody is cool. The 11:00 quiet time deadline is a joke. Tequila will do that... Bring your ear plugs! :)

I forgot to add, I had the best time in '04, when the Disco Tent was rockin, and Lance was killing them at the Tour. Beer Tent is always a good laugh too.:D
  • 07-19-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Quote:

There will be more enforcement of quiet time this year. We should do our part to help keep things under control as well. I know it's hard when we're having such a good time, but...

More info...

- Chris
  • 07-21-2008
    1stiski
    UP for any epic ride on Saturday, Stop by the Big White Chevy 4x4 Van (near the lone Apple tree) if we get there early. There are a few of us up for that Epic day of riding besides the stuff near the venue. We;re all advanced riders with a few of us being 24 hour vets. Lookin forward to the venue, should be interesting being under a new promoter this year. Either way , I know it will be good.
  • 07-22-2008
    midget
    if any local wants to show a demo guy around thursday that would be swell. i would really like to ride and get a taste of how to properly set up my bikes for you all to enjoy.

pm me and I hope i can get back to ya. that whole middle of nowhere and poor cell phone/internet connection is killing me a bit.

plus you might sneak in a great demo before it gets crazy. thanks in advance.
  • 07-23-2008
    1stiski
    Although he was going to a ride leader on the Kenda Fest schedule, Hans Rey won't be there, His Mother passed away suddenly. Sad news. He headed back to Europe .
  • 07-23-2008
    TheHare
    10am Expert ride will be Epic!!! :thumbsup: Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stiski
    UP for any epic ride on Saturday, Stop by the Big White Chevy 4x4 Van (near the lone Apple tree) if we get there early. There are a few of us up for that Epic day of riding besides the stuff near the venue. We;re all advanced riders with a few of us being 24 hour vets. Lookin forward to the venue, should be interesting being under a new promoter this year. Either way , I know it will be good.

• 07-24-2008
    redwarrior
    2 years ago: can't go, working.

Last year: can't go, family vacation

This year: can't go, wife in triathalon... but wait, she decides not to go! Guess I need to change that to: can't go, wife caring for husband with broken ribs. :madman:

Any pics from the fest would be appreciated!

Red
  • 07-24-2008
    Tim Mailloux
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redwarrior
    2 years ago: can't go, working.

Last year: can't go, family vacation

This year: can't go, wife in triathalon... but wait, she decides not to go! Guess I need to change that to: can't go, wife caring for husband with broken ribs. :madman:

Any pics from the fest would be appreciated!

Red

If your going to let a little thing like 3 broken ribs and a bruised lung keep you from riding your not nearly as tough as I thought ;)
  • 07-24-2008
    redwarrior
    It's not the ribs holding me up, it's that I'm under heavy surveillance from my wife! If I take enough of those big white pills, I bet I can ride anywhere right now :rockon:
  • 07-24-2008
    rbrsddn
    I broke my collarbone in half right before the TDF in '03. It's amazing how much TV you can watch while recovering with the help of vicodin! I'm packed and ready to go at 6 tomorrow! (Fri) It is going to be an awesome weekend as usual! :-)
  • 07-28-2008
    bullymadison
    Soooo... How was it?
  • 07-28-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    There was an insane storm on Sat night! I was nice and cozy in my tent, but others didn't fair as well. Our neighbor's canopy flipped over on top of their tents and many, many pop-ups were destroyed.

Riding was great as always. Rode some old trails and checked out some new. I met LOTS of new people this year.

- Chris
  • 07-28-2008
    1stiski
    Kenda / Dirt Rag pulled off a great event. I was glad to see some new trails in on the maps when we got there. the A loop / Kenda Loop above Brodie was awsome. Great stuff. Glad I took the Pugsley to the event, the fat tires just ate up the little bit of roots on the trails, expecially the special new england peanut butter mud. !!!!! YA, that saturday night storm, (actually 2 AM Sunday) was a mean one, the light show and torrent rain was very WOW. We didn't have any carnage at our site, but the neighbors had some canopy issues and the venue had a few problems. At least the exits out of the fest site didn't get too nastywith mud, there were a few people stuck , but not real bad. THE LUNA girls were a cool bunch of chicks with great smiles. I'll post some pics asap. Lookin forward to the next one. !!!
  • 07-28-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Hey 1stiski I might have chatted with you on the A trail. I recall your grape geared pug. :) The LUNA chics are awesome. I had the pleasure of chatting w/Roz and Stephanie for a bit at the disco tent.

Oh...here are some pics from Sat night. I have some video from the trails, but need to edit it.

- Chris
  • 07-28-2008
    Circusjunk
    awesome time !!!

I have no idea how i got the pleasesure of leading Marla Streb around on a friday night ride but i did and it was fun and no I was not a festival voluenteer , we just went out as a small group of 5 and she hooked up with us.

Lots of pics and reviews of the event here.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206485
  • 07-29-2008
    1stiski
    Quote:

Hey 1stiski I might have chatted with you on the A trail. I recall your grape geared pug. :) The LUNA chics are awesome. I had the pleasure of chatting w/Roz and Stephanie for a bit at the disco tent.

Oh...here are some pics from Sat night. I have some video from the trails, but need to edit it.

- Chris

Sorry, wrong pugs, !, I had the gray pugs but I also chatted with the fella on the purple pugs. He was running the Nokia Gazz tires, I had the Inova Endo tires, my tires just ate up the roots. It was a great time.
  • 07-29-2008
    Repack Rider
    Anybody come to the screening of "Klunkerz?"
  • 07-29-2008
    guitarmark
    I was at the screening for ''Klunkerz'' it was one of the highlights of the weekend!!!
    Great flix, I learned alot about the history of mountain biking . My buddy and got to sit
    next to one of the people in the film....YOU!!!!! You told us how you still have the scar on
    your hand, same as the one in the film. Thanks for the good vibes.
  • 07-29-2008
    1stiski
    I took in Klunkerz,on Sat evening. Great pics and retro stuff. I got a good laugh outa the whole deal. I've been Mountain Biking since 1984 and concider myself as a life time biker. I can't remember anytime in my life when I didn't have wheels . From my wooden 3 wheeler to my current rides. Its great to see the sport growing in leaps and bounds. Can anyone remember the web site to order Klunkerz?? I took in the movie after the burbon seminar , and a few libations.
  • 07-29-2008
    Repack Rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stiski
    Can anyone remember the web site to order Klunkerz?? I took in the movie after the burbon seminar , and a few libations.

Go here.
  • 08-06-2008
    scooterendo
    Thanks CK
    I just want to publicly say 'thanks' to CK for representing the film, and to all those who came to the screenings. I wish I could have been there. I sure sounds like a blast. Bikes, rain and Whiskey, what's not to like?

CAUTION: SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION...

If you enjoyed the film, don't be shy about posting your thoughts on IMBD.com, MRQE.com, Rotten Tomatoes.com, Blogs, or anywhere that might send some traffic my way. You could also buy a DVD off the klunkerz website, which would be nice:p .

Ride on!
  • 09-01-2008
    TripleGem
    Well, well
    Quote:

- Chris

The LUNA Chix (and Evan) had a blast at the Disco Tent on Saturday night! We'll be back for a third year for sure. More chatting, smiling and disco-ing to come. Anyone have dates for 2009 (yikes!)?

www.bostonlunachixcyling.com
  • 09-02-2008
    Gimpy00Wang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleGem
    The LUNA Chix (and Evan) had a blast at the Disco Tent on Saturday night! We'll be back for a third year for sure. More chatting, smiling and disco-ing to come. Anyone have dates for 2009 (yikes!)?

www.bostonlunachixcyling.com

We had a great time too. Y'all going to Wompy this weekend? I'll be in PA so I'll miss it. :(

I'm sure it will be the last or second-to-last weekend in July again. If you email Joan she might have the exact date picked already.

- Chris