OTIS, TOT, Nickerson Update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OTIS, TOT, Nickerson Update

Please!!!

mtbr member
    Please x2!

!snotrocket!
    just rode nickerson and it's all clear... for now.

I'm good at crashing
    can we get an update sometime tomorrow..we may be heading down Sunday if it still is clear. Thanks guys......

JBH
    mtbr member
    Rained pretty good last night and today on the lower cape. I'm guessing Nickerson should dry out well with the wind forecasted for later tonight. I may hit it up in the morning. Will post an update if I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    woke up to 2 inches on the ground in sandwich and it was raining. Cold weather should put a freeze on everything and make tot ridable. I hiked out there last weekend with my son and it was packed in w/ foot traffic. Going to try and hit it up tomorrow afternoon. should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    also if anyone is heading down let me know. I can ride anytime after 2 and could do a tour.

mtbr member
    Updates later please, would like to ride this weekend if possible, Otis ideally but ToT or Nickerson would be just as good, just a shorter drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Heston a la Moses: "OH LORD!?!"
    Stone tablets pressed against his chest arc plasma to the heavens.
    "Let there be dirt."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Yarmouth last night and going to TOT right now. I don't think NIckerson is necessary. it was so warm and we got alot, alot of rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and what a ride from hell. I had the winter beater and it needs new derailleur pullies and B spring and was ghost shifting all over the place and then one of the larger cogs in the 8spd cass bent... . late 90s'

UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!! just got off the phone with someone who was at TOT right now . my prediction was wrong!!! it's all ice over crusty snow and bare ground. he says studs there.
    but again, Yarmouth was bare ground with some ice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Studs needed at Nickerson for Sunday Ride?

A buddy and I are planning to ride Nickerson on Sunday morning. Will studs be necessary? Also, if anyone wants to meet at 9 let me know. We have never been there and are driving from western Mass to find dirt. jenncraig2006 at hotmail dot com

I'm good at crashing
    Looks like a small group of us will be hitting Nickerson Sunday...around 10:30 or 11 I believe. If possible for anyone riding it Today, can we get a snow/ice report? thanks I really appreciate all the help here getting the word out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Nickerson Conditions

Just got back from riding Nickerson. There is zero snow there. Trails are 99.7% ice free. There was maybe a 300ft icy patch along Cliff Pond and a few more patches under power lines in northeast corner of park. Studs are not needed. Trails are frozen rock hard. Bring your race bike!

Driving east on Rt 6, there was quite a bit of snow in Sandwich (ToT area). I speculate ToT is rideable with studs, but venturing off ToT in Sandwich towards the golf course might be unrideable. From Exit 5 to Exit 7 (Willow St), the snow completely disappears. I find this snow cover map to be pretty accurate most of the time. It doesn't always get updated early in the day: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html. You can see there is a pretty steep gradient from 8-10" at the cannel to 0" by mid-Cape.

-The Hill Junkie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwreck
    Looks like a small group of us will be hitting Nickerson Sunday...around 10:30 or 11 I believe. If possible for anyone riding it Today, can we get a snow/ice report? thanks I really appreciate all the help here getting the word out.

Dwreck,

I may try and hookup with your group Sunday A.M. I've ridden Nickerson once before but am clueless to where to ride. Where do you normally park? I'll be driving a blue BMW 330i.

mtbr member
    I just got word that Miles Standish is very rideable with or without studs. They have a lot of snow so I assume they must be riding on the packed snowmobile trails. I think I'll ride there Sunday instead of Nickerson since it's 20 miles away for me vs. 80 miles to Nickerson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TOT was a disappointment. lots of crusty snow with some ice but slow,slow,slow. yarmouth is totally snow free with very little ice.

Does Miles Standish have anything but double track? I've only ridden through there on my road bike.

mtbr member
    We're meeting at Upper College Pond road which is in the center of the forest. Not certain exactly what trails they plan to ride but reports from those who rode it Saturday said conditions were hard packed snow NO ice and studs were not necessary.

I'm good at crashing
    great update....we are elaving right now to hit nickerson...probably be there about 11:30 or so...anyone wants to join look for a silver saab and a guy in sorts and dh gear and a woman with a pink full face...thanks for the update...

JBH
    mtbr member

Nickerson update

OTIS, TOT, Nickerson Update-securedownload.jpeg

Hit up Nickerson with Rotten Dan this morning. Trails were in great shape with very little ice. Rotten Dan was tearing it up on his Pugs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i am cold just looking at those pics

I'm good at crashing
    hit Nickerson yesterday...was wierd as hell...got there at about 11:15 riding by 11:30...about 1:15 it started to flurry a bit, and withing about 20 minutes it was a complete white out. Kept riding for a few and then thought of an hour plus ride home in the snow so headed for the car to find it totally covered in snow. By the time I hit exit 8 there was nothing but blue skies and sunlight...no snow. Seems that old man winter just wanted to dump on Nickerson...either way got some great riding in for a couple hours...hope this weeks storm misses the lower cape

I'm good at crashing
    hiking my bike up a chute in nickerson on Sunday the 23rd...

I'm good at crashing
    coming down thew chute...good fun just wish these were longer...

mtbr member
    Myles Standish was OK yesterday. Lots of snow but we could ride wherever the snowmobiles had gone. Also, most of the untrammeled snow could be ridden on top of as it was almost frozen solid.

Myles Standish has a LOT of trails in it's 15,000 acres. But you have to get off the dirt roads to find them.

mtbr member
    I hope this forecast for Barnstable County(Cape) is WRONG, but I suspect not. Welcome to the jungle.
    Tonight...Snow. Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Blustery. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Thursday...Partly sunny with snow in the morning...then sunny in the afternoon. Total snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Blustery. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph in the morning. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Thursday Night...Mostly clear in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler with lows 16 to 22. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph...decreasing to 20 mph after midnight.

Friday...Cloudy. Highs in the lower 30s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Cloudy. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday And Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 30s. Lows in the lower 20s.

Sunday And Sunday Night...Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 20s. Lows 10 to 15.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we'll see 03303. even though we really don't have snow TOT hasn't been ridable for longer than usual. it's weird. I look around my area 3.3 miles from TOT or Yarmouth and all's great but... .

we have 5" at 0700 thurs.

mtbr member
    What'd you guys get down there? We got 16 inches on Cape Ann. We won't be seeing dirt for a long time here.

mtbr member
    Tears got 4-5" of fresh snow. Underneath all that is frozen layer of ice and crunchy snow. I think Yarmouth got a little bit less but I imagine it's still pretty sketchy to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    What'd you guys get down there? We got 16 inches on Cape Ann. We won't be seeing dirt for a long time here.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009

Nickerson

Anyone ride Nick. today? Hoping to find out how much snow is on the ground. The snow depth map and weather prediction for today looks like it may be good tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Willow St, Yarmouth

rode 13+ miles today from exit 7, some of the best winter conditions I've seen in a few years. couple of inches of "corned" snow on top of a few inches of ice/snow base layer. didn't use or have any need for studded tires.

who knows what the weather this week will do.

if you have the time and are willing to deal with the colder temps, get out there tomorrow.

kmd

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Nickerson conditions

I rode a full sweep of Nick today. Trails are 100% snow covered, but depth ranges from 1" under the pines to 2" in open areas. Popular hiking trails that were packed softened up a bit in the afternoon sun and traction became harder to come by. Some trails had no tracks of any kind and were marvelous to ride.

JBH
    mtbr member
    Pretty sure I saw your tracks. I rode this afternoon and it was strarting to soften up quite a bit. Fun ride though.

mtbr member
    That's great news about Yarmouth and Nickerson! I tried riding tears on Friday before work but turned around after 100 yards - too heavy, slow and sloggy to have any fun.

There seems to be a line at exit 6 that makes everything to the east of exit 6 manageable to ride. Going to hit up Yarmouth Tuesday before the NEXT storm!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBH
    Pretty sure I saw your tracks. I rode this afternoon and it was strarting to soften up quite a bit. Fun ride though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    may have to try going further east to Yarmouth or Nickerson. I've done ToT and Otis for years when its too snowing off cape but this is the first time I can remeber not being able to ride MTB for the whole month of January. this winter blows.

mtbr member
    What happened at the Cape with this storm?

Anything ride-able?

Inquiring minds want to know...

mtbr member
    Me too!

Rider of Bikes
    Me three! I want to head down there on Sunday from the Northshore

mtbr member
    Inquiring mnds in NY willing to drive want to know too.

Conditions please

Nostralpicas
    Its fine at nickerson I'll be riding it sunday at 9
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Tic Tac: Is Nickerson good without studs? Thanks

Nostralpicas
    I'll check it out today and get back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    I'll check it out today and get back
    How was it fresh breath?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    rode Willow St again today.

good with studded tires on. dunno how much I'd like it without..

kmd

Nostralpicas
    Nickerson has a lot of ice studs for sure or ride in the afternoon. Hopefully Saturday's weather will help.

Rider of Bikes
    well, i'm going to drive down to Nickerson tomorrow from north of Boston. I'd like to see some dirt in person hopefully. i have no studs, but i'll run em low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we're getting so much rain right now that I'm hoping when I awake I'll see lots of colors but white and won't have to ride the road again or bother with mounting my studs. can't but can ride the road dbl days but will have to at least change bicycles. I really enjoy mtbiking more than roadriding. if I had a... .

I'm down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lots of thunder, lightning..and best of all RAIN last night. Grounds look significantly better, not sure how ToT and Otis fared...My backyard is the Sandwich powerline about 2 mi from ToT,and I still see a fair amount of snow covering the open areas. I'm guessing in the woods what's not frozen is mud and slush, so the conditions may not be the best for riding. Hopefully some sunshine and a strong breeze keeps up the melting for the next 48hrs.

mtbr member
    How do you think Willow St will be?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got a call from a friend who'd tried Otis at 10am....said it's a no go....And we wait.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Did anyone ride Nickerson today? If so how was it?

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Did anyone ride Nickerson today? If so how was it?

mtbr member
    When I rode by Willow St on Rt 6, the trails that I could see on the south side looked like all ice.
    I took the road bike out instead. My house in Dennis has very little snow/ice, if any. I would thick Nickerson would be clear.
    But it could be very muddy.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I checked the NOHRSC snow cover map this morning, and it showed snow only in Otis/ToT area. Willow St and east was bare. So I left my winter bike with studs home and brought my singlespeed out to Nickerson. Big mistake! Pretty much anything that had foot traffic when there was snow had extensive patches of boiler plate ice now. I started out on south end of Nick and soon gave up any hope of riding trails. The doubletrack was completely unrideable. Couldn't even stand up on it. I ended up riding the paved rail trail for three hours with a small SS gear. Even that was uber icy in spots and I went down once. It got warm this afternoon, so maybe some of the ice melted. Curious to hear how folks with studs made out or if other areas of Nick had less ice.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Thanks neclimber.....nice to get this info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe
    How do you think Willow St will be?
    As of yesterday morning, Willow was only realistically rideable with studs. Just too much ice on the trails. Meltwater seems to be draining from the woods and collecting in the trails, where it then freezes. Two of us rode in about half a mile from the Willow side, and turned around and went over to the boy scout trails. Those were a lot more rideable, but there was still quite a bit of ice.
    I doubt Willow will be rideable for a bit without studs, though who knows after tomorrow's weather.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Studs would have been awesome at Willow Sunday morning. We didn't have studs. It wasn't awesome. Ice city.
    The boy scout camp trails are in better shape - not great, but rideable with some hiking. Just stay away from the camp roads as they are rivers of ice (as is the dirt portion of Summer St).
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

Tool
    I was at Nickerson yesterday. The stuff we rode was at least 90% dirt. The only continuous ice we ran into was on one shaded side of Cliff Pond. No regrets on choosing studs for this ride, but we would have had a great day on rubber, too.

This was my first ride there, so I don't know the park very well. We parked at the main State Park lot, and did a few laps around Cliff Pond. We also hit some other singletrack that I think was north of Flax Pond.

It was a long drive from Manchester, NH, but well worth it to ride dirt in short sleeves.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode Otis today as I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. 75% not rideable. 2-4 inches of snow. Very little Ice.. 25% bare spots. I walked a lot more than rode, carried my bike 1/4 mile, jumped on a paved road for 2 miles, broke my chain, finaly stepped into a stream up to my knee and limped home a broken man.

!snotrocket!
    rode nickerson this afternoon and it's all clear. slush and mush in spots but no real ice to speak of. temps are supposed to drop this week so it should be fast frozen fun. perfect conditions to hit up the gauntlet in wellfleet. any one been up there this winter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    anyone seen TOT this week?
    studs needed?

kmd

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i have been keeping an eye on willow st when i drive by and i could see ice from the street for the longest time but i don't see any street on the single track from the street or highway. either sat or sunday i am probably going to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    any chance of getting a address to use with google maps ? Wouldn't mind trying this weekend for a slow ss ride. Need to re-acquaint myself with my bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Yarmouth last night and tonight and the route I take which starts in Centerville then Hathaway Pond... . was ok. not great but I'll take it. some ice for sure but it's only really bad in open areas like around Hathaway Pond and some sections of ST were interesting.

I'm not sure I'd bother with studs. but that's because I don't feel like mounting them to my good daily ride. I usually would have them on my winter beater but it's beat.

let me say this. I rode same route last week(sat?) on a warm day and it sucked badly. it was wet and sections were defrosted and I was pedalling just to go down hill! some flat sections felt like someone had a rope attached to me and pulling. so right now I had enough fun out there without having to get the road bike out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I might go near TOT this Sat to check it out but I suspect it's unridable even with studs. but I might be wrong. I was surprised the last time I was there how little it had improved. we have had a major and minor rain day so.... I'm not willing to gamble with my ride time during the week so I ride where... .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We are suppose to have 5-7 straight days of thawing weather before next weekend. Hopefully we can gain some trail access before the president's day weekend! (especially for those of us that work in public education and have that entire week available to ride!)

mtbr member
    Rode yarmouth today thursday 2/10 it was good. I rode the trails north of
    Rte6,,,,,,,,,, the trails along the southside of rte 6 looked a bit glazed and icy from the highway.
    Tears is a mess & I would highly advise riding either nickerson or yarmouth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the longer days are getting nicer. I really like daylight.

mtbr member
    10 day forecast for the Cape looks promising, only one day below freezing, nights are still cold, but I'm hoping Otis is rideable by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    newking - I'm familiar with the trails on the south side of Rt 6. Any pointers where to gain access to north side trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neclimber
    newking - I'm familiar with the trails on the south side of Rt 6. Any pointers where to gain access to north side trails?
    You can park on Mary Dunn Rd and go in at the water tower.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by neclimber

Rider of Bikes
    Rode Nickerson SP today and it's 99% dirt.....it was awesome!

I'm good at crashing
    My cousin, my wife and I rode nickerson on Saturday...it was great. Very small , like 10 foot, patches of snow here and there maybe 4 in total...otherwise totally clear....great day. I went solo on Sunday again and had a ball. Hit all the downs out of the campgrounds for some good DH fun...also rode the Cliff ponf loop as well...it was a great day...well worth the long ass ride to get there.

mtbr member
    Any updates on Otis? Rideable by this weekend?

mtbr member

2.16.11 Update

Update as of Tuesday 2.16.11: Avoid Trail of Tears at all costs. I would hazard a guess that Otis is not ride-able as well. I live close to tears and rode the Big Ring lot and turned around after I hit the metal bridge. All ice, slush and mud. Saw some walkers and they were complaining as well about all the ice. It's just not ready to ride....even with studs (which I don't use) you will have a miserable, slow ride.

So after dumping my bike once and going ~200 yards promptly drove to Yarmouth and had a great 10 mile ride on dirt and only had to walk two small sections for ~20 feet. Pretty much 99% snow and ice free and very little mud or soft dirt. I think all the wind sucked a good amout of moisture out of the ground after the last melt down.

It may warm up and change a little over the next couple of days but the "line in the snow and ice and slush" seems to be exit #6. Go EAST to Yarmouth or Nickerson if you want to ride at a fast pace on dirt.

This is just not the year for Tear (and otis?). Hope it will be ready in two weeks in March when the clocks roll back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwreck
    My cousin, my wife and I rode nickerson on Saturday...it was great. Very small , like 10 foot, patches of snow here and there maybe 4 in total...otherwise totally clear....great day. I went solo on Sunday again and had a ball. Hit all the downs out of the campgrounds for some good DH fun...also rode the Cliff ponf loop as well...it was a great day...well worth the long ass ride to get there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    total agreement with the previous post about TOT.

rode today for 8 miles. HUGE amount of ice. even on studded 29r tires, about 1/2 of the climbs are not ridable. just too much, too wide of ice.

I've been pretty happy on a number of rides that require studs, but this was not one of them.

my guess, having been on the Cape to ride at least once a week since all this winter weather, is that the thaw of the next couple of days will melt a good part of the ice. however, in addition to that, I'd expect that TOT will not be ridable until after the next freeze. temps predicted for this Sat would be too warm, the trails will be messy and muddy. Sunday might be OK but I'd keep the studded tires in the car if you're coming from any distance.

my advise: go to Yarmouth or Nick.

see ya there, kmd

mtbr member
    Good Post. When you drive by Tears from Great Hill or 149 or some of the border roads it looks like the snow has melted but the trails are a different story. KMDMAC - did you see lots of trees down & across the trail from all the storms?

Yarmouth was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by kmdmac
    total agreement with the previous post about TOT.

rode today for 8 miles. HUGE amount of ice. even on studded 29r tires, about 1/2 of the climbs are not ridable. just too much, too wide of ice.

I've been pretty happy on a number of rides that require studs, but this was not one of them.

my guess, having been on the Cape to ride at least once a week since all this winter weather, is that the thaw of the next couple of days will melt a good part of the ice. however, in addition to that, I'd expect that TOT will not be ridable until after the next freeze. temps predicted for this Sat would be too warm, the trails will be messy and muddy. Sunday might be OK but I'd keep the studded tires in the car if you're coming from any distance.

my advise: go to Yarmouth or Nick.

see ya there, kmd

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yep, quite a few trees and branches down.

and oh ya, ice, ice

mtbr member
    Bummer, I was going to head to Otis on Saturday. I guess the road bike may be coming out (as long as the 40 mph winds we're expecting don't blow me over).

I'm good at crashing
    why not just wenture down to exit 12 and hit Nickerson? It was totally clear last week...I know I will be there this weekend at least one of the days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's school vacation week which means I have all week to travel and ride. I know Nickerson is clear, any ideas on Otis, TOT, or even Wampy after the thaw on friday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One day of warmth isn't enough to put a serious dent in the ice/snow buildup at Otis and ToT...I would say a full week of days above freezing will give the best chance to make it worth riding. Crazy winter for sure..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Was at Otis today. Was in suprisingly good shape and had a great time. It was clear far more than not.

I'm good at crashing
    we rode Nickerson again on Sunday...was a bit chilly with that wind blowing non-stop. Realizing how out of shape I can get when only riding maybe one day a week for the past month and a half.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

otis

Rode Otis yesteday, some snow and ice patches around but mostly clear. Well worth the trip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliades
    Rode Otis yesteday, some snow and ice patches around but mostly clear. Well worth the trip

Did you need studs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

otis

I didn't use studs, Got off the bike once or twice in about two hours to avoid some ice.

mtbr member
    Great! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member

Map of Otis

Anyone have a link or thread where I can find a Map of Otis. May try to go on Saturday. It will be my first time there.

Thanks

mtbr member
    What trails are people riding in Yarmouth? Is there a map? How about parking and where to ride on the trails?

Thanks,

John

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thoughts for Thursday 2/24

looks like the area got some snow earlier in the week...but seems to be melting quickly.
    Any idea on trail conditions might be like at ToT or Otis for tomorrow, 2/24??? Nickerson??

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ToT is still icy, Willow St is clear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Otis

Called a friend on the Cape, they said the snow from Monday is pretty much gone

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hani1... you can explore otis... Take 28 till the 151 intersection. the trail head is within 150 yards of the off ramp (go right under 28 and it will be on your left)... You can ride along rt 28 for a few milesand explore... if you look at google maps it is pretty easy to see what I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just rode Nickerson and it's awesome, just perfect. I was surprised the whole park was empty.

mtbr member
    Rode Willow St in Yarmouth today. 100% snow free and in great shape.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Great to hear about both.

Anyone riding Nickerson tomorrow morning? I'll be there b/t 7:30 8:00. Only my second time so I am looking for guidance on the best are to ride.

I found this GPS link that I am going to follow somewhat (probably won't ride for more than 1.hrs) Any advice would be appreciated.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68934692

the train keeps rollin
    Who's got the most current status? Looking to ride OTIS tomorrow, not sure if it's a lake or what?

Thanks!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I live in Dennis, and we got like a dusting of snow Fri night and supposed to get a bit more tonight, but I'm still going to ride Nickerson tomorrow late afternoon. No idea about the otis end of the cape.

mtbr member
    Rode Otis today, little bit of snow, a little slushy, but definitely rideable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ToT was in good shape too. Just an inch of wet snow that was half gone by the time I finished. No studs needed. Many riders were on ToT today.

mtbr member
    I rode nickerson on Sat and it was fine even with the 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. It should be all clear by the end of the day if not already.

Can't wait to hit ToT after hearing the good report.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Thoughts on Otis this weekend? Never been there b4, just moved to Mass 3 weeks ago (Framingham) -- any suggestions for a newbie?

mtbr member
    I've never been to Otis so I can't comment but anywhere on the cape should be good given the recent reports.

I am going to try to ride at Callahan tomorrow night, which is right in Framingham. My expectations are very low.

May 2009
    I live on Edmands, and there is quite a lot of snow. Are you riding with lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero
    Thoughts on Otis this weekend? Never been there b4, just moved to Mass 3 weeks ago (Framingham) -- any suggestions for a newbie?
    Should be good, it's going to be sunny Tues-Fri, then rain is predicted Sat-Sun. If it doesn't rain much, should be really good riding. Otis doesn't get as muddy as some other places because the soil is a bit sandier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, the cape should be good, but muddy riding after this week. Nickerson has been in good shape for a while now. The South Shore got some warmer than expected weather today and I am crossing my fingers that Swampatuck might be rideable as early as Sunday....

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1
    I am going to try to ride at Callahan tomorrow night, which is right in Framingham. My expectations are very low.

What time are you hitting callahan, and where are you going in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero
    What time are you hitting callahan, and where are you going in?

I should get there around 6:00-6:30 at the edmands road entrance. I will be riding with lights and studs. Even then it might be short lived depending on the conditions.

May 2009
    Good luck with it -- maybe I'll see you out there someday; I'd hesh it out with you, but my lights are still in Vermont. You should let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Back to Otis, TOT and Nickerson...

Reports? NOAA shows good news: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raineman
    Back to Otis, TOT and Nickerson...

Noted I will move this conversation to the other winter riding thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=677019

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode a bit after work at ToT only about 7mi...It was in great condition, only small areas of ice where the sun doesn't hit directly, some soft spots in low areas that do receive the sun. Very rideable, and as long as you avoid the soft areas you won't be doing any damage riding.

It was great getting back out on the bike, in just a couple weeks we'll get the DST and an extra hour of daylight for riding.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J
    It was great getting back out on the bike, in just a couple weeks we'll get the DST and an extra hour of daylight for riding.
    -Gabe
    Same amount of daylight, some of us get up early

mtbr member
    Good news from the not Otis TOT and Nickerson winter conditions again thread:

36 Minutes Ago #46
    dan0
    Vaginatarian
    Posts: 5,441 rode Otis yesterday, just about perfect conditions. no mud , no snow 45-50 degrees

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Who is riding Otis this weekend?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast
    Who is riding Otis this weekend?
    Quite possibly me.

I wanted to hit it tomorrow due to the forecast, but my friends can't make it. We're aiming for Sunday morning.

If anyone hits Otis, or ToT tomorrow, please post an update. Looks like things are pretty good down there right now, though.

-Pete

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    We have a group of at least 4 for Sunday at 9:00. Looking forward to seeing some dirt.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    At NSP again today it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Otis was great today. Only a couple of ice spots here and their but like 99.9% dry dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Otis was Great today! put in a solid 20 miles, lots of other riders enjoing the dirt.

May 2009
    Otis kicked ass on Saturday indeed!

Tool
    Don't know what Otis was like on Saturday, but it was heavenly on Sunday with tons of 68 degree sun!

bike dork
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    Don't know what Otis was like on Saturday, but it was heavenly on Sunday with tons of 68 degree sun!
    Yeah it was! Awesome to ride without a jacket or long sleeves. A few pics from yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OTIS, TOT, Nickerson Update-dee-otis-1.jpg  

OTIS, TOT, Nickerson Update-frate-otis-air.jpg  

Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got a quick ride in at Otis today and it was as dry as could be. I've got a feeling I'll be spending a bit more time there this summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    glad to hear otis is good to go... as far as good riding over the bridges i don't think any can beat or even comes close to otis.

as the weather gets better and better i can venture further up rt 3 and over towards the vietnam area... i don't even want to think about how wet wompatuck probably is right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sunday was awesome. Today at ToT it was really good for March, but slow and chewy in the flat areas and leaf covered in the high areas. Had a sweet wash out right into a rock garden bombing down one section. The adrenaline after that fall just made me even stronger though. It was really great out there today. There were a few walkers and lots of dog shits. It seems dog owners don't care to move craps in early spring.

mtbr member
    Otis on Sunday was amazing! Perfect conditions!

Riding in shorts was great, except I took off my tights at one point and put them in my jersey pocket and they fell out on the trail somewhere!

If anyone runs across of medium Pearl Izumi Thermafleece tights on the trails I'd love to have them back!
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred
    Otis on Sunday was amazing! Perfect conditions!

Riding in shorts was great, except I took off my tights at one point and put them in my jersey pocket and they fell out on the trail somewhere!

If anyone runs across of medium Pearl Izumi Thermafleece tights on the trails I'd love to have them back!

A guy over on the nemba forums has your pants!

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...-found-at-otis

mtbr member
    PM sent - thank you so much!
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    A guy over on the nemba forums has your pants!

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...-found-at-otis
    Good stuff rite there............CF.

mtbr member
    First time I've ever had something fall out of a jersey pocket!

I figured they were gone forever (and they ain't cheap!) The close-knit-ness of the MTB community amazes me once again!
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    lol that is pretty amazing. Hi fives to a good community in an internet world of jerky ones.

mtbr member
    Hey all,
    I'm riding Otis for the first time tomorrow.
    Should I use my lighter XC bike _ or _ my Nomad w/ more travel (heavier)

thanks!

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9
    Hey all,
    I'm riding Otis for the first time tomorrow.
    Should I use my lighter XC bike _ or _ my Nomad w/ more travel (heavier)

thanks!
    XC all the way. The trails are really buff. There are a few features for which you'd want your beefier bike, but there are very few of them. The main feature of Otis is buff XC trails. Pace yourself - you'll either be going up or down in short bursts all day, and it wears you out deceptively quickly depending on your conditioning and experience.

Enjoy! I was at ToT today and it was awesome - shorts and short sleeves. No mud.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    We did almost 1800 ft. of climbing at Otis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    just to reinforce what the last two guys said... an xc bike i think would be best... there are little things to do on the side of trails but since you are going by yourself i assume you will be mostly pedaling, and most of the fun things on the side of the trails are easily done on any kind of bike...

there were tons of people there today. probably six or seven cars at the trial head and another five or six parked down the street... i don't know what it is about that place but no matter how busy it seems i almost never see people on the trails, i must be taken the trails lesss traveled or something.

mtbr member
    if you're coming from the North (like most of us from off-cape), you can save a little driving time by parking in the strip mall area behind the TD bank on 28.

There's a trailhead straight across 28 that leads south to the powerlines, and picks up again after crossing the cemetary road coming in from the rotary. It's a little more secure than leaving your car at the southern trailhead, I've heard reports of break-in's there in the past. (and Hacienda's in the corner of the mall serves kick-ass breakfasts).
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tot was good today, super warm and sunny. Saw some horses, walkers, a few riders and the range was going off. The extra hour of light is really great for me b/c I work a night shift and get up at like 1-2pm. Spring is here!

mtbr member
    Riding was incredible at Otis on Sunday. We were in there for a couple hours, saw a bunch of people. We had quite a few mechanical issues though, at one point we had the cranks, bashgaurd and chainrings off my buddies Stumpjumper. I was having shifting issues, dropped my chain and I need to take out my BB and clean it, sounds like there's dirt in there. Despite the issues though, awesome ride!

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by IJBCape
    lol that is pretty amazing. Hi fives to a good community in an internet world of jerky ones.
    Hey even though I returned the tights I could be a jerk. You never know! I could have pee on my hand while you e-hi-five me...

I am local to Otis and ride Tuesday and/or Fridays during the day. Weather/work permitting. PM me if you want to join. I usually ride solo because of the daytime rides when most are working. I have a flexible schedule.

It's raining now.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Hey even though I returned the tights I could be a jerk. You never know! I could have pee on my hand while you e-hi-five me...
    Haha I hear you man, I will absolutely have a glove on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be out at the ToT shortly...I'll be on my Epic, my buddy with a Seven Ti hardtail..Hoping it's nice like earlier in the week.

-Gabe

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J
    I'll be out at the ToT shortly...I'll be on my Epic, my buddy with a Seven Ti hardtail..Hoping it's nice like earlier in the week.

-Gabe
    A little snow fell from the sky at ToT this afternoon, but it was still great conditions.Chillier than last weekend, but I'll take it. I may return tomorrow for more.

Members who have read this thread: 0