Otis/ToT- Mtbr.com

Thread: Otis/ToT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Otis/ToT

anybody riding these places lately. I'm down the cape every sat but i only ride MTB from Nov to Feb & i miss it. I'd like to get out there for a change of pace but i'm concerned about lime disease. a couple of people i know have experienced it & i've seen deer in Otis. Anybody got any knowledgwe whether it's be relatively safe at this time of year? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm no wildlife expert nor do I work for the CDC-but, I'm pretty sure the deer tick is so named because it afflicts the deer mouse-not Deer (just saying having seen a deer at Otis may not be the harbinger of Lyme's disease you worry about).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    there's always a chance that a tick with the bacteria could get on you while riding but one could also get on you while doing just about anything while living on the planet.

I ride both places and others here on the Cape 3-5 days a week and so far this year I've had 1 tick (not sure if a deer tick. it was small) on me. I always make several brief checks while riding and remove clothing immediately after riding and do a through check before showering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ok

guys thanks for the reply's. never been a worry-wart & i guess i shouldn't start now.

Just a flesh wound

Deer Ticks

If you find a deer tick on you (you know dug in) you have 24 hours of grace between the time it latches on to when you take it off. The chances of getting Lyme disease are virtually 0 if you find it in that time frame. Just wipe the area with alcohol.

NO FEAR!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I ride both places and others here on the Cape 3-5 days a week and so far this year I've had 1 tick (not sure if a deer tick. it was small) on me. I always make several brief checks while riding and remove clothing immediately after riding and do a through check before showering.
    It seems to me that there have been a lot less ticks on the Cape this year. Maybe the cicadas ate them all.

Terry - as suggested, a shower after riding and a thorough tick check afterwards should do the trick.

Brackish
    That's good to hear, I spent a few months on the Cape over the summer of '02 and the ticks were like a plague that year! I got a few on myself, but I lost count of how many I pulled off my poor dog.

Lets RIDE!
    Just got back from the cape. Rode ToT once and Nickerson a lot. One tick dug in and several brushed off. All big ones, so probably not the dreaded deer ticks. If you spray on some DEET before riding, you'll be fine. I forgot....on every ride, 10 days straight. DOH!

I've been treated for Lyme twice....both times from ticks I got here in VT. When I'm on the cape I think about it all the time, so I'm always checking. But up here I just don't think about it. I guess I should.

I did see 3 deer on last night's ride, but none of them bit me.

Jim
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    ToT is on my list... How did you like it? Compare the trails to something in VT??? Waterbury meets Kingdom Trails? Or somewhere more "polished" like the trails around Stowe Village?

Anyhow, can't wait to ride ToT,i've heard so much good things!

Leaving tomorrow!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

Lets RIDE!
    BigJay....sorry to say I've never ridden Waterbury, KT, or Stowe! I know, hard to believe, but I'm in the Rutland/Killington area and it's 2 hours+ to those. I ride Pine Hill in Rutland all the time....ToT is smoother/faster, and the climbs are way shorter than in VT (of course). My ride there was very short, only covered 5 miles. We rode the trail that more or less parallels the powerlines on the south side, out to a big rock/wood ramp feature, then wiggled our way back on various trails that brought us back to the rt.149 trailhead. Sweet. Definitely going back to explore some more in the fall.

Jim

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    OK then...

What else did you ride?

Where were you based from? Boston? Cape Cod?

10 days of riding... pretty coool!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

Lets RIDE!
    I was in Brewster......rode Nickerson every AM before it got hot. Cool place once you find a continuous route. Then watersports all day...man does not live by bike alone! (not when you're with the family anyway!)

Members who have read this thread: 0