Otis AFB conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Otis AFB conditions?

Anyone have an update? I'm heading up from NC tomorrow and was wondering if there is a chance it will be rideable late next week.

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know But I hope so! I'd like to do an otisd Run on dec 26.

Jacob go here Nam from last night. no its not ridable and won't be for a while

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193818
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks John. think we're going to pass on bringing bikes up. even if it's rideable, i'm not real keen on lugging bikes up and getting them full of road salt and whatnot. kinda bummed. guess i'll have to wait till next summer........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we had rain all day ysrdy and last night so the trails will be open sooner than a while. I can't see anything now without the sun!

mtbr member
    I havn't been to Otis in about 9 days so I don't know for sure what the trails look like right now, but, they may be ok after this weekend.

Here's the weekend forecast:

I may go check out the trails tonight or tomorrow.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Guys, keep us posted what you find. It looks like the minimum amount of snow the cape has (I say this as there is 24" outside here) will be gone after tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well, I was a little disappointed what I found at Trail of Tears today. I initially was going to make the 20-30 minute drive to Otis today but I didn't want to gamble with my time so went to TOT (15 minutes) and wasn't really able to ride farther than 1/4 mile. the snow is very isluchy and not close to being light and fluffy. so went back to the house and changed clothes and bike and did 43mi on the road.

Falmouth is porbably the same but I wasn't there. I guess we got more snow than I realized and all the rain wasn't enough. urggghhhh

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    well, I was a little disappointed what I found at Trail of Tears today. I initially was going to make the 20-30 minute drive to Otis today but I didn't want to gamble with my time so went to TOT (15 minutes) and wasn't really able to ride farther than 1/4 mile. the snow is very isluchy and not close to being light and fluffy. so went back to the house and changed clothes and bike and did 43mi on the road.

Falmouth is porbably the same but I wasn't there. I guess we got more snow than I realized and all the rain wasn't enough. urggghhhh
    How deep was the slush?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here to hoiping that after today's warm tempsand rain tonight , we will have some ridining soon

Nostralpicas

rideable

I did 15 miles in nickerson state park on sat no snow the place drains well had a good ride

customized
    Sep 2003
    Can you describe the conditions in Nickerson a little more in depth?

Isn't Trail of Tears in Brewster as well? That would tell me that it is ridable as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Severum:
    For what it's worth: Nickerson is way down in Orleans (exit 12) where ToT is in Barnstable exit 5. About another half hour down rte 6.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Lol, I just noticed that. Makes sense how one is snow free and the other not.

Dec 2006
    do you guys think tot will be snow free by wednesday ?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Can only hope here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the slush was only a few inches but you just couldn't get through it and I'm a pretty strong rider.

rode the road today and was all around Falmouth area and the snow depth and quality was same as Barnstable so Otis is no go.

I'm trying TOT tmw again anyway bcz I can't ride the road again tmw after today. maybe I'll head to Nickerson. never ever travel down Cape but might be something new. you need to know how to get around Nickerson.

everything depends on how close you are to the ocean and what type of storms we get. if it's really cold and we get ocean effect snow then outer Cape (by the elbow and beyond, Chatham, Orleans etc,) can get much more snow. this wasn't the case so there's not as much snow near the ocean. it's 50deg F right now and rain tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    I did 15 miles in nickerson state park on sat no snow the place drains well had a good ride

you go with Jim Gloo?

bike dork
    Nickerson is a good time, nothing too crazy in there (the last time I rode there was Sept and I rode almost all the ST on my 'cross bike). I always manage to have fun there, usually ride a counter clockwise loop - use the handy trail map kiosks and you can't get lost. We're still uner too much wet snow here (RI), but hopefully things will be rideable by the end of the week..
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

Dec 2006
    after tonights rain and warmth do you think it will be good at trail of tears by wed the 26th?

Rocks Rock
    ToT wasn't that bad today. Had to push thru a few inches of slushy snow here and there but 90% was ridable. The only trace I left was tracks in the snow and moved a few fallen branches out of the trail.
    Am I being kind?

customized
    Sep 2003
    This is great news. Hopefully a few days of 40s will make things better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess TOT was better today. Great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's all but a memory. we're back in business. trails were great today. it's great that mud is nonexistent on Cape Cod. most places would be a muddy mess after so much rain but rarely here.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Where did you ride Dang?

Time to start preparing a late week ride!

mtbr member
    Itching to ride here as well, interested on the beta that Dang has. ToT? Otis? I've ridden ToT but never at Otis so I would like to check it out if ridable.

Took a pass through the Wompy parking lot this afternoon and doesn't look rideable yet, still that nasty slushy mess. I either need definite winter to snowshoe and XC ski locally or none so I can ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    it's all but a memory. we're back in business. trails were great today. it's great that mud is nonexistent on Cape Cod. most places would be a muddy mess after so much rain but rarely here.
    He said it all...riding is real good...period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Otis from RT151 area. everything is absolutely wonderful. great winter riding with all those slippery fall leaves deterioating.

you can also enter it from McArthur Bvld (rt28) Bourne. that trailhead is diagonally across the street from the bike shop, if it's still there. you can also continue on rt28 to the rotary and park there and all the trails are across from the parking area with the deer permit signs. this is where off-Cape riders should park.

having not ridden Otis in a while, even though it's close, I realize there are more technically challenging areas than TOT but not like Foxboro or Nam (never been). but I can get much harder climbs at TOT Sandwich.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I wonder how Freetown is. Any one have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    GOing to give Otis a try! Starting from 151 ( parking across from animal hospital ) about 10:30 AM tommorow !! ( dec 26 )

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

parking @ otis

Otis: a little word to the wise about parking. Couple of years ago, got a lot of crap about parking in that little lot off the rt28 rotary (entrance to OAFB), do everyone a favor & park off of 151...the archery club has a real hard-on about that area. I was told a while back (by one of them), they paint ball motto-crossers for identification.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just to let everyone know they started clearing land today on the new development that abuts trail of tears. It will be south and west of the green loop.

Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Otis is in awesome shape!!

Dec 2006
    rode tot today perfect conditions no snow or ice at all .

mtbr member
    Where abouts is it - near the service road? Race Lane?
    Rode ToT Thursday after the light rain and it was still not too slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by jab1362
    Just to let everyone know they started clearing land today on the new development that abuts trail of tears. It will be south and west of the green loop.

Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    from great hill road to popple bottom road. near the power lines

customized
    Sep 2003
    Hit Otis today with VinnyC, two locals (thanks Finn for the guidework) and a couple friends from NH. OMG, that place is pretty cool.

Any other updates from southern Mass?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Hit Otis today with VinnyC, two locals (thanks Finn for the guidework) and a couple friends from NH. OMG, that place is pretty cool.

Any other updates from southern Mass?
    even with me riding a borrowed bike (giant pistol which i tore the der hanger off), wearing a borrowed helmet/pack/gloves, $20 skate shoes purchased the night before from walmart(yes, i did return them), and riding in jeans with no shammy and cotton long sleave t, it was a great time.

good meeting you guys out there

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnycactus
    even with me riding a borrowed bike (giant pistol which i tore the der hanger off), wearing a borrowed helmet/pack/gloves, $20 skate shoes purchased the night before from walmart(yes, i did return them), and riding in jeans with no shammy and cotton long sleave t, it was a great time.

Can't believe you returned the shoes. Those were classic.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnycactus

Jacob , glad to see you got out .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey, Otis was a blast and it was good to meet you guys out there.

Vinnycactus on 'The Pistol'. I don't know WHY that hanger broke!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Can't believe you returned the shoes. Those were classic.
    they truly were. even the soles were camo.........

mtbr member
    I thought this was going to be the pic of you mooning.

You whipped that pistol. Hope your breakdown lane ss ride wasn't too harrowing.

Members who have read this thread: 0