Ode to the Pinehills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ode to the Pinehills

I've ridden the north side twice with a guide but decided to take the long (30 minute) drive up this weekend and finally explore on my own. My firm does a fair amount of groundwater sampling for The Pinehills so I've always eyed up the singletrack I've seen. The goal was gain as much elevation as I could in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

The ride started out bitter cold with a long paved downhill, it left me with hands in my crotch and doing jumping jacks because I had 3/4 finger gloves on. I decided the best way to warm up is to climb, and climbing is where the pinehills excel.

I was able to negotiate my way to a continuous piece of singletrack 2.5 miles long. Probably one of the best (and only) "out there" feelings I've had in this area. No to mention amazing to have singletrack that long. It rode so well. And needless to say I was warm (and dry heaving) at the top (the night prior consisted of a blues and beer infused bar session).

From there I ripped down, got lost on the north side's fun/techy/switchbacky stuff. The leaves were down and it felt like fall, cool, crisp, using your own sense of direction to negotiate trail. None of that leaf-blowing stuff.

Ode to the Pinehills-img_5402-copy.jpg

After a bit I headed back to the hills, some climbing, a side bushwhack to honestly the best view I've had in the area (full on view of Manomet, the whole Cape, and the Ptown tower), and fast descents back home for the last paved climb/cooldown.

Ode to the Pinehills-img_5404-copy.jpg

These trails are MX territory, so it can get soft, and some people may be too elitist for that. I loved every bit of it. Ending the 3 plus hour time in the saddle with 24 miles and over 2100 feet of gain. Goal accomplished. Stoked to see some new stuff, especially with big climbs and backcountry feel, hopefully will be back to explore more soon.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    cool write up. if you ever want another guided tour let me know I live ten minutes away from there and ride both sides fairly often. the side that is on the same side as serious cycles can be pretty daunting if you go the wrong way or try to climb up the wrong hill. wrong probably isn't the right word but some hills are just more fun to ride down than up.

on the opposite side of the shop there is a solid 9-10 miles of pretty tight singletrack. with all of the places around here becoming so over ridden and blown out it is nice to ride some singletrack that is literally "single".

do you have a gps route of the ride you did? kind of curious what route you took. send it to my inbox or post it up.

mtbr member
    I rode there the other morning in the mist before work. 'Twas not nearly as much fun. Kind of bums me out that the ewok village is totally dilapidated and will likely never see a resurrection.
    Massy was real good today. All the blow downs have been chainsawed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I rode there the other morning in the mist before work. 'Twas not nearly as much fun. Kind of bums me out that the ewok village is totally dilapidated and will likely never see a resurrection.
    Massy was real good today. All the blow downs have been chainsawed.
    I don't really know all the names of the places but I am guessing you are talking about all of the wooden stunt stuff they had out there. I have only been riding there for 4 or 5 years so I don't remember it ever being good. from the first time I was out there it has all been pretty rotted and sketchy, most of it fell down on its own, and people just pushed it over to the side. it had to of been a ton of work back in the day to build all that stuff. in its hay day I can imagine it was probably pretty awesome. I don't think I know any other place that has that much wooden stunts even Vietnam doesn't have as much.

trails in general are pretty sketchy now because of all the leafs. plus some of the trails need to be trimmed back. I try to go out and pick up all of the deadfalls and stuff but it just seems never ending.

I actually rode massy for the first time two weekends ago during that storm. place is always pretty cool. I am glad the blow downs got cleared because there was a ton of them. I am noticing a lot of little cheater lines forming in the single track which is a bummer. people don't seem to understand that if the trail goes around a tree then you need to do the same or all the trails will eventually be straight.

mtbr member
    Truth.

There was one line of bridges, planks and rockys that went on forever, and the end was a gap/drop into a landing across the trail, so you could jump over somebody on a bike if your buddy would wait.
    Even some of the newer stuff has rotted/fallen down.

Weetamoo is on the agenda tomorrow. Hopefully more of that joint has been cleared.

mtbr member

Ode to the Pinehills

I haven't ridden there in years, but I have fond memories of pine hills. Ewok village was always a bit sketchy, and although it was fun, it just reinforces the fact that trail features shouldn't be made out of wood around here. Or more specifically, don't bother building them out of junk wood. Unless you can afford PT or get lucky and find some cedar just forget it. Spend the extra time to build with rock and dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    By north side I meant the one opposite Serious, where "ewok village" was (is?). I've ridden there with guide twice. Fun stuff. I was excited to try out the south side (between 3a and old sandwich), super awesome. Probably not everybody's cup of tea.

And yeah, I've eyed up that big wooden berm the last two times, when I dropped in this go it was all rotten and had fallen over. Glad I didn't hit it two months ago.

mtbr member
    It's east/west side, if we wanna split hairs. I haven't done much cycling on the west side, but there's lots of good dirty bike trails there. Some (a lot) of them are getting whooped out, but there's some that are still in good enough shape that pedalling on them would still be fun.
    Once my side work slows down I plan on shooting over to old sandwich rd and riding up the water/fire tower rd and descending some of the better trails headed back down, when I get out of work in the mornings. Rinse/repeat.

mtbr member
    Our crew rides there once in a while.

Here's a link to some tracks from one of our rides on the Serious side. Indeed, some of it is very sandy and eroded, especially the straight up the fall line stuff. Riding it when the ground is frozen is much more fun.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

rack admirer
    No one has mentioned getting chased out by the local constabulary. It happened to me several times many years ago. Once with my 12 yo son. OK now?
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    I hate splitting hairs as well, but according to this map it is north and south. A funky coastline we have.
    Ode to the Pinehills-pinehills.jpg

Here is a clip of the ride I did. Dirtyjack, it appears you guys hit the singletrack I mentioned out of "hub" where most hill climbs lead. I loved the "backcountry" feel and the fact that it was so long. MX make nice flowy trails but tend to tear them up a bit.
    Ode to the Pinehills-pinehills2.jpg

My absolute favorite part of riding in the pinehills is this.
    Ode to the Pinehills-pinehills3.jpg

Also, I was unsure if there are issues there, I tried to stay a bit vague in the original post, but it seems its pretty open? I know people ride there, whether is kosher to talk bout I'm unsure. Its obvious MX guys get back there a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    No one has mentioned getting chased out by the local constabulary. It happened to me several times many years ago. Once with my 12 yo son. OK now?
    Since 9/11 the national guard was all over the area on the ocean side, hummer parked at cleft rock, the whole 9. That has pretty much been relaxed. But you gotta stay on the trail. Don't go pedalling down to the plant

Steve, I see your mapping now. I always think of it as 3a goes north/south there, so either side must be east west, even though it's obvious now it's curved there.
    I'll henceforth refer to it as the shop side, and across the street.

I'm actually headed to plymouth now, I'll have my bike with me. So if anyone is around the area, or pedalling somewhere on the south shore, ping me.

mtbr member
    I can see that with the plant. I ride Otis on the regular (live in town) so I know what thats like.

And hah I wasn't trying to be a d-ck, but it is odd how at that point 3a wraps around and it goes E-W there. I like shop side and across the street, no confusion.

Wish I wasn't at my desk right now.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Pinehills are killer. In the mid-late 90' early 2000's we used to do training rides on our singlespeeds to get ready for races like the vt50. Crushing rides where we'd loop up the trails on the plant side as a warmup, then cross over 3a on the north side of the hill, do 6-8 hill climbs hitting all of the good nasty ones off of and beyond the hub (32-16 baby!) then continue out to sandwich road, then head south on trail from the ridge, cross long pond road and hit up another 2-3 hours of KILLER stuff that looped all around and down to ship pond road and back. 5-6+ hour rides. You can connect stuff right down towards the canal, cross bridge and hit up otis via the bourne town forest or go south along the canal and connect old ways, powerlines, bogs, and dirt bike track into wareham.

Cannot wait to get my fatbike out to all the old haunts. Wifes parents live in plymouth, so.....

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    riding there probably isn't on the up and up but I have talked to police in the parking lot before in the middle of a ride and they didn't say anything and this happened on more than one occasion. dirtbikes definatly cut in some trails on the shop side but you will likely never see a dirtbike on the side opposite the shop, that would probably red flag the security guys and they would put a stop to it quickly.

it is weird that they ever cared that people ride there when there is a whole street closer on the backside that has houses on it.

iceboxteve it looks like you pretty much covered it all including some of those hills that take a certain amount of motivation to get up the whole way. some of those hills don't have a ton of elevation maybe 300ft over less than a mile but with the added softer soil it can really hurt the legs.

maybe we can meet up for an Otis or tot ride sometime, I have ridden Otis a fair amount but I always seem to do the same 9 mile loop over and over and over. I am sure there are more trails out there that i don't know about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    it is weird that they ever cared that people ride there when there is a whole street closer on the backside that has houses on it.
    Agreed.

iceboxteve it looks like you pretty much covered it all including some of those hills that take a certain amount of motivation to get up the whole way. some of those hills don't have a ton of elevation maybe 300ft over less than a mile but with the added softer soil it can really hurt the legs.
    Certainly, nothing huge, 300' is probably the tallest, and I think the steepest two-track is close to a half mile long for that. The sand adds some fun. Just love to be able to climb down this way.

I always seem to do the same 9 mile loop over and over and over. I am sure there are more trails out there that i don't know about.
    The classic. I've noticed most everyone I see out there does the same sort of outside loop thats roughly 9-10 miles. Some folks know and venture onto a few of the inner trails. But in my two years here I've explored a great deal and estimate close to 30 miles in Otis proper. I regularly put different rides together based on how I feel and if I'm leading folks. There are fast flowy trails, hill climbs (~800' in ~15 miles is my best short hill workout, and it'll put the hurt on), the most technical you can find on cape, etc. I find most of them are overgrown but thats about it. Some people I show around whine about their legs getting scratched, those are folks I make sure to take on the technical uphills so I can make them whine more.

banned
    Sep 2008
    You don't need longer climbs, steve. You have sandwich. Going hard in the sandwich stuff is harder than going hard in the pinehills, or most anywhere else. Myself and the old enduro guys cut the stuff in sandwich to be challenging, relentless, and spirit breaking if yer not having a good day, and even if you are.........

rog

mtbr member
    I haven't been to Otis in a dog's age. And never trail of tears...
    Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    You don't need longer climbs, steve. You have sandwich. Going hard in the sandwich stuff is harder than going hard in the pinehills, or most anywhere else. Myself and the old enduro guys cut the stuff in sandwich to be challenging, relentless, and spirit breaking if yer not having a good day, and even if you are.........

rog
    Roger nailed it.

When I got back into riding, I would head out from my backyard and hit the Sandwich trails, assuming it was the Trail of Tears. Eventually I learned that was not the case, so I began to refer to it as the "REAL" Trail of Tears. Many a spirit and derailleur has been broken out there.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    This:

Roger nailed it.

When I got back into riding, I would head out from my backyard and hit the Sandwich trails, assuming it was the Trail of Tears. Eventually I learned that was not the case, so I began to refer to it as the "REAL" Trail of Tears. Many a spirit and derailleur has been broken out there.
    so good over there. i have such fond memories of driving my old jeep cherokee out the fire roads and powerlines with a mower, extra gas, a rake, loppers, and a 6 pack of cheap beer. so many days putting in trail. all of those switchback climbs and that nice benchcut trail above the hole with the abandoned vehicle. that bench cut took a lot of shovel work. kept it all on the DL and never got hassled.

rog

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Pine Hill trails on both sides of Route 3A. Never realized there were that many though. :-)

Those REALLY hilly trails in Sandwich can be seen here. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_98...SkU/edit?pli=1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    I've ridden the Pine Hill trails on both sides of Route 3A. Never realized there were that many though. :-)

Those REALLY hilly trails in Sandwich can be seen here. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_98...SkU/edit?pli=1
    That is trail of tears right? Might not be exact location but I remember riding at tot and you cross either a road or some power lines and I got over to those trails before. Hilly is defiantly an understatement. Nothing long but tons of steep ups and down that just burn up the legs.

banned
    Sep 2008
    That is trail of tears right? Might not be exact location but I remember riding at tot and you cross either a road or some power lines and I got over to those trails before. Hilly is defiantly an understatement. Nothing long but tons of steep ups and down that just burn up the legs.
    You're welcome

Not tot.

rog

mtbr member
    I'm probably gonna hit massy tonight, round 730-8ish.

mtbr member
    This is trail of Tears. ToT is in Barnstable. ToT is in Barnstable. It abuts Maple Swamp in Sandwich.
    http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/Con...ides/WBARN.pdf

mtbr member

Ode to the Pinehills

Ride the north/east/nonshop side today. Good stuff, all the wood is rotted out, but I like the new berms and the rocks are always fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Bringing an old post back from the dead. I had ridden the side of Pine Hills opposite Serious Cycles a number of times but had my first taste of the Serious side and it was as described by iceboxsteve. A lot of grinding fire road climbs to get the legs and lungs burning combined with the rough dirtbike singletrack. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but the backcountry "out there" feel combined with some great climbs and descents left our group smiling the whole time. With the plant closing soon this network could get developed into housing in the coming years so I would recommend giving it a try while you still can.

mtbr member
    The plant extended their operation till 18 or 19 I think.
    The sand will swallow you whole over that side of you let it. Fattys don't care. I have yet to see if the b+ wheels care at all, though.

mtbr member
    We all rode on our regular bikes and had no problems with the deep sand. There were some occasional hike a bike spots but not enough to discourage us. I've heard it can get more torn up after a lot of dirtbike activity but it was fine for us. I would take my tallboy over the fat bike if I went back.

mtbr member
    NEMBA should buy it...

Members who have read this thread: 0