Oct. 13 Batch St. int. pace tech. ride- Mtbr.com
    achiever

Oct. 13 Batch St. int. pace tech. ride

If anyone is interested, I'd like to do a 12 - 14 mile ride at Batchelor St. on October 13 at 9:00am. The ride will be on some of the more technical trails but at a relaxed pace. Plan on 3.5+ hours on lots of rocks with close to 2000ft of climbing.

Route will most likely be: IA, PT, JL, RP, LZ, PW, FO, FS, MP, TW, TE, SG, SP, PT, RC.
    As usual, map here: http://www.hampshire.edu/cms_html/Holyoke_Range.htm

Bring your strong set of legs, a snack (we'll take at least 1 break) and your sense of humor as you watch the ride leader try to granny it over everything. The fall colors should be in full effect so a camera might be a good idea if you're so inclined.

Any questions, contact me at [email protected] , PM me or post to this thread. I hope to get a decent sized group together for this one.

Red

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds like a Blast!

never ender
    Cool, I think I'm in this time.

achiever
    This ride is definitely a bit more challenging than the other I planned. Not because of terrain but due to distance on that terrain.

I did a shorter 9 mile loop on most of the trails Saturday and I was pretty sore, especially my upper body, for the rest of the day.

Hopefully, we'll get a good sized group, take our time and figure out some good lines through the tougher stuff.

achiever
    bump in the night

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Boy if this weather holds your ride ought to be great (dusty-but great!). I rode there two days ago and have never seen it this dry at this time of year!

never ender
    Yeah, I've been out there at least two or three times a week since I got here. Conditions are primo. I was even running California tires for the first couple of weeks. I think it's actually a little tackier after it rains, though...but I haven't seen the full-scale slop yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I finally got to ride there last saturday and its definately the best place to ride that I have ever been to! I'm definatly going to try to join this ride.

never ender
    We got a departure time yet?

achiever
    9:00 am unless that's no good...

never ender
    9??? Some of us have drinking to do on Friday night, buddy!

Just kidding. See ya there.

achiever
    Sorry man, daughter's 12th birthday festivities in mid afternoon. Besides, no better way to work off that hangover!

achiever
    Weather looks good and cool, recent rains and wind should make for some fun on the fallen leaves lining the rocks... can't wait

Anyone else other that fat_weasel, JGlaze and myself in?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are any of you guys gonna have a pedal wrench on you tomorow? My LBS didn't have any when I went and I still have my clip only pedals on and want to swap them with my clip/flat on the other side ones from my old bike. If not I'll just deal with clip only.

-See you guys in the morning

achiever
    I'll bring one for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It was nice riding with you guys, legs are dead but it was worth it. See you next time.

achiever
    Yes, I had a blast. Good to ride with someone for a change.

Here's a link to what we rode on Motionbased: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4214156

I forgot to press the start button (as usual) at the beginning, that's why there's a gap on the map.

Maybe next Sunday we can hook up and ride Earl's? We'll have to see if we can get JGlaze's brother to go...

Red
    Last edited by redwarrior; 10-14-2007 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Earl's sounds like fun. I clicked on that link to see our ride but it didn't work, could you post it again? That GPS is an awsome idea.
    I talked to my brother yesterday on my way back from the ride and he just has to put some parts onto his bike. I'll see if he wants to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    how many folks showed up for the ride??

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    how many folks showed up for the ride??
    There were four of us. Good sized group, most at same ability level. Rob is a super strong rider and skilled on the tech parts. Had a good time and I'm loving downhill SG!

JGlaze,

Try it now, I changed the link...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That gps track is helpful. My son and I tried to follow the route you posted Monday a week ago and had some real problems. One kind fellow took us under his wing for awhile and got us straightened out. I'd love to go back with this track in the gps so I'm not going around in circles. It would be great if someone took over the map, updated it, put the intersection numbers on it, maybe focused in the Batch area, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

DS

achiever
    The map online is actually really good. I saved it and cropped it so I could print it out and carry it with me. The key is to really pay attention to it and check it every time you come to a trail junction. There are so many trails in such a small area it can be very confusing. The first few times I rode there I was beyond lost. I've ridden there quite a bit since mid July and it took me until early September to know my way around. It's tough with the twisty trails and hills to keep any sense of direction.

Maybe in the future I'll make individual tracks on the GPS for the different trails I'm riding. The thing is, I can gather the data but don't really know how to put it together too well...

Red

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cool map. If you're going out saturday, i'd love to join you again. Can't make it on Sunday though. Good times

achiever
    I'm going to be riding in VT Thurs, Fri and part of Sat. so Sunday is out for me.

I'm starting a new thread with a map for Sunday if you want to check it out. I started at the Notch Visitors Center. If you hit the playback feature, you'll be able to see the route I took. I think you'll really like the trails on that side.

Red

Members who have read this thread: 0