Night riding allowed at Wompatuck?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Night riding allowed at Wompatuck?

Is night riding allowed at Wompatuck or more importantly, do they close the gates at a certain time, thus locking your car in for the night? Just wondering. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't know if it's specifically allowed or prohibited, but people certainly night ride in Wompy.

To the best of my knowledge, the gates aren't locked, or at least the exit gate never is even in the off season. A year or two back they placed a gate just past the visitors center on the main access road to limit vehicles into the park at night, since it's easier to sweep the rest of the park for cars before the rangers go home.

The sure fire option for times past was to park outside of the main gate house and ride into the park from there, so you could always do that to play it safe. I'm on a group ride in there tonight, so I'll ask around if I remember to try and get a 100% answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Were you part of the NEMBA ride that started at 5:30pm? I was there. I arrived early for my 6:00pm ride and saw a group ride getting ready to go. Anyways, I brought my light just in case. Finished my ride at 8:05 pm. It was dark by the time we came out of the woods and my groups cars were the only ones left in the parking lot. Is the parking lot safe there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    Were you part of the NEMBA ride that started at 5:30pm? I was there. I arrived early for my 6:00pm ride and saw a group ride getting ready to go. Anyways, I brought my light just in case. Finished my ride at 8:05 pm. It was dark by the time we came out of the woods and my groups cars were the only ones left in the parking lot. Is the parking lot safe there?
    I was part of the NEMBA ride; the ride leader for Tues. does very mellow, beginner friendly rides. You end up with a mix of people from those who started riding this spring for the first time and some intermediate riders up for the social aspect and/or a slower ride.

I think that's a safe lot for your vehicle and you even at night. Granted I am a larger male, and while IMO that shouldn't matter, if a shady situation were to occur I'm probably less likely to be approached by unsavory characters. While they aren't there all the time, you will see the Environmental Police drive through the park periodically and since it's still camping season the rangers stay in the park later at night. While it's not the same at night and I wouldn't recommend it, I have left my car with windows down accidentally for 3+ hours on a weekend with no negative repercussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    i've been cought in the park after 10pm a few times, other than two park rangers asking if i was lost i didn't get kicked out, remember wampatuck is also a campsite during the season, as for the parking lot being safe i've never had any problems there but i'm still paranoid about leaving my car unlocked,

Members who have read this thread: 0