Newbie at Lynn Woods tomorrow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Newbie at Lynn Woods tomorrow

I'm headed up to the Lynn Woods tomorrow. I've got a single speed hardtail 29er, and I'll be riding with someone who's got a geared hardtail 26er. My first time there; he's been a half dozen times or so over the years but doesn't know his way around very well. We're much more toward the XC side of the spectrum than the big hit free-ride side.

Suggestions on where to ride? I have the map from Dieselbikes so if you know your way around give me routes using trail names on the map (http://dieselbikes.com/images/Lynn_W...l_City_Map.pdf)

I also checked out the DB suggested rides page (Lynn Woods Trail Routes). Will probably try routes 2 and 3 from there if I don't hear anything otherwise.

I've also read pretty much every thread on this board about the Lynn Woods. It seems like south of Walden Pond is more XC and north is more free-ride, but the idea of just riding fire roads south of the pond doesn't appeal to me. What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can link some fun rides on the north side that isnt all drops and such.
    Where are you starting your ride from? That will let us know what way to steer you route wise.
    If you park at the Ballfield lot, ride overlook to swamp trail, but take a right at where 8 is marked on the DB map. From there ride up to Acapulco to balanced boulder to deep woods trail to possibly beaver trail, Beaver will give you some more rock options. To return you can take the ox pasture road to lot or link what you rode in on backwards. Other trails are doable too, but there is more rock and drop.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The DieselBikes map shows two parking areas... we're planning on the one off of Rte 129 just northeast of the Gannon Golf Course (which is near the "ballfield trails", so I'd assume that's the ballfield parking lot). Looking at the map it's no problems seeing what you're talking about, so thanks for the info!

We'll be up there Saturday starting around noon. Look for the guy on the shiny new motobecane outcast single speed if you're around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Let us know how your ride was!
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The ride was great at Lynn Woods. Kicked my tail! Pretty hill up there for a single speed. Banged up my bash guard pretty good, broke a spoke and flatted my rear tire. Barely had a chance to make a dent in the trails in 4 hours of riding. Lots of rocky trails but tons of fun.

I road Cutler Park today. What a difference between rock-strewn Lynn and smooth-with-a-few-roots Nedham!