New Trails (CST) - Grand Opening!!! Saturday (10/16) at 11:00am - Camp Shepard Trails- Mtbr.com
    Steam Donkey

New Trails (CST) - Grand Opening!!! Saturday (10/16) at 11:00am - Camp Shepard Trails

Westfield MA

Please join us! We will be having a Grand Opening and ribbon cutting ceremony this Saturday (10/16) at 11:00 am, at the ALL NEW Camp Shepard Trails (CST).

The Camp Shepard property is owned by the Westfield YMCA. NEMBA was given permission to build MTB trails on the property for all to enjoy, including Y members and to be used in their programs. NEMBA volunteers worked approximately 200 combined hours to complete Phase1.

"Phase1" is complete and there are 2.5 miles of new trail up and ready to be ridden, hiked, skied, snowshoed, or... and enjoyed. The trails are moderately technical. Some small and large rock features, and a log ride have been incorporated, all with bypass lines. There is one beginner short cut, to eliminate the most difficult section of trail. And the area has many jeep roads, so easy loop options abound. Approximately one third of the parcel has been utilized with phase one. Phase two and three will encompass the remainder of the property available.

We will have a short ceremony and cut the ribbon to open the new trails at 11:00. Following the ribbon cutting, we will ride the trails for a loop in each direction (roughly an hour total). Please bring your bike and join in the inaugural ride.

Following the ride, we will have cake to bring the festivities to a close.

~395 Northwest Rd, Westfield, MA, 01085

Hope to see you on Saturday!
    Steve
    Last edited by TheHare; 10-14-2010 at 05:56 AM.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it out on Saturday. Can you give a description of the trails? I got excited when I heard about some freeride lines coming to Westfield. I want to check them out and would also be willing to put some volunteer time in also.

Kevin
    Internal War Designs
    IWAR

Steam Donkey
    Quote Originally Posted by xpipx
    Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it out on Saturday. Can you give a description of the trails? I got excited when I heard about some freeride lines coming to Westfield. I want to check them out and would also be willing to put some volunteer time in also. Kevin
    From above: The trails are moderately technical. Some small and large rock features, and a log ride have been incorporated, all with bypass lines. There is one beginner short cut, to eliminate the most difficult section of trail. And the area has many jeep roads, so easy loop options abound.

The freeride jumping stuff will likely be in phase2. The terrain we are headed for is more conducive.

Drop me your email and I can put you on the list for trail days. I usually go once a week and most always with short notice...life with kids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sounds really cool, I need to start doing more trips off Cape. Hope you guys had some sick first rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    where do we park to ride this place??? btw im in the area if you guys want any help building phase 2 message me, im new at trail building and would like to learn a little about it

Steam Donkey
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013
    where do we park to ride this place??? btw im in the area if you guys want any help building phase 2 message me, im new at trail building and would like to learn a little about it
    Park by the gate to the Chalet (do not block the gate). Room for about four cars. Or across the street at the main entrance to the camp. Address above.
    Work is off for a little while. Will likely PM you in two or three weeks.
    Thanks, Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    cool, thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Members who have read this thread: 0