New sign at B street?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New sign at B street?

Was riding yesterday afternoon and came across this sign on Missing Persons. Had to be hung this week. Any info or details?\

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd like more info on this too. My uncle rode the other day and sent me a picture of the same sign somewhere on one of the Fars. He was apparently approached and shouted at by someone as well. He has been in touch via email with someone with NEMBA who mentioned some kind of "handshake agreement." Pardon the vague details, I'll chat with him for more info when I can. Also, I came across this earlier: Cynthia and Gary Phelps of Granby preserve 186 acres of Holyoke Range woodland from development | GazetteNet.com The east side of Batch is beautifully sadistic, classic singletrack and I can't bear the thought of losing access to any of it.

mtbr member
    Not a helluva lot NEMBA can do. Private land is a challenge, and Kestrel is working with a pile of private and public funds, much($ 350,000) anonymous and 1.5 mil from the state. Any of those donors could have requested a boots only restriction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    There is only 2 trails out that way and I have never seen anyone except bikers with me...no walkers, no nothing. Really disappointing if true that they want restrictions on the old school stuff.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Disappointing ?
    you mean someone owns land, and bans bikes, you complain ?

it is a very small patch where bikes not allowed

http://kestreltrust.org/PDF/350/Gran...and_1_9_15.pdf

186 acres
    out of 6000 available acres
    within 16,000 acres.

I see no reason to worry, or what the issue is here

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We're going to try to contact Kestrel and see who requested the 'foot only', if it was them or the owner (I suspect it was Kestrel). I'd like to meet with Kestrel as they have also bought up use rights to all of Cowl's land as well and are similarly hostile to riders on that land.

Access to that area was always a handshake and a wink arrangement between the primary B-Street architect and the land owner.

I have not seen this in person yet, but my understanding is that it is on one section of Way far Out (and not Missing Persons as originally reported).

As to 'old school' stuff, a good 90% of the trails were built BEFORE this trail. Just saying.

IF any of the local B-street trail crew wants to get a hold of me and discuss an action plan, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

Liam O'Brien

mtbr member
    Just ignore it and ride your bike. Putting up a stink will just bring attention to the situation. (BTW- there are 2 signs one is on MP)
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 11-19-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Kind of curious , since Missing Persons, as well as Far East, Far Out, Far Side, Lizard King, Pete's Wicked, etc. etc. , were built by mountain bikers !!!. At B Street, Virtually every trail there since 1999, was built by / for mountain bikers for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Always a risk with trails on private land. Change of control can lead to change of rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedocdan View Post
    Kind of curious , since Missing Persons, as well as Far East, Far Out, Far Side, Lizard King, Pete's Wicked, etc. etc. , were built by mountain bikers !!!. At B Street, Virtually every trail there since 1999, was built by / for mountain bikers for mountain biking.
    I think you're missing the point - some of the MTB trails were built on private property with very informal permission. Some of the access parameters have clearly changed! Be happy we had access for as long as we did.