New member - LBS and buying questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

New member - LBS and buying questions

Hey All -

Planning to get back to mtn. biking and looking forward to all the new technology since my last mtn bike, which was about 15 years ago. I'm looking for a full suspension bike and have been starting my research here and starting to visit some local shops. Looking for an all around bike but will be mostly on trails. Budgeting $2,000 - $4,000 for a new or used bike if I can find one. Looking for some recommendations on:

- Local bike shops. I'm live in the metro west area and am looking for recommendations on some good local shops (MA, RI) where I can demo some rides.
    - What's the general consensus on used bikes? I tend to prefer that direction, but do the technology improvements out-date used bikes quickly?

After some searching, I'd like to look at:
    Ibis Ripley LS (special blend)
    Trek Fuel EX 9 29
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

It's early and I'm in no hurry. So, feel free to share your insights.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    JRA cycles in Medford is a great shop that stocks demos. You're not likely to find a GG Trail Pistol either as a demo or a used bike for sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Canyon bikes will be available to order in the U.S. in the spring, you buy direct, if you are comfortable doing some assembly that's the way to go, you get way more bang for your buck and from what I've read they are pretty amazing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Demo Plus bikes or bikes capable of Plus width tires and wider 40-50mm inner rim width wheels with Boost 148/110 hubs. Canyon currently has zero in those areas. Keep an eye out for an opportunity to demo a Tantrum fs now in Kickstarter at a discount.

mdc
    mtbr member
    If your riding more XC-ish stuff get the Ibis- DW link bikes pedal awesome, and Ibis is super awesome to deal with. I loved my Ripley, but found it fussy to maintain ( I am a "set it" and forget it kind of guy.)
    If your riding is more aggressive get the Fuel EX. I have (currently selling) a 2015 Remedy 9.8 29er and it was awesome. I think the new Fuel is a bit slacker and stiffer- but has less rear travel. The Remedy is a great all arounder. I've done a ton of XC riding on it, and also a bunch of days riding park- the Remedy has always been solid.
    If your aiming to do more park type riding, fast downhill stuff etc- definitely look into the TP. I got mine a few weeks back and it is by far the stiffest bike i've ever ridden. Slacker than the Remedy, and MUCH burlier than the Ibis. Guerrilla Gravity was awesome to deal with and I would not hesitate to buy from them again....

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    thanks mdc. I'm interested in Guerrilla Gravity. Made in the USA. Buy direct. It feels like you get a lot for your money. I'd love to hear more about the process and delivery. My budget has me in between their build ride 2 and build ride 1. What build did you end up doing?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I did the Build 1 option, but did a Rock Shox Super deluxe 130mm rear, carbon bars, and an MRP fork. One of the big reasons I went with GG is price AND that its build in the US. I was looking at alot of bike (Pivot, Evil, etc. etc) but building a similarly spec'd bike would have cost at least $2k more, and is built overseas. I basically called GG, spoke with Thomas, told him what I wanted and placed my order. It took about 4-5 weeks for delivery, and the bike is shipped in 2 seperate boxes. 1 box contains the wheels, the other box is the frame, bars etc. It probably took me about 30 minutes to put everything together. The bike is MUCH burlier that I expected and has little to no flex. I was planning on getting a dedicated park bike for next year, but honestly feel that the TP will be perfect for the bulk of the riding that i do...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I looked hard at the fuel bikes, but I thought that the BB height was too low for NE trails. However, I was looking at the plus model and it had a 12.75" BB in the "high" setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    @ local shops comment
    Fritz's bike shop in Worcester, Aaron the owner is a great guy.
    Tomten biketown in Leominster has treated me well too.
    There's a Landry's in Worcester and in Westboro - don't have any experience with either of these shops.
    Pedal

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I highly recommend Spark BRS in E. Taunton www.sparkbrs.com
    I have bought 3 bikes from them in the past year and they are great to deal with. They also stock a lot of models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pinkbike.com for classifieds. You could likely get a great used bike with that budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MA29er View Post
    @ local shops comment
    Fritz's bike shop in Worcester, Aaron the owner is a great guy.
    Tomten biketown in Leominster has treated me well too.
    There's a Landry's in Worcester and in Westboro - don't have any experience with either of these shops.
    Agreed on Fritz's, good people and fair prices. Wheelworks in Belmont and Somerville also knowledgeable, good in stock inventory and not crazy prices.

bike dork
    If you want to demo a few bikes in the spring, or this winter assuming no snow, give the shop a ring. I have a few demos, more will be built over the early season. Right now the list is as follows:

Salsa Redpoint Carbon, large.
    Transition Patrol 3 large.
    Devinci Marshall NX large.
    Transition Smuggler 2 large.

I'll most likely add a medium Transition Scout and maybe a KHS 650 6500+ to the list.

The shop is Blackstone Bicycles, in Cumberland RI. 401 335 3163.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Metrowest Boaston area? Do yourself a favor and drive to JRA in Medford. Its worth the trip. Coolest, most relaxed staff around that knows their stuff. I found them about three years ago and am very, very happy I did. Hands down the best shop inside 495.

If you're interested in the Trek/Specialized mega marts Wheelworks in Belmont is huge and has a lot of inventory. One thing that Wheelworks has going for it is they also sell brands other than trek/specialized. You'll find Transition, Yeti, and SantaCruz and others there as well.

All that said, without question, hands down, unequivocally, take it to the bank, etc.... The best shop in the Boston area is JRA.
    IBIS Mojo 3
    Norco Ithaqua 2s

NEMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
    Metrowest Boaston area? Do yourself a favor and drive to JRA in Medford. Its worth the trip. Coolest, most relaxed staff around that knows their stuff. I found them about three years ago and am very, very happy I did. Hands down the best shop inside 495.

If you're interested in the Trek/Specialized mega marts Wheelworks in Belmont is huge and has a lot of inventory. One thing that Wheelworks has going for it is they also sell brands other than trek/specialized. You'll find Transition, Yeti, and SantaCruz and others there as well.

All that said, without question, hands down, unequivocally, take it to the bank, etc.... The best shop in the Boston area is JRA.
    Agreed - and if you want Giant or Cannondale, Bikeway Source in Bedford was fairly chill with good prices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks all. Planning to visit spark and jra this week!

mtbr member
    Bikebarn in Whitman, MA carries Santa Cruz and Specialized. You can demo bikes for a week.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

@njcshreds
    My shop is one of only a few Norco dealers in MA. I dig their bikes a lot and find they usually offer good bang for your buck. We are located in West Newton, MA. We are 95% a ski shop in the winter, though, and we only have a few bikes in the shop at the moment. (One of which is a Torrent which is a pretty badass hard tail plus sized all mountain bike). Check out our details in my sig.

For full disclosure, before I started working at this place I always brought my bikes to JRA for work I didn't want to or couldn't do myself. I will attest to the fact that their staff is great. Both times I had a decent amount of work done the estimate was higher than what I ended up paying.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    I am selling a 2016 Cannondale Bad Habit 1 Large at the low end of your price scale with an added dropper post. Unfortunately i haven't been selling it with much motivation as it is still in my possession after all these months.

I got back into riding this spring and liked the 27.5+ tires in a full suspension so much i upgraded to a Ibis Mojo 3. The C-dale will never see anymore use now that I have the Mojo. I actually bought my bike at JRA as well and even though it is out of my way, I am a new fan of the place.

You mentioned concern over low BB in NE riding. Low BB is a common new trend along with shorter chainstays, and slacker head angles. I went all in with the Mojo 3. The low BB takes some getting used to but being lower into the cockpit is nice on technical riding. I am much better at technical descents due to this geometry and droppper posts.

As someone getting back into the sport i can't stress enough how great a dropper post is. I didn't really think it would aide my riding but i couldn't have been more wrong. I doubt i will ever have an MTB without one again. Unless I stop liking rocky trails with features, which i doubt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks.

idbrian - I hear you. I demoed a mojo 3 and really liked it. I love the feel of the 27.5 plus set up and as I demo a couple more, we'll see if anything can top it.

mtbr member
    The Intense ACV seemed like a good deal.