New to Mass.....What are tires do you prefer out here?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New to Mass.....What tires do you prefer out here?

Just moved to Massachusetts to Foxboro. What tires do you tend to use out here? For areas like F.Gilbert Hills, Wrentham, Nam, etc

Reason why I ask, my only experience is drier California conditions........

* Edited out "wheels" for the correct term "tires" to ease the "arousal" of forum comedians.
    Last edited by BigJZ74; 12-18-2011 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jzdyrko View Post
    Just moved to Massachusetts to Foxboro. What wheels do you tend to use out here? For areas like F.Gilbert Hills, Wrentham, Nam, etc

Youll notice that New England has big rounded rocks embedded in most trails. Foxboro and Nam are similar IMO and also have these rocks with the occasional pointed rock.

I like to use Stans Arch. They are light enough for XC but strong enough to handle those rocks I described.

For tires I have been using Racing Ralphs but also found that Panaracer Rampages work very well. Big volume and tough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I highly recommend round wheels, they seem to work the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    I highly recommend round wheels, they seem to work the best.
    Damnit, you sniped me! I was gonna post the EXACT same comment.

I'm currently testing a prototype 29er version of these wheels. Will do a full report in the coming months, but initial tests yield gobs of traction and high flat resistance. Odd cornering characteristics, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ahhh so you are so clever.......must make you feel special. I obviously meant tires. Its a good thing to have people like you on message boards to help others out. It makes for a great Mountain Biking community, then again what can you expect from such a superb man......... Thanks for the insightful reply.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Watch out for the tire gender police in here!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero View Post
    Watch out for the tire gender police in here!
    I guess at least I have received one useful answer to a simple question today.....OH Sh*T...got to go I hear sirens coming.........

mtbr member
    I used to like Nevegals but they are a bit heavy and a pain to seal tubeless. I've been real happy with Specialized Capatain Control 2.1 in the back and Eskar 2.3 in the front. They seal up easily, provide plenty of volume, and traction on rocks and dirt is excellent. Also reasonably light. I've heard mixed things about Racing Ralphs, plus they are expensive and fragile. Hope this is helpful.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I've been happy with the Conti Trail King 2.25- high volume, decent weight, tons of traction, pretty low rolling resistance and decent sidewalls. The Schwalbe RR are fragile! I wore thru the sidewalls in about 2 months of regular trail riding- they have excellent grip and are FAST- but are really a race specific tire. Nevegals are good but sloooow and heavy- they have tons of traction and the sticky rubber is great in Nam- but I hate feeling like I'm riding in wet sand all the time....

mtbr member
    I see the M*******s are out in full force. Nice work fellas!

Depends on the trails you like and what you ride. If you hadn't noticed are trails tend to be pretty chunky with lots of rocks, roots, mud, packed dirt, sand all throw in. To me that says a beefier tire is necessary. Me and my buds ride mostly technical stuff with some freeride thrown in so we run high volume 2.4 tires. I've ridden Big Betty's, Fat Albert, Nevegal, Ardent all in 2.35 or 2.4 and I'm stuck on the Ardent. Now that's on my big rig. On my XC/Trail rig I run Ardent 2.4 upfront and 2.25 on back. For actual races I use the Racing Ralph 2.25's. I haven't had much luck with Kenda's stuff as the sidewalls are very thin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ahhh so you are so clever.......must make you feel special. I obviously meant tires. Its a good thing to have people like you on message boards to help others out. It makes for a great Mountain Biking community, then again what can you expect from such a superb man......... Thanks for the insightful reply.
    Lighten up. I don't want to be part of a mountain bike community that is so uptight as to have no sense of humor.

And you didn't 'clearly' mean tires. I believe it is actually possible to buy wheels for a mountain bike, and preference in those wheels might be region and terrain dependent.

The first response to your post was serious and the poster gave you advice on rims and tires, you know, 'cause you weren't so clear.

But now that you've changed your thread title, it's very clear what your looking for.

so, for the sake of clarity:

I recommend round mountain bike tires, they seem to work the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Lighten up. I don't want to be part of a mountain bike community that is so uptight as to have no sense of humor.

And you didn't 'clearly' mean tires. I believe it is actually possible to buy wheels for a mountain bike, and preference in those wheels might be region and terrain dependent.

The first response to your post was serious and the poster gave you advice on rims and tires, you know, 'cause you weren't so clear.

But now that you've changed your thread title, it's very clear what your looking for.

so, for the sake of clarity:

I recommend round mountain bike tires, they seem to work the best.
    Lighten up??????? I thought I was giving you such positive comments, and even threw in a thank you.....sarcasm is humor. Again I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your clarification of my question and your insightful response. I had been using square wheels.......climbing was just impossible, and I must admit round had never crossed my mind. I found myself a bit embarrassed for not realizing the error in my ways and tried to belittle the knowledge that you so kindly provided to me. Now with your help, I will try round wheels. I'll post a review after a few rides.......I now must figure out what to do with my wooden tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ok, All snark aside (and damnit, I do appreciate a little internet snark war),

Nowhere else in the US of A puts as great a a demand on bike tires as New England. You got three concerns: 1. Durability 2. Ability to Run lower pressures 3. Wet surface traction. And while yes, those are desirable qualities in any tire anywhere, they matter most here.

You want a tire that is Fat, tough and sticky (sounds good, huh?)....and preferably cheap. You can, and if your are not into spending a bundle, will make trade offs.

Nevegal 2.35's (and 2.2's in the 29er) Serve up great traction, float well when run Stan's tubeless but are not tough at all.

The Aforementioned Big Betty's (especially the Gooey Gluey) are dynamite tires that are fat, tough and even with tubes handle sub 30psi pressures well. But they are hard to find and cost a mint.

The Ardent 2.4 (the 2.2 are just a little too skinny and lack suitable float and traction in my opinion) is another winner and a lot cheaper than the schwalbe...but i does not have the same unshakeable wet surface grip.

A good rear tire, in a 26er with the same attributes as the Ardent, but a better roller is the Maxxis ADvantage 2.4 (don't go skinnier in this model).

The new Rampage SC could be a winner, but I haven't ever used it.

I'd avoid low-tread, skinny tires like the Slant Six or the Ignitor unless you are racing. Others disagree, only personal experience can tell you who's right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, All snark aside (and damnit, I do appreciate a little internet snark war),

Nowhere else in the US of A puts as great a a demand on bike tires as New England. You got three concerns: 1. Durability 2. Ability to Run lower pressures 3. Wet surface traction. And while yes, those are desirable qualities in any tire anywhere, they matter most here.

You want a tire that is Fat, tough and sticky (sounds good, huh?)....and preferably cheap. You can, and if your are not into spending a bundle, will make trade offs.

Nevegal 2.35's (and 2.2's in the 29er) Serve up great traction, float well when run Stan's tubeless but are not tough at all.

The Aforementioned Big Betty's (especially the Gooey Gluey) are dynamite tires that are fat, tough and even with tubes handle sub 30psi pressures well. But they are hard to find and cost a mint.

The Ardent 2.4 (the 2.2 are just a little too skinny and lack suitable float and traction in my opinion) is another winner and a lot cheaper than the schwalbe...but i does not have the same unshakeable wet surface grip.

A good rear tire, in a 26er with the same attributes as the Ardent, but a better roller is the Maxxis ADvantage 2.4 (don't go skinnier in this model).

The new Rampage SC could be a winner, but I haven't ever used it.

I'd avoid low-tread, skinny tires like the Slant Six or the Ignitor unless you are racing. Others disagree, only personal experience can tell you who's right.
    THANKS!!! LOL.....I was beginning to have such fun. I haven't ever ridden out here yet. Currently have WTB Wolverine 2.2's on my Kona Hoss Hardtail which were fine out in California. I am picking up a Trek Scratch Air 9 at the end of next week which has Bontrager XR4's on it. I am without car at the moment so only riding for the time being will be in Foxboro which will be a 7 mile road ride to get there. Do you think Advantage front and back would work, or Ardent front and Advantage rear. I definitely prefer something that rolls a bit faster, but who wouldn't. I am totally unfamiliar with this terrain and wouldn't want to sacrifice to much traction traction.... I guess I will try the XR4's but probably need something else for my HT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have ridden Fat Alberts, hated em... Minions, ok. But I am on my third set of Maxxis Advantages. 2.4 up front 2.25 in the rear. Superb tire for New England. Climbs like a beast, has predictable float and cornering grip on descents and climbs rock incredible. It is in my opinion the best N.E. tire.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

I'd Huck That....
    I've been riding Maxxis Minion Dh 2.3 on my coiler . Don't have a bad thing to say about them. Tried wtb prowler xt 2.35 didn't care for them at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, the Minion is another good tire.

I ran the ADvantage 2.4's front and rear on my sinister ridge. I had them tubeless on stan's flow rims-ran them @ 28psi and thought they worked grand. Very durable tire.

My experience with them in wet surfaces needs one caveat, they don't grip like a stick-E nevegal...which holds great-untl it doesn't and it just completely let's go. Instead, the ADvantage 2.4's will drift and slide on slick surfaces, but never completely let go...they sort of slide until the side knobs grab hold and then your traction returns.

This is a negligible trait as a rear tire, but very noticeable in the front. Some folks love this drifty, dynamic tire feel, other's find it unsettling (especially those who love something like a big stick-E nevegal in the front). Something to think about when you pick a tire.

Class Clown
    I haven't tried many tires but I've been partial to Specialized, been running a Purgatory front and Captain rear. They worked great but I'm now looking for something a little more mean for the rear. I recommend tubeless and sticky tires. Lots of rocks and roots on the trails, big rocks. Also get a wet chain lube because there is usually water on the trails. You might see some dry days but that can change quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't care much about speed....I use Maxxis Minion DHF 3C - 2.5's front and back. Heavy, expensive and for DH but I love them in the rocks. They stick awesome. Gives me a little confidence on that off camber stuff especially when its wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I use nobby nic tires. Welcome to Massachusetts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jodebane View Post
    I use nobby nic tires. Welcome to Massachusetts!
    Thanks

blet drive
    Just moved to Massachusetts to Foxboro. What tires do you tend to use out here? For areas like F.Gilbert Hills, Wrentham, Nam, etc

* Edited out "wheels" for the correct term "tires" to ease the "arousal" of forum comedians.
    Kenda neves work good on my 26er and the 29er has some specialized tires on it. not to bad.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

rack admirer

+1

I am also happy with the Captain controls. Front and Rear. Moved there from nevegals.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Currently running a WTB Stout 2.3 on the front and a Panaracer FireXC pro 2.1 in the back (both tubed). Love the Stout in front and don't mind the Panaracer. Despite it being a bit on the small side, it grips well and i'll probably keep running it until I wear it down. Haven't tried running a stout out back but I'd consider it, as well as the Panaracer FR pro.

The caveat here is that I'm not one who really obsesses about tires, I just ride them. My current setup is better than the Conti Mountain King 2.2s I was running, although I've heard the same tire in a 2.4 with the black chili compound is a different beast entirely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I haven't ever ridden out here yet. Currently have WTB Wolverine 2.2's on my Kona Hoss Hardtail which were fine out in California. I am picking up a Trek Scratch Air 9 at the end of next week which has Bontrager XR4's on it. I am without car at the moment so only riding for the time being will be in Foxboro which will be a 7 mile road ride to get there. Do you think Advantage front and back would work, or Ardent front and Advantage rear. I definitely prefer something that rolls a bit faster, but who wouldn't. I am totally unfamiliar with this terrain and wouldn't want to sacrifice to much traction traction.... I guess I will try the XR4's but probably need something else for my HT.
    Get rid of your WTB's and the Bontrager XR4's. Neither are what you want for Foxy or Nam. Don't bother with Nevegals, either. Sidewalls are like paper.

Specialized Clutch is a perfect rear tire for your Scratch. What model of the Clutch you get, depends on how much you care about weight? I've run lots of tires, and this is one of the best for tech Ma. riding. These things grip like suction cups on rock, and can be completely trusted in corners.

Side note: Add Borderland to your ride spots, and skip Wrentham.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    Get rid of your WTB's and the Bontrager XR4's. Neither are what you want for Foxy or Nam. Don't bother with Nevegals, either. Sidewalls are like paper.

Specialized Clutch is a perfect rear tire for your Scratch. What model of the Clutch you get, depends on how much you care about weight? I've run lots of tires, and this is one of the best for tech Ma. riding. These things grip like suction cups on rock, and can be completely trusted in corners.

Side note: Add Borderland to your ride spots, and skip Wrentham.
    Thanks for the tip on Borderland, looks like Fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    Damnit, you sniped me! I was gonna post the EXACT same comment.

I'm currently testing a prototype 29er version of these wheels. Will do a full report in the coming months, but initial tests yield gobs of traction and high flat resistance. Odd cornering characteristics, though.
    Way too much trail erosion from that particular tread pattern Smelly...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Just a flesh wound

Fat and Nobby

I ride a Weirwolf 2.5" front and a Weirwolf 2.3" on the back. I like them a lot. I ride Wompatuck mostly.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For 26'' tires Maxxis minion or high roller, maybe the newer nevengal.

For 29'' tires Maxxis Ardent 2.4 may be the best all around high volume tire, Im currently using the WTB Dissent 2.5 and they are great if you can put up with the weight. Spec 29-4 I hear are good too.

For a Fatbike a Big Fat Larry 4.7 will do ya really well in the snow.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Way too much trail erosion from that particular tread pattern Smelly...
    This tread pattern was developed using proprietary Sierra Club technology (patent pending). Using 413.11b wireless gyroscopic sensortron dondles optimized and adjusted for rider weight, soil moisture, and leaf litter, this process develops a long-term computer algorithm based on historical trail usage and weather patterns to determine erosion effects of the wheel and its tread pattern. Side-by-side data comparisons with 24 popular mountain bike tires demonstrated that this is far and away the most environmentally friendly tread pattern ever created. I expect we'll win a Nobel for this. Seems like the obvious next step.

All this data was all done with a double-blind study and is placebo balanced. So you know it's true. And that should be obvious, because it's a tread pattern based on the footprint of a species known as H omo Hikericus, widely considered by the Sierra Club, Friends of the Fells, and other leading environmental organizations to be the lowest impact form of human.

I'll soon be selling these on my website for $850, and that includes mounting and thrust bearings (but only for female riders). These would look pretty rad on your Niner, H. PM me and I'll get you a demo set.
    Last edited by smelly; 12-01-2011 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nevegal Stick-e 2.35's have served me pretty well. Don't settle for the dual tread compound Nevegal if you go this route. IMO, doesn't grip as well, and I've had a couple where the knobs just start ripping off, and your tire starts to look like it has mange.

Lots of people up this way running the Maxxis Ardents in a 2.4, as has been mentioned previously.

Welcome to Mass!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Blue Sky Cycling has Ardent 2.4 and Advantage 2.4 in Wire Beads.....are wire beads OK or should I look for foldable models?

mtbr member
    Blue Sky Cycling has Ardent 2.4 and Advantage 2.4 in Wire Beads.....are wire beads OK or should I look for foldable models?
    I haven't run a wire bead tire in 10 years or so, just cause they aren't available most places. They are heavier and much harder to mount/dismount for field fixes, but... Not sure if there might still be advantages.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another vote for the Maxxis Ardent 2.4s. They are wicked awesome. Cali translation - You'll be stoked brah.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wire beads are fine, just a bit harder to mount and a tad heavier. If this isn't an issue, and the price is right, grab em.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    I've been happy with the Conti Trail King 2.25- high volume, decent weight, tons of traction, pretty low rolling resistance and decent sidewalls. The Schwalbe RR are fragile! I wore thru the sidewalls in about 2 months of regular trail riding- they have excellent grip and are FAST- but are really a race specific tire. Nevegals are good but sloooow and heavy- they have tons of traction and the sticky rubber is great in Nam- but I hate feeling like I'm riding in wet sand all the time....
    I second this recommendation. I run a 2.2 in back and a 2.4 in front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ardent 2.4 are one of my favs. Using them front and rear x 2 years at least.
    Maxxis Highroller in larger volume. 2.35 pinch flat too easily for me.
    Minion DH 2.5 I like as well.
    Nevegals 2.35 grip very well in mud and on wet rocks but I find they roll with more resistance than all the above.
    Conti Fat Alberts were ok but prefer all the above more.

More XC: I really like WTB Mutanoraptors 2.4 as a front tire.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    YUP Maxxis Ardents here as well. I use to run the Nevegals but always had knobs tearing off and side walls tears.

mtbr member
    Check out the local bike shop Foxboro bike. It's run by a bunch of nice guys who love trail riding. They'll be able to help you with tires and perhaps show you a trail or two!

mtbr member
    For the rocks around here I prefer a large volume tire. Currently my favorite tire is the WTB Weirwolf LT (low tread) 2.55. The high volume lets you run low pressures (20-25psi) so they smooth out the trail and form over wet roots while the low tread design lets them roll fast. Every other tire I've tried required at least 40psi to keep from pinch flatting. And that includes a 2.35 Nevegal. Unfortunately WTB say it is currently on vacation so I'm anxionsly awaiting the new version.

cash money
    Kenda karma has worked out well for me
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have tried a few different tire (WTB Velociraptors), Michelin's XCR's, Vredestien bull Locks, but the best tires I've used for Wompy, Blue Hills, Dux, F Gilbert etc have been the Michelin Mtn Kings 2.4 fr, 2.2 rear. Grips well, rolls over stuff easily (i'm on a 26er) and generally a good all around choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterF1963 View Post
    but the best tires I've used for Wompy, Blue Hills, Dux, F Gilbert etc have been the Michelin Mtn Kings 2.4 fr, 2.2 rear. Grips well, rolls over stuff easily (i'm on a 26er) and generally a good all around choice.
    I believe you mean Continental but yup. My bike came with 2.2s that were the steel bead, made in china ones. Swapped to different tires for a bit, now I just picked up a set of Mountain King 2.4s Protection with the black chili compound made in germany. Whole 'nuther beast entirely with the better rubber and the best all around tire I've tried.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, sorry. Conti Mountain Kings.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should give Contis another try. A couple years ago I got one for the rear (don't remember exactly which one but it was at least 2.35 and I paid full retail ($60)). The tubless lasted about 5 miles then it wouldn't hold air so I had to put a tub in. After several pinch flats I found that it had to be pumped up to at least 42psi to keep from flatting. At that pressure I think any tire would suck and this one sure did. Never had traction and would bounce all over the place. Unfortunately, I found the same to be true for the Nevegal. Then I demoed a Nomad for a week that had WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LTs. I thought the bike was decent but what I liked most were the tires. So I bought a set for my Prophet (again full retail $60 but my subsequent sets I got at Treefort for about $30 something) and they transformed my bike. I played around with the air pressure and found that I could go as low as 25psi in the rear without pinch flatting. I ran 20-22psi for a while but in some extreme cirmcumstances I would get a flat. Like I said in my last post they don't make it anymore but I can't wait for the new one to come out. They have a new one in 29" tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Contis do tend to run small supposedly. For example my MK 2.4s are almost the exact same size as the WTB Stout 2.3 that I used to run on the front. They are almost the same size as the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25. Just have to keep that in mind when you're looking. Also the newer Mountain King II has a different tread pattern that I'd love to try but the old model was on sale for 28 bucks per so I couldn't pass it up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yeah, my 2.4 conti MK front is noticeably smaller than the Vredestein Bull Lock 2.35 (which may run big). I am guessing the Mk 2.4 is 2.3 or 2.25 actual. Nice tire though, and rolls over rocks and logs with confidence.

mtbr member
    conti mountain king II protection, all I ride on anymore. I have been running tubless in them for a few hundred miles of very rocky riding, I usually don't lose even a pound of pressure, and lightweight to boot, under 600 grams! If I were to try anything else I would be on a set of highrollers. I should say, the important thing is to get the NEW mountain king, not the old mountain king that most bike shops are still stocking, they have very soft side nobs that fold when cornering hard, great for rocks, but sucky for everything else. The MK II's are great though...
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    conti mountain king II protection, all I ride on anymore. I have been running tubless in them for a few hundred miles of very rocky riding, I usually don't lose even a pound of pressure, and lightweight to boot, under 600 grams! If I were to try anything else I would be on a set of highrollers. I should say, the important thing is to get the NEW mountain king, not the old mountain king that most bike shops are still stocking, they have very soft side nobs that fold when cornering hard, great for rocks, but sucky for everything else. The MK II's are great though...
    Yeah thats what I've heard on the new ones. The old model is definitely not the best for high speed cornering, but as I said the price was right. $56 for the pair was cheaper than a single for the new ones. I tend to do a lot more slow, rocky riding than high speed, laying-it-over turns anyways so I don't mind it much. If I really hate it on Highland days and stuff later this summer I'll replace just the front but so far, meh. Hard to go wrong at 28 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EricAlmighty View Post
    Kenda karma has worked out well for me
    Where do you ride at where kenda karma's are okay? I rode them once in the Fells, in a loose patch of gravel and I felt I was going to wipe out.

cash money
    Quote Originally Posted by nrsnow View Post
    Where do you ride at where kenda karma's are okay? I rode them once in the Fells, in a loose patch of gravel and I felt I was going to wipe out.
    worked well (new bike now, so no more use of them) because i had them on for about a year and never flatted once. ran low pressure and im also pretty light. but i will be getting something more aggressive for the bike im on now (29er). they did slip a lot on the uphills.
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Welcome to Mass, Newburyport is a nice place to ride too

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been a long time fan of the kenda nevegals. I run a 2.5's and they seem to be a really well performing tire all around. Takes a bit more to push the 2.5's around and the chili compound wears quickly but it's worth it for the hook-up.
    A few of the guys in my crew ride the Trail King by Conti (2.4) and rave about it. I just picked up a few to try for myself.