New in area, where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New in area, where to ride?

Hey guys,

My wife and I just moved to Massachusetts from the midwest. I was wondering about where the good places to ride are. We live just north of the 95 and 38 junction in Woburn to be close to her job.

Looking for XC riding and some good road rides as well. When all this snow finally goes away it'll be great checking some new trails!

Thanks in advance!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/harp.htm

http://www.flw.org/

Make sure you go here this summer http://www.kingdomtrails.com/

I would drive to NH to ride road, seriously.

mtbr member
    I don't know of much near Woburn but check out my map below.

mtbr member
    Also, check out nemba.org for group rides and special events.

mtbr member
    Great Brook, Russell Mills, "Beddy" (not sure of the real name of the place), Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, and even the Fells are all relatively close to you.

Beddy and Great Brook are both mellow, but are fun places to ride. The Fells is fun and mellow as well, but conflict between different users and avoiding "forbidden" trails make it a little unwelcoming. HP (my fave), Lynn, and Russell Mills are all a bit more technical.

I lived in Michigan for a bit, and really appreciated how well-marked teh trails out there were. Don't expect to find that here. When I first started riding I hit-up Great Brook a lot mostly because it was the easiest to navigate.

Enjoy, and welcome.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the area. There is some great riding to be had on most if not all disciplines. For XC you're fairly close to the Harold Parker and the Fells. The Fells is decent but is involved with some conflict. HP is fantastic technical XC riding and should keep you busy for quite some time. There's a ton more trail if you're willing to drive a bit further but I'd start off with HP and the Fells and branch out from there. If you want to get into more AM type riding look at Lynn Woods and Vietnam as 2 large trail systems with very challenging terrain.

I'm no roadie but I have had good road rides in the same area as HP (Andover) as well as in the Boxford, Georgetown area. There is also some sweet riding in the North Shore area going through Manchester-by-the-See, Gloucester, Ipswich.

You should also be looking at some road trip destinations. Kingdom Trails is a must see for anyone who likes mountain biking. There's also Millstone/Barre, the North Conway area, Bear Brook and others that are all day tripe-able.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    http://www.landlockedforest.com/trailmap6-13-2010.pdf
    Not a huge area to ride in, but right next door to you.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the area!
    There are many, many places to ride as you can see by what others have listed -- all fun.
    NEMBA has a lot of mountain bike rides and events -- www.nemba.org
    You are in a great spot for road rides as well.
    For road rides check out the North Shore Cyclists -- www.nscyc.org
    Also for road rides check out the Charles River Wheelmen -- www.crw.org
    I live in Medford and do a lot of mtb and road riding with others in the area so if you would like to join us on any of our rides then pm me with your e-mail address.

Happy Trails,
    ~Frank

Class Clown
    There is no real conflict with riding in the Fells. Yes there are alot of politics but I ride there all the time and have never had an issue.

blet drive
    you will find lots of good places to ride. but the trails are not marked like the west...
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    For someone new to road riding in the area, one of these maps in invaluable: http://www.bikemaps.com/regmaps.htm You can plan out rides as long as you want while avoiding busy/narrow roads.

Members who have read this thread: 0