Nemba event sept 14: great brook or Russell mill?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Nemba event sept 14: great brook or Russell mill?

I'm thinking of attending the nemba event on 9/14 but am unsure if I should do the short intermediate or long intermediate ride. Anyone done them in years past? What's the difference between the trails of Great Brook vs Russell Mill?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The way the rides are set up, most of the short intermediate ride is completed before you break off to head for Russell Mill. You could see how you feel at that point. Only Stone Row is left to do on the "short" ride, but Stone Row is probably the most technical trail at Great Brook and also offers a fairly sustained climb, them some sharp descents.

There is a few miles of pavement to and from Russell Mill. I have only ridden Russell Mill once, it is not too bad, some climbing, a little more sustained than what you find at GB. If you decide to try Russell Mill you can always skip Stone Row on the way back if you are really tired. I think NEMBA did a good job with the routing, if you head out to Russell Mill and get tired, easy to bail and just take the road route back.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Thanks. That's pretty helpful. What's the epic advanced ride like? Same route just faster pace?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Thanks. That's pretty helpful. What's the epic advanced ride like? Same route just faster pace?
    Yes, same route, faster pace, fewer stops.

Hooligan
    Russell mill is awesome. Great purpose built singletrack that flows beautifully and is well maintained. I highly recommend checking it out. If you don't feel up to it on that specific day, I will gladly show you around another time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I rode the short intermediate ride this morning. 13 miles in length according to the NEMBA trail map. I actually started at the Thanksgiving Forest parking lot. It took me just under two hours riding at a "social" ride pace. The Russell Mill loop adds 10 miles according to NEMBA. Too hot a day for me to attempt the Russell Mill loop.

Two spots to look out for. Exiting either the first or second bridge (can't remember which) on Acorn North, you want to use a little caution, when you come off the bridge, your front wheel will drop in a hole, depending on your speed. Fast and real slow are probably okay, anything in between, not so good. Of course, I was in between. I don't remember that being there before, I wonder if something got moved.

The real buster is where Acorn south crosses Curve Street. You drop down an embankment into a drainage ditch, then hit the edge of the pavement. I was looking left and right for cars and almost neutered myself. I can see someone doing an OTB onto the pavement into traffic. Since it is a drainage ditch, I suspect anything placed there gets washed away. Hopefully NEMBA will flag it, or put a temporary crossing there. I have ridden most of Great Brook, but that section was new too me. It leads you to a back entrance to Fern loop. I always liked Fern loop, but didn't ride it much because it was sort of out of the way. I usually see some deer on Fern loop and saw some this morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Russell Mill is dope as hell

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Russell mill is awesome. Great purpose built singletrack that flows beautifully and is well maintained. I highly recommend checking it out. If you don't feel up to it on that specific day, I will gladly show you around another time.
    Agreed. Russell Mill is such awesome riding. If possible, go with someone who knows the trails well and you will have a blast. I have some pics to post from the last time I rode last Thursday.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieSaldana View Post
    Agreed. Russell Mill is such awesome riding. If possible, go with someone who knows the trails well and you will have a blast. I have some pics to post from the last time I rode last Thursday.
    I should also mention that NEMBA leads rides there every friday. ride leaves at 5pm, and swings back to the lot at 6 to pick up a second wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.