Need a place to ride...- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Need a place to ride...

...I recently moved to the Springfield/ Holyoke area and looking for good places to ride. I ride a single speed rigid 29'r if that makes a recommendation difference. Thanks.

mtbr member

A few choices within 30 miles +/-

Robinson State Park Agawam. Perfect match for rigid SS.
    The DAR Goshen. Probably the next best choice for SS Rigid in the area. Not many grunt climbs and rollable rocks galore.
    Earl's at the Notch in South Amherst swoopy and fast. Moderate climbing.
    Batchelor St - Rocky and Technical. Probably not a good choice for full rigid.
    Deerfield Ridge. A few significant climbs, but you should be OK if you are strong.
    Greenfield Ridge. See deerfield but more sharp rock.
    Dubuque or Wendell if you travel further...

H.

never ender
    Batchelor St is worth a trip, even if a rigid SS isn't ideal. I've seen a couple of SSers out there, and I know Smelly rides his Karate Monkey there sometimes, so I'm sure it's doable. Earle's is just up 116, and would probably make a great SS ride. You can park at the Notch and ride a bit of both in an afternoon.

Apr 2006
    I've been out to Batchelor St, but looking for other trails. I think I'm going to try Robinson State Park tomorrow. Where exactly do you park for Earl's? Directions or a link would be great. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Robinson is great for a SS. It is supposed to rain tomorrow (Sat) though... I'd be up for a ride tonight if you want. I sorta-kinda know my way around Robinson.

- Chris

never ender
    to get to Earle's, just keep going up 116 past the turn for B Street, and park at the Notch Visitor's Center at the top of the ridge. Cross the street, go up the little road past the forestry station, and there's a trailhead to the right by the gate (the trail to the left is the Bare Mtn trail, closed to bikes and unrideable anyway).

Members who have read this thread: 0