Need New Bike For Lynn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Need New Bike For Lynn

it's time to upgrade my frame. need something around 6" that can handle the abuse of lynn but is not too portly. what do you guys think i should be considering? thanks for your input

mtbr member
    Budget?

over my head
    Turner rfx!
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What's your height and weight? Got as friend with a frame that is perfect for Lynn.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison View Post
    Turner rfx!
    I just happen to have an 08 large frame for sale too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    need large frame. i am 6' 3" 210lbs. budget around 2k. thanks

over my head
    Buy the RFX!
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    last year got an '09 Specialized Enduro Comp on closeout for 2K from LBS (list new at 3K). I'm sure you could find the same or less price. Love the set up for gnarlier places like that around MA, and even lift access stuff....And it can actually climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Lynn Woods

I live in winthrop ma, and ride lynn woods often..Im on a hardtail xc right now Cannondale SL 2...but I want to upgrade to a Turner RFX can anyone give me any advice about the frame, im 6'2 190 and there is an Xl frame for sale on ebay ($500) but im not sure about the size. also would my SL2 componets fit (Fork..Headset..etc.)

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cimminob View Post
    I live in winthrop ma, and ride lynn woods often..Im on a hardtail xc right now Cannondale SL 2...but I want to upgrade to a Turner RFX can anyone give me any advice about the frame, im 6'2 190 and there is an Xl frame for sale on ebay ($500) but im not sure about the size. also would my SL2 componets fit (Fork..Headset..etc.)

Well coming off a large myself (which I still have the frameset for sale) You may be better off with the XL. According to Turner you are on the short side for an XL. If you were looking for a more flickable bike to build up for trails and park riding you might consider going large but strictly for trail riding even Lynn woods trail riding you will probably be better off on the XL.
    As for weather or not your components will swap over I can't say. Most likely things like the drivetrain, cockpit brakes and wheels will be ok. The one item you will need would be a fork that is unless you're already running a 150-160 travel fork.

mtbr member
    Lots of good options in the 6" range these days. For 2k-ish you're going to have to go used. I'd plan on being flexible and say 2 to 3k - ish to really open up your options. Keep in mind they all will have some strengths and weaknesses. Here would be my list:

Knolly Delirium T - On the heavy side but pedals great and is burly as heck. Can be taken to the lifts as well.
    Knolly Endorphin - Lighter and pedals better than the Delirium
    Pivot Firebird - DW link makes this bike pedal really well.
    Turner RFX - Solid all around 6x6 bike backed by a great company.
    Titus El Guapo - Pedals great, stiff, newer ones have 1.5 HT and ISCG tabs. Brand new frames can be found on the cheap.
    SC Nomad - I'm not a big fan of VPP but lots of my buddies have this bike and like it.
    SC Butcher - Not bad looking budget bike. Updated geometry makes this use-able.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yeah, i bumped up my budget to 3k. i looked at the knolly delirium but think it will be too heavy. the nomad is not bad looking. i am strongly leaning towards an intense tracer 2 with cane creek dbl brl shock and fox 36 van fork. my buddy lives in san diego and can get frames/parts for 10% above cost so i should be able to save some good money

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll View Post
    yeah, i bumped up my budget to 3k. i looked at the knolly delirium but think it will be too heavy. the nomad is not bad looking. i am strongly leaning towards an intense tracer 2 with cane creek dbl brl shock and fox 36 van fork. my buddy lives in san diego and can get frames/parts for 10% above cost so i should be able to save some good money
    Just make sure you have an intense dealer that you can work thru if/when QC and breakage issues arise. I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but it is certainly something to consider when making the decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think the Transition Bottlerocket had been mentioned, I hear they are pretty tough.

Their website has closeout demo bikes
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2011-08-25_23:06:47}-74254994&P=2673&o=1
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    it took over a year (for a number of reasons!) but i finally got my new bike.
    2012 intense uzzi with fox van 180mm. weighs in at 32lbs. climbs like a goat. what a difference coming from a 4-bar. my buddy lives in san diego and was able to get it direct from intense. saved me some coin. came fully built except pedals. i changed the stem & bars and added the spanks pedals and mrp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need New Bike For Lynn-img_3286.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    NICE!!!! I always liked the Uzzi, esp for Lynn. Enjoy, looks bad ass too, all murdered out!
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

guru meditation
    That looks capable of conquering small countries.. sick!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    With no ill intent, I question if your scale is accurate. Coil front and rear. No obvious carbon bits. 6'3". Must be a large frame. 32 would be pretty impressive if true.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    you are correct. i just threw it on the scale at home so i question the accuracy myself. i will try to get a more precise weigh in, but the thing is really light.
    also, thanks to nick at centraal cycles for the fine tune adjustments.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Nice ride, I don't see a lot of new Intense bikes around here... I do expect to see you in Lynn regularly now, I'll be look for bling flying by.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    so i finally had the bike professionally weighed at the shop. came in at 35.2 lbs. funny that i think that is light. my old bike was around 40+ with a monster t on the front so i guess anything would seem really light after that!