Mystery: So who is cutting trees down onto trails in Freetown State Forest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mystery: So who is cutting trees down onto trails in Freetown State Forest?

A month ago I noticed several trails in the loop off the motorcycle parking area had fresh trees and saplings cut and dropped on the trails. At first I thought that it was Winter damage, but after walking through it, the trees were green (live) and bleeding sap. I called the MA Environmental Police, and all I got was, "I heard about that..." I asked them to come out, but it was a no show.

Last week I was told that several people heard that there was a group with a federal grant to limit trail access/usage.

Another friend saw a group of college age people with little yellow safety helmets and chainsaws going into the forest last week. Today I was told the same group was coming out of the forest with chainsaws.

What I am concerned about is that there is no information, postings, or signage about what is going on. What if some doesn't know about this and gets injured or worse.

Why in the hell would a federal grant allow cutting of live trees in the State Forest? My guess is that it wouldn't and the people doing this are operating with no guidance or oversight. What about using dollars to clean up the current mapped trails.

Does anyone know about this or have any insight? Thanks.

Steve
    Freetown Resident

mtbr member
    On the parking lot side, or across the street on the man loop??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    On the parking lot side, or across the street on the man loop??
    The areas that I saw were on the parking lot side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did just get a call back from Karl Pastore, SE Regional Director of MA Bureau of Forestry. He said that the MA Student Conservation Association has a grant to drop trees on illegal and 'non-mapped' trails in Freetown State Forest. I did point out that most of the cut trees were green or saplings, and that there was no notification posted anywhere so people are aware.

He was not happy about either item and is going to review and get back to me.

https://www.thesca.org/serve/program...s-corps?page=1

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Damn shame they make kids do that. SCA is supposed to be giving them useful experiences.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    If that was an RTP Grant that's hardly enhancing the publics trail experiences... Misuse of funds.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup. View Post
    I did just get a call back from Karl Pastore, SE Regional Director of MA Bureau of Forestry. He said that the MA Student Conservation Association has a grant to drop trees on illegal and 'non-mapped' trails in Freetown State Forest. I did point out that most of the cut trees were green or saplings, and that there was no notification posted anywhere so people are aware.

He was not happy about either item and is going to review and get back to me.

https://www.thesca.org/serve/program...s-corps?page=1

Cheers.
    if they can be dropped, they can be removed

don't ***** about it, do somethin about it. at night and if it isn't posted

EAT MORE GRIME
    if they are dropping them they should also post up placards stating why it was dropped and not to remove it

because someone like me who carries a 14.3 inch silky 24x7, will come riding in and zip those downed trees aside in a few seconds if there is no signage indicating illegal trail

on a side note...downed saplings is the typical signature move by Audubon idiots who want to block trails so bird watchers can....get fat and watch birds

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the trail that's parallel to Copicut rd? Because that trail is on the southeast mass. Bio reserve map.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by richlather View Post
    Are you talking about the trail that's parallel to Copicut rd? Because that trail is on the southeast mass. Bio reserve map.
    No, the stuff I saw today was off High St/ Bell rock. I did the loop from the motorcycle lot around the top of the quarry and saw a bunch of fresh stuff cut down to block trails. All small stuff, no more than 3" caliper, except in that old sand pit you go by where there was some big stuff dropped. If they are trying to close trails off temporarily to let them "bounce back" from years of riding I can kind of see it but they're going about it all ass backwards imo. Some of the blocked trails have been in use for as long as I've been riding out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's nice to get some clarification on this. They have definitely been blocking official trails appearing on the Southeastern Massachusetts Bioreserve trail map as many of the segments connecting Haskal Path and Wompanoag Path have been blocked as well as a few shorter segments nearer to the parking lot. I suppose this is what happens when the local forest rangers familiar with the area aren't asked to be involved in federally managed projects.