MWRA opening 40 miles of trails in eastern MA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MWRA opening 40 miles of trails in eastern MA

I searched a few different ways and didn't see this anywhere in here.

Mass. will open 40 miles of MWRA trails to public - Boston.com

‘No trespassing’ signs along a historic ribbon of land from Clinton to Boston will be removed over coming months, after state officials announced Tuesday they would make a network of trails over a century-old system of aqueducts accessible to hikers, bikers, or anyone seeking a stroll in the woods.

The 40 miles of land, long used surreptitiously by residents, will become accessible as the communities are granted permission to share the land with the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.

“This policy is a great example of promoting multiple environmental goals: clean water supply, open-space access, and connecting people to the outdoors,’’ state Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Rick Sullivan said at a press conference in Boston. “We welcome partnerships with local communities to help enhance safety while providing public access to this pristine open space...’’
    Probably not earth-shattering singletrack, but trails is trails.

mtbr member
    This could be a cool adventure on a day when the single tracks are too wet or something.

A map will be very helpful. I'm sure with all the apps out there, a map will be available pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Ah, I love seeing people connect like this out East (or anywhere). I feel like there is so much potential for multi-use and shared space. MTB has come a long way, though there are still the ignorant who find it dangerous and detrimental to land. And public policy is catching up with the idea that good trail systems promote health not only of the human body but of the environment and communities. I see a real lack of this on the East Coast and especially here in my home of CT. Way to go Mass!

mtbr member
    Funny, I have lived here all my life and never heard of Clinton so I looked it up and I was suprised to see that it's out beyond 495. If there is a trail from there to Boston that's a hell of a ride and I would love to check it out.

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a map of the Sudbury, Weston, Wachusett, and Cochituate aqueducts.

mtbr member
    What a cool map; it has to be 100 years old!

mtbr member
    thanks for the map, anyone should be able to follow that.

Members who have read this thread: 0