Moving to Southeast MA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Moving to Southeast MA

Hey all,

So I will be moving to MA from PA this summer somewhere in the southeast part of the state. Likely somewhere in Plymouth or Bristol County. I also happen to be in the market for a new bike; probably a Tallboy, Hightower, or the new Stumpjumper or Stumpjumper ST. . Open to the idea of a plus bike, but leaning towards 29er. I was hoping somebody here could chime in with recommendations based on local terrain up there. As for me, I'm a 40 year old, 6' 245 lb. clyde. Intermediate rider, who doesn't get too nuts on big stuff, but wants a bike with room to grow. TIA.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MachoCheese View Post
    Hey all,

So I will be moving to MA from PA this summer somewhere in the southeast part of the state. Likely somewhere in Plymouth or Bristol County. I also happen to be in the market for a new bike; probably a Tallboy, Hightower, or the new Stumpjumper or Stumpjumper ST. . Open to the idea of a plus bike, but leaning towards 29er. I was hoping somebody here could chime in with recommendations based on local terrain up there. As for me, I'm a 40 year old, 6' 245 lb. clyde. Intermediate rider, who doesn't get too nuts on big stuff, but wants a bike with room to grow. TIA.
    Leaving PA riding for New England riding, vibes bro

That said, Plymouth area has an absolute EPIC amount off off-road trail riding. More than most anywhere per square mile in New England. Only the Cape has it beat.

For bikes? Shit anything works. If I was living in that area I'd entertain going full fat. Lots of the riding is loose and steep. Lots of awesome awesome moto singletrack trails that can tend to be sandy, totally fun on regular 29er but for year round full fat will take you anywhere.

I ride a very lightweight Carbon hardtail 29er and that works great everywhere for me. Makes climbs super pleasant and going down? Well that's just gravity so anything will work well on the downs if you know how to ride. Plus connecting trails from town to town is way more efficient on a HT. Less maintenance too. I have ridden the newest Tallboy carbon and it's very nice. Maybe when I'm 60 haha. 15 years to go!

Again vibes, PA riding rocks, literally, I've ridden a ton down there especially western PA/WV

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Haha, yeah we got rocks for days! Although I've been checking out some YouTube vids of places up there that look pretty damn rocky too. The Plymouth area does look pretty sandy though; maybe a plus bike wouldn't be the worst idea.

I ride a HT now and I've got a fat bike in the back of my mind for down the road a bit, but looking to go FS this time. I should be able to carve out a nice chunk of change from the sale of our house down here to buy a good one. What bike to buy, what town to move to... decisions, decisions.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Oh ya, mass has plenty of rocks, plenty of challenge all over. Plymouth has some entertaining tech east of 3A across from serious cycles. When I lived on the Cape we would always hit up Pine hills for way longer climbs/descents. And rocks. Otis has some rock tho. Plus bike would be good, especially 29+. 27.5+ never did anything for me the times I've ridden them. Smaller diameter than regular 29er combined with mid fat tires. I'd rather just have 26 full fat.

Plymouth puts you in striking distance of so much great riding. Cape. Duxbury, Wompituck, Freetown, Foxboro, Vietnam, Blue Hills......

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Oh ya, mass has plenty of rocks, plenty of challenge all over. Plymouth has some entertaining tech east of 3A across from serious cycles. When I lived on the Cape we would always hit up Pine hills for way longer climbs/descents. And rocks. Otis has some rock tho. Plus bike would be good, especially 29+. 27.5+ never did anything for me the times I've ridden them. Smaller diameter than regular 29er combined with mid fat tires. I'd rather just have 26 full fat.

Plymouth puts you in striking distance of so much great riding. Cape. Duxbury, Wompituck, Freetown, Foxboro, Vietnam, Blue Hills......
    Thanks man, I'm looking forward to checking all those areas out! Several of those places are also on our housing list. Freetown, Foxboro, Duxbury are all in play. All we need are reasonable commuting times (by Boston standards, lol) to Quincy and Providence, and decent schools.

rack admirer
    Thanks man, I'm looking forward to checking all those areas out! Several of those places are also on our housing list. Freetown, Foxboro, Duxbury are all in play. All we need are reasonable commuting times (by Boston standards, lol) to Quincy and Providence, and decent schools.
    I live in Braintree. My preferred ride spots in order of distance are Blue Hills, Wompatuck, Viet Nam, Pine Hills. More depending places depending on individual taste and time. PM if you are seeking housing info relative to where you work- commuter traffic , rental prices, etc
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I live in Braintree. My preferred ride spots in order of distance are Blue Hills, Wompatuck, Viet Nam, Pine Hills. More depending places depending on individual taste and time. PM if you are seeking housing info relative to where you work- commuter traffic , rental prices, etc
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I live in Rehoboth, MA and work in East Providence, RI. Used to live in Quincy and used to do the Boston shuffle everyday. Anything you can do to avoid driving into the city during commuter hours....do that. For access to Providence/Quincy, look inside the I95/Rt24/I195 triangle. Obviously the closer to Boston, the more expensive the housing is.

I ride a plus hardtail and I love it, although I'm not exactly an ocean of experience. Some of the really gnarly stuff (Freetown) has me wishing for rear suspenders but I manage. I have about 5 miles of secret stash in my backyard, then there's seemingly limitless trails in many different areas that I can be at within 30 minutes of my house...a few within 10-15.

mtbr member
    I'm also in Braintree. Blue Hills and Wompatuck are my go to places.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    I'm also in Braintree. Blue Hills and Wompatuck are my go to places.
    I'll also add that I have a Tallboy 29er and fat 26 with front suspension. I've been enjoying the fat more lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I live in Rehoboth, MA and work in East Providence, RI. Used to live in Quincy and used to do the Boston shuffle everyday. Anything you can do to avoid driving into the city during commuter hours....do that. For access to Providence/Quincy, look inside the I95/Rt24/I195 triangle. Obviously the closer to Boston, the more expensive the housing is.

I ride a plus hardtail and I love it, although I'm not exactly an ocean of experience. Some of the really gnarly stuff (Freetown) has me wishing for rear suspenders but I manage. I have about 5 miles of secret stash in my backyard, then there's seemingly limitless trails in many different areas that I can be at within 30 minutes of my house...a few within 10-15.
    Thanks! There's a house for sale in Rehoboth that we LOVE the looks of on Peckham st., but I think the commute to Quincy would be a bit long. The more I look at things the more I think the Easton, Foxboro area is ideal or maybe one of the Bridgewater towns. It sounds like there's a lot of good riding all over the area though!

I'll also add that I have a Tallboy 29er and fat 26 with front suspension. I've been enjoying the fat more lately.
    Lots of love for the fatbike in MA! I had my eye on a new Stumpjumper Expert, but maybe I'll have to go with the Comp instead. That $1300 savings would go a long ways towards a Fatboy...

mtbr member
    I'd check commute traffic from those towns to Quincy to see what you are in for. I take the train into Boston from Quincy but if you ever switch to a Boston job done towns will be easier by train than others.

PM me if you have questions.

The Riddler
    Go for the Hightower, will give you room to grow and there's plenty of gravity oriented terrain in that area. If you won't be leaving the ground often or don't ride super fast downhill, Tallboy would be awesome as well. Plus bikes seem to have a love em or leave em following, make sure you demo one if you haven't already.

Be sure to check out Diamond Hill and Lincoln Woods in RI, also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks! There's a house for sale in Rehoboth that we LOVE the looks of on Peckham st., but I think the commute to Quincy would be a bit long. The more I look at things the more I think the Easton, Foxboro area is ideal or maybe one of the Bridgewater towns. It sounds like there's a lot of good riding all over the area though!
    Hah! You would be about a quarter mile from my house if you bought that place...and yes, it's a great house. It would also come with directions to my super secret trailhead.

Anyhow, Easton/Foxboro/Bridgewater(s) are all nice. Definitely look at Norton (there's a great brewery there) and Mansfield as well. Stay away from Brockton, Stoughton, and Taunton.

There's a bunch of great riding around all of these towns. Most stuff on the south coast is rocky, rooty, loamy type terrain. Not a ton of extended climbs, mostly short punchy stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'd check commute traffic from those towns to Quincy to see what you are in for. I take the train into Boston from Quincy but if you ever switch to a Boston job done towns will be easier by train than others.

PM me if you have questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Go for the Hightower, will give you room to grow and there's plenty of gravity oriented terrain in that area. If you won't be leaving the ground often or don't ride super fast downhill, Tallboy would be awesome as well. Plus bikes seem to have a love em or leave em following, make sure you demo one if you haven't already.

Be sure to check out Diamond Hill and Lincoln Woods in RI, also.
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Hah! You would be about a quarter mile from my house if you bought that place...and yes, it's a great house. It would also come with directions to my super secret trailhead.

Anyhow, Easton/Foxboro/Bridgewater(s) are all nice. Definitely look at Norton (there's a great brewery there) and Mansfield as well. Stay away from Brockton, Stoughton, and Taunton.

There's a bunch of great riding around all of these towns. Most stuff on the south coast is rocky, rooty, loamy type terrain. Not a ton of extended climbs, mostly short punchy stuff.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback!

Loudbeard,

Yeah, that house looks really nice, throw in secret trails and my wife might just have to deal with a long commute, lol!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I live in Hanover and commute to Quincy. We've been there for 5 years and love it. The commute to Quincy is totally manageable (30-35 minutes on most days) and it's a great town with a good school system. Easy access to Wompatuck, Duxbury, Plymouth, Blue Hills, etc. Not sure on the commute to Providence but I'd guess a little over an hour.

My office is actually right across the street from an entrance to Blue Hills so a few of us from work often cut out a little early on Friday afternoons to ride there. Also a great spot for trail running if you're into that.

As others have mentioned, Easton/Norton/Bridgewater(s) might be the sweet spot as far as nice towns that are central to both work spots. Rehoboth to Quincy would be rough, especially if it's Quincy Center or out near the water.

For reference, I just bought a YT Jeffsy 29er and I've been absolutely loving it at Blue Hills and Wompy. So much more fun than my old hardtail!

Good luck with the move.

mtbr member
    Plymouth and the endless miles of dirt bike trails can get loose and sandy, where plus wheels would be a real advantage. All the other (mostly) bicycle specific trails are doable and enjoyable on either platform.
    Freetown, Otis, massy, and the Moe in tiverton are my go to spots if Iím putting the bike on the rack and driving somewhere. Occasionally Iíll ride something in Plymouth, where I grew up, if I have arrangements with friends, but itís not part of my regular anymore.