• 11-28-2010
    guvna
    Moving to the north shore in January
    Hey guys, I am originally from Maine but have spent the last 12 years in Park City, Utah. My wife and I are moving to the Wenham Mass area and I am looking forward to road and mountain biking in New England. What's the potential of MTB ing in that area in January and February? Thanks for any info.
  • 11-28-2010
    woodyak
    Not to state the obvious but it all depends on the weather. We've had years were we rode every week all year round and other years where we've been hosed by too much snow. That being said I can't remember ever staying off the bike for more than 2 weeks. The normal pattern is heavy snow followed by a thaw followed by a freeze. This often equates to packed and/or icy trails, which means studded tires. You're more likely to get a ride in along the coast in Dogtown (Rockport/Gloucester) than you are more inland. If you're willing to drive an hour or so down to the Cape you'll be rewarded with dirt at Otis or Nickerson SP. Both spots are fun to ride and are bone dry most of the winter.

My crew is pretty hardy and we've done weekly night rides in some pretty deep snow just to get out of the house. Some years studs are required for most of the winter, other years the XC skis, snowshoes, and flasks come out instead, and other years we are bone dry and are riding on rock hard dirt. To increase your riding possibilities in the winter here you'll need a solid weatherproof lighting system, studded tires, and some solid cold winter clothing. Feel free to PM me when you get to town if you want more info on what's ride-able or if you want to hook in on one of our rides.

cheers!
  • 11-29-2010
    guvna
    WOW, thanks woodyak
    really appreciate all your info - lookin forward to some techy ridin
    what shop do you go to?
    what do you think of Pinnacle bike works?
  • 11-29-2010
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guvna
    WOW, thanks woodyak
    really appreciate all your info - lookin forward to some techy ridin
    what shop do you go to?
    what do you think of Pinnacle bike works?

I had never heard of Pinnacle until you mentioned it. I looked them up and they used to be in Hamilton and were known as Bay Road Bikes (which I have heard of). I've never used them before. I think they are more of a roadie shop than anything else. I use Centraal Cycles a lot as I'm friends with the owner. I can also recommend Seaside Cycles and Western Cycles as other quality shops in the area.
  • 01-14-2011
    gnar602
    Hey Guv- What part of Northshore did you move to? I'm originally from SLC but I've been out here a while now. I pretty much ride year round as long as conditions allow it. Generally I miss a few weekends each winter but for the most part you can ride fairly consistently all year here. When we get a big storm like this week I'll hit the slopes in VT, that's the plan this weekend. PM if you want to hookup for rides.
  • 01-18-2011
    guvna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gnar602
    Hey Guv- What part of Northshore did you move to? I'm originally from SLC but I've been out here a while now. I pretty much ride year round as long as conditions allow it. Generally I miss a few weekends each winter but for the most part you can ride fairly consistently all year here. When we get a big storm like this week I'll hit the slopes in VT, that's the plan this weekend. PM if you want to hookup for rides.

Moving to Danvers in a couple weeks, looking forward to year round riding - would love to hookup and ride. What part of the Northshore are you in?