Moving to Boston, places to live?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Moving to Boston, places to live?

I just got orders to move to Boston, and wanted to get some recommendations on places to live. I work down town, so keeping the commute in mind, and being within a reasonable distance to some trails, what are some good places to live. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    How long a commute is reasonable,and how heavily do you want to get bent-over on rent/morgage?I'd say outside rte 495 is good bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would like to keep it down to 30 to 45 min if possible, and we can swing a little of mortgage. Just curious to see if any communities have more access to trails.

Just a flesh wound

South Shore

I live on the South Shore, Cohasset, and the commuter train has a stop there (50 minute ride). We have Wompatuck state park with 40+ miles of trails. Near the ocean too. Lots of good places to live that are near trails. Wompatuck is in the towns of Cohasset, Hingham, Scituate and Norwell.

mtbr member
    unfortunately a 30-45 min commute will not get you too far out of the city and the cost of housing will not be cheap. As far as riding, you have plenty of options N, S, and W of Boston, but there's only a few (Middlesex Fells, Lynn Woods, Blue Hills - all good options) that are reasonable to hit after work in weekday traffic. Weekends you've got dozens of riding destinations within 90 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    natick/framingham
    Pros:more trails that are available. Easy access to pike, commuter rail will cut down commute to downtown.
    Cons: Natick framingham is def. not in boston.

South Shore:
    pros: great trails abound
    cons: nightmare commute if you drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well

there are 2 houses right down the street from me that are for sale. and Vietnam is in the backyard
    I'm Better known as Splat

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Ayer,Shirley,Leominster.All around 45 minutes via rt 2 or commuter rail.Lots of great riding no one talks too much about.If your into road riding you won't find better this close to Boston.

Brackish
    We're heading out there permanently in 11 months, looks like we are aiming for the Framingham area: seems like a good balance.

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J
    Ayer,Shirley,Leominster.All around 45 minutes via rt 2 or commuter rail.Lots of great riding no one talks too much about.If your into road riding you won't find better this close to Boston.
    That's awfully generous for a ride time from there. I live in Maynard, which is right inside 495 and I take 45 minutes to get to Medford via rt. 2, let alone anywhere inside Boston proper during the morning or evening commute. But then again, I don't go 80 mph on the highway.

Back to the question at hand, I'd say west-northwest of city, but inside 495 would be ideal. You get the big hitters, and many smaller ones. You get semi-access to the city as well.
    Won't be cheap though. You'll have to go west of Worcester for semi-affordable..but not too far west.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Only in Maynard.I suppose it depends on how early you head into town.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Beverly/Salem is a good spot, super local trails, proximity to Lynn Woods, convenient to Gloucester, Harold Parker, S. NH rides, ocean beaches and NH mountains. Convenient train access to Boston. It's a big housing market, lots of rentals if you want to test it out before buying. Don't live there myself, but it seems it might fit given what you are looking for.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Walpole, MA

I've just moved to Walpole, MA and I'm close to Foxboro,(10 min) Wrentham State Forest(10 min), some local trails in Walpole, Borderland (10 min).

Outside of these, I'm close enough to Vietnam (30 minutes), Ribbon Candy (35 min) that I can make a weekend early morning ride.

Cheaper taxes, commuter rail and some nice folks...including the prison folk, which is a slight drawback. 30 min commute to some parts of the city, 45 to downtown.

Good luck with your choice/move.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i would have to concur w/ beverly. Some incredible riding there...bruce and toms...beverly...lynn....g-spot. Plus the housing market is affordable and on the commuter rail. North Shore is where its at.

mtbr member
    GNR - what/where is Ribbon Candy?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J
    How long a commute is reasonable,and how heavily do you want to get bent-over on rent/morgage?I'd say outside rte 495 is good bang for the buck.

Anything outside of 495 would be a hell commute, period. Anyone who says differently has been living in metro Boston too long.

I Beverly is nice. Your commute during rush hour will be 35-45 minutes for sure. the school system there isn't as good as the surrounding areas, but it's also cheaper. Melrose isn't bad, alot closer to work and not far from Lynn woods. It'll have a much more urban feel though. Ont he plus side, you could take the T to work...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on what you can afford.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ribbon Candy

It is in Blackstone Valley, also called Plumbers Landing.

Its an area with some fun "engineered" single track on some flat land in the Blackstone Valley. Check the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...73c6ce13fb3256

I love it as a single speed area, and there are other trails on a nearby hill to link to which are fun as well. Let me know if you want to head out there some Saturday or Sunday morning, I'll show you what where I've ridden. GNR

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    It is in Blackstone Valley, also called Plumbers Landing.
    Blackstone Canal ( not Valley , the whole are is the Blackstone valley ) and Plumbers Crack is just the parking area at the One end, other end has Heritage Park , where you can get up wolf Hill or Goat Hill , then ther eis always Crossing through the sewage treatment plant to get over to the other side of 122, fun stuff over there .
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    I live in Sutton so of course I think that west of Boston is best. The Pike usually has the least amount of traffic of any of the other arteries. I started in Newton then moved to Natick, then Grafton, and now Sutton. Like was said earlier Natick/Framingham is a great area and is still close to the city. Although it can be tough to get out during rush hour. Grafton/Millbury/Sutton is less than an hour from Boston and is right in the middle of some great trail systems. Millbury has Rayburn and Singletary. Sutton has Sutton Water Works. Then 15 mins away will get you to Upton SF and Ribbon Candy. And within 30 mins you can get to Vietnam, Hodges, Whitehall, Troutbrook, Mt Pisgah, the Worcester Airport shuttle runs, Callahan, and Lincoln Woods. And just a little further is Bigelow, Leominster, Foxboro, and Boarderland. So within 30 mins of Millbury there is probably 200 miles of sweet single track.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 09-12-2008 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for everyone's input.

Members who have read this thread: 0