Moving to the Boston area, Where to Ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Moving to the Boston area, Where to Ride?

I'm moving to Newton, and I'm wondering where the best places to ride area?

I'm living in Nevada now, and I go to college in Atlanta, so I'm used to all kinds of riding and I have no problem driving around an hour to get to a trail, and I'll go farther if it's worth it.

I'll be in in Mass. for summers and winters and in Atlanta the rest of the year, at least for now. I don't know where I'll end up once I graduate.
    Matt

mtbr member
    For summers you go north to the Middlesex Fells, Vietnam, Harold Parker, Lynn Woods. For the winter you go down to the cape and ride Otis, Trail of Tears, Nickerson State park. If you want to travel further you'll be rewarded by trails in North Conway, NH. Kingdom Trails in E. Burke, VT. Millstone in Barre, VT. There's also gravity riding at Highland in Tilton, NH. Sunday River in ME, Diablo in NJ. Lots of riding options in Boston. Feel free to PM me if you want the inside line on things.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I only have a week left here before I go back to Atlanta, and I don't have a car that can easily carry bikes (I can one bike in, I think, but the seat doesn't fold down and I don't have a bike rack that fits). What's the best place to go if I can only ride once or twice?
    Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Vietnam

45 minutes West of Boston

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I made it out to Lynn Woods today, and it was alright. It was a lot more technical than I expected, and I had trouble in a few sections. It reminds me of Downieville, CA, but not downhill!

Towards the end of my ride I went OTB into a creek. I bruised up my sternum and left shin, and I got soaked, but besides that I'm OK.

Reading the Lynn Woods Guide thread reassured me that a couple weeks off hasn't turned me into a total noob, it's just the trails.

I would definitely go back there and keep exploring, but I think in the time I have I'll try something else if I get another chance to ride this week.
    Matt

Class Clown
    the Fells is nearby and a much easier ride (still some fun techy bits thrown in)

mtbr member
    If you're in Newton you can easily pedal over to Cutler Park in Newton/Needham. Nothing technical, but there's a few fun, fast loops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is a softer side of Lynn Woods-that doesn't get the press but it is, all the same, pretty excellent riding. the Lynn Woods section you rode is the hardest 'on the map' stuff around (not counting Bruce and Tom's etc)-so don't feel too bad.

Try to get to Harold Parker before you leave as it just may be the best trail system in Eastern, ma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I went to Harold Parker today. My ride was cut short when the pivot somehow fell out of my front brake lever and I couldn't find it. I rode back to the car using my multi tool in place of the pivot, but I took it easy not wanting to risk having it fall out when I needed the front brake. It wasn't so bad, because 10 minuted into my drive home it started raining, so at least I avoided getting wet.

I had printed out a map with trails color coded by difficulty, but I left it at home! The "most difficult" trails were a lot of fun, but quite challenging. The "intermediate" trails were too easy but more fun than riding on a road, at least. There were a lot of unmarked intersections that were confusing, and it would have been better if I had a map since some of them were numbered and shown on the map.

I would like to go back and explore the rest of the park some time, but that will have to wait until the fall at the earliest.

For anyone interested, the brakes are Hayes Stroker Ryde, and I was able to find replacement pins online. I don't know what might have caused it to come out since it is secured by little snap rings. Maybe it loosened up when I crashed at Lynn the other day? The weird thing is that I lost it on a completely smooth flat section of trail, not even something difficult. The brakes worked at a road crossing, then 1/4 mile later I suddenly had no front brake.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    For anyone interested, the brakes are Hayes Stroker Ryde, and I was able to find replacement pins online. I don't know what might have caused it to come out since it is secured by little snap rings. Maybe it loosened up when I crashed at Lynn the other day? The weird thing is that I lost it on a completely smooth flat section of trail, not even something difficult. The brakes worked at a road crossing, then 1/4 mile later I suddenly had no front brake.
    Funny, I rode Harold Parker with a front Stroker that had decided somewhere on the car ride over to blow a seal and lose all pressure. Good brakes when they're not broken.

HP is definitely confusing your first time out, but once you figure out how to link all the good stuff together, it's a lot of fun.