Motherfahhkin Ticks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Motherfahhkin Ticks

Another season, another tick bite. Rode friday at land lock and the next day noticed a tick on my thigh. Figured it was too early in the season for them to be a problem. I thought wrong. Wear your bug spray people! Every time! Now we wait.

mtbr member
    I ride the LLF a lot but mostly Cape Cod. Ticks get active once temps are over 40 but know of people picking up ticks year round. Yes. Use your spay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Careful out there, we don't just have deer ticks anymore, plenty of documented Lone Star ticks and my bosses wife can no longer eat meat because of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Seems like they're a more hearty breed nowadays. They don't die during winter, just become dormant. Lyme disease is becoming increasingly common in central MA. Be careful out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonez3113 View Post
    Another season, another tick bite. Rode friday at land lock and the next day noticed a tick on my thigh. Figured it was too early in the season for them to be a problem. I thought wrong. Wear your bug spray people! Every time! Now we wait.
    Daughter and I have both had a bite this year on Cape. Found multiple others
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    We have them in Scotland too, my son got bitten at a trail centre last year. He got a dose of aunties bionics and thankfully nothing came of it. I've bought a LOT of bug spray now. Probably worse for you than the ticks!

@njcshreds
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been going to LLF a lot early on. I never really thought about bug spray.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    I used this https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/ while hiking on the AT and it seemed to work well. Supposed to last several washes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride at Willowdale and got a tick couple years back.. really scary! The rash was ugly and itched (even after for along time ) even though the doc said probably no lyme it wasn't a sure thing and he gave me the med cycle.

Did my research after, so I can be better prepared and am now using the Sawyer's Permethrin on shoes, socks, and shorts..especially the first two! .anything below the waist where the highest chance of picking up a tick is. I do my tech fabric shirts too during height of tick season. Permethrin is desirable because it kills them when they crawl up on it in less than a minute usually and the regular insect sprays only attempt to repel them and not always succeed.

What I found out is they are active at temps above freezing and I actually got it in early november after a few hard freezes the night before so I wasn't using the bug spray. As I read the thread I took a break, went down to the garage and resprayed my shoes and socks ! Not to procrastinate and then go riding ...not taking chances anymore ! They not only suck, they are damn right dangerous ! AND ALWAYS check yourself well ...I had but as I ran my hands over my shuins I remember feeling it and discounting it as a scab from having caught my flat pedals on my shins that day (didn't have the glasses on too ) and I was very wrong, could have got it off me a lot easier had I just taken the time to inspect and not assume it was from my pedal. Just my experience, hope it can help someone to remember.