• 07-01-2015
    BerkBill
    Are more roadies converting?
    I am an ex roadie that converted to MTB slowly over the past 4 years. This year I am 95% MTB. You know the reasons - more interesting rides, technical challenge and fun learning something new, less chance of getting hit by a tractor trailer, awesome workout in less time, and lets face it - its more fun and cooler.

Tonight I saw a group ride heading out - 8 - 10 people and they had all the makings of roadies making the conversion but not quite there (lots of colorful lycra, water bottles, etc. ) but I could see it coming. They already had the bikes.

So the question is is the growth in MTB stronger than road and are more roadies converting to MTB vs. the other way around. Just curious about others thoughts.
  • 07-01-2015
    targnik
    Welcome (finally) to the fold ^^

I'm sure there are a few roadies that dabble in mtb'ing...

There are likely the odd mtb'ers that dabble in road riding (doubt there's as many though, like you said cool factor).

I can say w/ 99.9% certainty that I will never ride a road bike ;-)

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
  • 07-01-2015
    newmarketrog
    hey OP, 1995's on the phone, you might wanna answer it.:)

and please let yer leg hair grow back. shaving legs is a chick thing.
  • 07-01-2015
    Brisk Eddie
    Sold my Cervelo and bought a Stumpjumper.
    No time to do both, and the woods are much more fun. And no F'n cars to dodge.
  • 07-01-2015
    Nubster
    More road here than trails. Reason why...I can't access a trail out of my backdoor. In fact, I can't access one within an hour of my house. So loading up and driving an hour, unloading and hitting the trail really eats into the very small amount of time I have to ride these days. I'm tied up nearly 3 hours just getting to and fro. That doesn't even include the time on the bike. In just my travel time, I can cover 30+ miles and 3,000+ feet on the road leaving right from my driveway. So for me, the road isn't a preference as much as it's a necessary evil.

Personally, I don't know any roadies that converted to mountain bike. I know several mountain bikers that converted to road.
  • 07-01-2015
    targnik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I know several mountain bikers that converted to road.

So... both groups got smarter?

;-p

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
  • 07-01-2015
    Cayenne_Pepa
    MTB till I drop....
    I did serious road, for five years. After being mowed-down by two separate, lady drivers and surviving.....it was time to return fulltime to MTB. I did not like 55mph descents, overheating my rims and crashing, due to exploding tubes at 45+mph. Nor did I like the monotony of "road hypnosis" while chugging out metric centuries and constant flatting, 30+ miles away from home. MTB is pure, high-intensity intervals....whether you like it or not. Being a former meth addict - MTB fixes my heart, each time I throw a leg over the top tube. I like the humble, snob-free culture, laid-back attitude and "nature" aspect of MTB.....period.
  • 07-02-2015
    BerkBill
    OK just for the record I never shaved my legs.
  • 07-02-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BerkBill View Post
    OK just for the record I never shaved my legs.

Yay!!!!!:)
  • 07-02-2015
    redwarrior
    I don't know any that have but know many more people that (still) do both. That said, my road bike wears 44C Bruce Gordon Rock n Road tires & handles everything from non tech singletrack to pavement. When I want to ride from my door, I hop on that bike & can rack up all kinds of (s)miles on dirt roads, singletrack, old jeep roads & pavement connecting the dots.
  • 07-02-2015
    leeboh
    No road rides per se, but plenty of commuting miles. Best commutes involve 8 miles of dirt out of 20 total miles. Great to have 15 miles of singletrack at the end of my street. Many serious riders do cross, mt and road. Maybe roadies finally figured out that pave is boring and doesn't take much skill. Woods and dirt are so much better.
  • 07-02-2015
    Pauldotcom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I like the humble, snob-free culture, laid-back attitude and "nature" aspect of MTB.....period.

Funny, because there is a lot of this MTB riding as well as road (snob); especially with these $8000 fancy bikes..

Anyhow, I'm a rider, said I would NEVER ride road EVER - and now I road ride also. I ride on the road 1-2x per month; usually when trails are wet (like today) or covered in fresh snow (fat bike when they are packed down).

I don't know many roadies changing to MTB; I see more MTB guys switch over to the road as they get older. Trails here in New England tend to be rocky and rough for the most part. Some also ride road in the summer and MTB spring/fall. But heck with the labels, we are all riders. I can't stand the labels.

Regardless, it's all riding, and its all cool. I don't care who says what about what your wearing, what your riding, or what you look like. If you have fun doing what you do, then it's cool; screw the rest.

Ride.
  • 07-02-2015
    Scott O
    I bought a steel road bike 10+ years ago to train for mtb racing on. Enjoyed it more than I thought but mtb is still the main thing. This year I picked up a used carbon road bike and I'm amazed at the responsiveness and the vibration damping which is actually better than my steel bike. Makes the road that much more fun (and comfortable). MTb'ing is about as much legal fun as you can have but there's something to be said for hitting the road out your back door and whizzing along silently at 20mph on your road bike vs having to pack up your car, deal with technical issues, wait for your buddies to show up on time, etc.
  • 07-02-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I bought a steel road bike 10+ years ago to train for mtb racing on. Enjoyed it more than I thought but mtb is still the main thing. This year I picked up a used carbon road bike and I'm amazed at the responsiveness and the vibration damping which is actually better than my steel bike. Makes the road that much more fun (and comfortable). MTb'ing is about as much legal fun as you can have but there's something to be said for hitting the road out your back door and whizzing along silently at 20mph on your road bike vs having to pack up your car, deal with technical issues, wait for your buddies to show up on time, etc.

having to pack up yer car to go ride mtb is poor planning, imo. if yer a mtb'r you buy a house or reside where you can ride trail from your house or ride a reasonable distance on road to get to trail.

road bike? commuting ftw. my commute is 25 miles round trip and i love it. pedal for purpose. you gotta get to work anyway, might as well turn it into a good workout.
  • 07-02-2015
    Nubster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    having to pack up yer car to go ride mtb is poor planning, imo. if yer a mtb'r you buy a house or reside where you can ride trail from your house or ride a reasonable distance on road to get to trail.

Yeah, because it's just that easy. What if you bought a house then started riding? What if the area that has the trails doesn't have the jobs? Some people just aren't lucky enough to have miles of trails in their backyard and a job up the street and have to pack up the car and drive to ride. Sucks but that's reality.
  • 07-02-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Yeah, because it's just that easy. What if you bought a house then started riding? What if the area that has the trails doesn't have the jobs? Some people just aren't lucky enough to have miles of trails in their backyard and a job up the street and have to pack up the car and drive to ride. Sucks but that's reality.

not buying it.
  • 07-02-2015
    dang
    I bet almost all serious racers have a mtb. I have been fortunate to have been on some mtb winter group rides with some of fastest road racers in New England and they all seemed to ride mtb, at least during off season. I encountered some of the fastest road/cyclocross racers of the USA last winter (xmas time)at Trail of Tears.

I ride 60/40 mtb/ road but I would have a problem if I had to put my mtb in the car to ride the trails. I was staying in the Framingham area and I don't think there were good trails in area so I was I riding the road around sudbury wayland lincoln etc in darkness of October. that would get old day after day
  • 07-02-2015
    Nubster
    Quote:

not buying it.

Like I give a shit.
  • 07-02-2015
    thickfog
    Quote:

Exactly. Hey, I'd love to buy a house near trails. I bought one before biking and it's worth shit to sell yet. Also..... jobs, jobs, jobs. Nowhere near trails.

And what trails would I purchase a hose near? Another short sighted decision. Maybe I'll be sick of the ones I'm near and then wish I bought another house next to x trails.

Nope. For me at least a 25 min drive and that's a short, small and easy trail system.

The realities of life.
  • 07-02-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Exactly. Hey, I'd love to buy a house near trails. I bought one before biking and it's worth shit to sell yet. Also..... jobs, jobs, jobs. Nowhere near trails.

And what trails would I purchase a hose near? Another short sighted decision. Maybe I'll be sick of the ones I'm near and then wish I bought another house next to x trails.

Nope. For me at least a 25 min drive and that's a short, small and easy trail system.

The realities of life.

Realities of life my a$$. If mtb riding and being near trails/wilderness is a priority you make it so. Any way you have to.
  • 07-02-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I bet almost all serious racers have a mtb. I have been fortunate to have been on some mtb winter group rides with some of fastest road racers in New England and they all seemed to ride mtb, at least during off season. I encountered some of the fastest road/cyclocross racers of the USA last winter (xmas time)at Trail of Tears.

I ride 60/40 mtb/ road but I would have a problem if I had to put my mtb in the car to ride the trails. I was staying in the Framingham area and I don't think there were good trails in area so I was I riding the road around sudbury wayland lincoln etc in darkness of October. that would get old day after day

You got it pretty good down there, dan. So much singletrack in every direction from town. I'm 6 miles via trail from aggy now, where we rode with that big group in 08'. Techy goodness. Dozens of miles of it. Year round fun. No driving. Carz r coffinz.
  • 07-03-2015
    Scott O
    Quote:

road bike? commuting ftw. my commute is 25 miles round trip and i love it. pedal for purpose. you gotta get to work anyway, might as well turn it into a good workout.

You accusing me of poor planning of my life/mtb'ing life, rog? I'm not getting dragged into one of your interwebz arguments. Thats fir the VT forum.. And besides, I just finished 20 miles of North Conway's finest and I'm too tired to fight.
  • 07-03-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    You accusing me of poor planning of my life/mtb'ing life, rog? I'm not getting dragged into one of your interwebz arguments. Thats fir the VT forum.. And besides, I just finished 20 miles of North Conway's finest and I'm too tired to fight.

no wasn't accusing you of anything. 20 miles of n-con=yummy:)
  • 07-03-2015
    Pauldotcom
    Quote:

#thisguyisadouche
  • 07-03-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    #thisguyisadouche

ooh the hashtag! lol, how you livin paul?:D
  • 07-06-2015
    leeboh
    Umm, priorities aside, there is great mt biking around metro Boston and beyond. I'm north of Boston and have 50 + miles of trails that I can pedal from my house.
  • 07-08-2015
    Fitch
    Yes, Newmarketrog lives in a very ideal internet bubble... can be helpful, but best to not engage.

ANYWHO, I rode with a cat last night as part of a group ride who was on his 2nd MTB ride after selling his road bike, and he loved it. He spoke to the OP's points - variety of terrain, challenge, and safety.

The "safety" part caught me off guard, as I always viewed MTBing as more dangerous, but I suppose that's true: I may fall every other ride, but those falls aren't into traffic. I'm not getting hit by a car, I'm not wiping out on asphalt at 30+mph... interesting view point.

There's room in life for more than one thing, and though I'm 100% MTB, I wouldn't be adverse to owning a road bike and getting in some extra miles here and there in my own way and location.

Just ride bikes.
  • 07-08-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Yes, Newmarketrog lives in a very ideal internet bubble... can be helpful, but best to not engage.

ANYWHO, I rode with a cat last night as part of a group ride who was on his 2nd MTB ride after selling his road bike, and he loved it. He spoke to the OP's points - variety of terrain, challenge, and safety.

The "safety" part caught me off guard, as I always viewed MTBing as more dangerous, but I suppose that's true: I may fall every other ride, but those falls aren't into traffic. I'm not getting hit by a car, I'm not wiping out on asphalt at 30+mph... interesting view point.

There's room in life for more than one thing, and though I'm 100% MTB, I wouldn't be adverse to owning a road bike and getting in some extra miles here and there in my own way and location.

Just ride bikes.

no i live how i want 100% and get after it.

no complaints here ever, smartguy.
  • 07-08-2015
    noreasterbackcountry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I'm north of Boston and have 50 + miles of trails that I can pedal from my house.

I'm just West of Boston and I can ride quality singletrack starting about 1/4 mile from my door. There's well over 100+ miles of trails through Arlington, Lexington, Burlington, Bedford, Carlisle, Concord, Acton, Sudbury, Waltham, Watertown, Medford, Belmont, Newton and Weston that I know about- and I'm discovering new stuff every week.

I used to drive to the trails. Not anymore. I spend that time in the saddle- on the trails now.
  • 07-08-2015
    slapheadmofo
    Quote:

no i live how i want 100% and get after it. .

Definitely 100% something.
  • 07-21-2015
    trainnvain
    Huh. The only reason I was perusing through the Mass forums was because a certain someone had infiltrated every thread in the VT forum.
    So much for that.
    If I have an hour or so, I'll always just ride my commuter right out the door. I have trails 15 mins away by road, but pedaling is pedaling, and road time is good thought time. Enjoy both.
  • 07-21-2015
    thecanoe
    As I get older (66) my group and I have migrated more towards mtbing. Maybe we've seen too many roadies killed. Maybe it's the more laid back style of mtb'rs. I live on Cape Cod in summer with tons of trails and don't mind driving to some. I live in Burlington in winter and lots out the door. Now a life change is moving me to Reading. I'll have to explore that area for some close trails. Ride what you like. ........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 07-21-2015
    b-kul
    whats wrong with doing both?
  • 07-22-2015
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    whats wrong with doing both?

Exactly. Just about everyone I ride with is into both.

I find the road better for fitness training, but I admit I did blow off last night's road ride to go into the woods.