Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Moab

Hi All. Heading out to ride the Whole Enchilada in a month and was wondering if anyone could give a comparison? Trying to gauge my fitness level for this ride. I frequent Harold Parker, Lynn woods, and highland. Some times will make it to greenwood and school st. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Are you planning on shuttling as far as you can? Climbing up the road to the start adds another dimension to the ride and I think doing that plus the true Whole Enchilada would require incredible fitness. When we were there in May we rode from the Slickrock Trail parking lot (near the bottom) to the start of UPS. Stuff above that was still closed due to snow so we only got ~half the Enchilada but with the 13mi climb up it made for plenty.

From the top of UPS the ride is mostly downhill. There are some crux sections but it's all ridable. It's more a whole body workout especially on the doubletrack sections that are far from smooth. Lots of suspension really helps on this trail!

I can't speak for the upper part of the WE as I've never been up there. I know there's some climbing in the beginning, and I also don't think you can shuttle all the way to the start but I might be wrong there.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race Sunday August 27, 2017!

mtbr member
    The Burro Pass shuttle drops you at 10,500 feet, you'll descend to 10,300 and then climb another 900 feet to the saddle. The downhill from there has steep switch backs with loose scree, eroded roots and several stream crossings. You'll be gassed on the climb and challenged on the down. longer travel bikes will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dirtyjack; 08-28-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Wow. 10,000 feet elevation is serious for a flatlander like me ... No way I could climb another 900.
    OP, do you have experience at that elevation? I'd have to acclimatize for a week, or just get up and
    down quickly.

EC3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Its an hour shuttle from Chile Peppers to Burro. Can't imagine riding that ascent but people do. Do the Coyote Shuttle.
    If you ride HP and Lynn you'll be fine. The 900 feet up from the lot is a gut buster but its over in less than 30 min. After that its all down hill and its so fun. Don't miss the Jimmy Keene trail after Hazard County. Have a blast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Its not nearly as technical as HP and Lynn but its a different technical. Its steep and loose with a lot of exposure and a strong wind up top. We shuttled up to Hazzard (I believe? 5 years ago), it was 130 degrees in Moab and snowing up there when we got dropped off. Just the downhill is a lot for most people, it was something like 26mi down and back to town. My 2 pro friends did ride up early and met us at the top (we nearly froze to death waiting for them) and rode down, they did close to 50mi that day but are beast riders.

If you like that make sure you ride Jackson's trail and slickrock too, lots of fun!

-Nolan