middlesex fells- Mtbr.com

Thread: middlesex fells

Parking Lot Poser

New question here. middlesex fells

i see there is a nemba ride at the fells on 5-7-16. never been there and not familiar with the trail system, so i'm wondering what the place has to offer.

i've ridden lynn woods, nam, batchelor street/earls, so i'm pretty much up for anything. i should preface that by saying i ride with my wheels mostly on the ground on a 130mm travel bike

thanks in advance

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's a nice event, GBNEMBA does a good job arrowing the trails and the difficulty rating seems correct. I have ridden it a couple of times. Typical New England single track. Definitely worth attending at least once. I went for the first time a couple of years ago and have been back every year since.

Parking Lot Poser
    i haven't been to one of the adventure series rides in a few years, but i recall them being a lot of fun. i'm gonna try and get the day off and get a crew to make the trek. looks like 1.5 hours from where i am in CT.

thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    i see there is a nemba ride at the fells on 5-7-16. never been there and not familiar with the trail system, so i'm wondering what the place has to offer.

i've ridden lynn woods, nam, batchelor street/earls, so i'm pretty much up for anything. i should preface that by saying i ride with my wheels mostly on the ground on a 130mm travel bike

thanks in advance
    In the spring/summer/fall I ride there during the weekdays at least once a week. It's the closest decent singletrack to downtown Boston. I like it more than blue hills.

Its fun. I would say nam > fells. Not as technical as lynn but it has some good spots. I usually travel to other spots on weekends (namely willowdale, nam and locales in NH/VT). For me, the fells is a great set of trails for mid-week riding. Gives a good workout and there are many short and sweet ups-and-downs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can pedal there from my house by connecting a few trail systems. Plenty of climbing and rocks, connecting double track as well. The orange loop has some good, chunky tech rock areas. I like it. Did I say rocks? Arrowed loops, led rides, burgers after, supporting a great cause, IN.

mtbr member

Upset

Rode 15 there today, met Bambi here near the old Army camp. middlesex fells-image.jpg

Parking Lot Poser
    Got clearance to take the day off, so I will be there.

Thanks guys, see you there

Class Clown
    The Fells is great, you've ridden harder but there's plenty of trails with some hidden spots. Will probably be busy with hikers and dogs if it's a nice saturday though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's worth going to support GBNEMBA.

One thing with the Fells is that a biking population there is a major victory for what NEMBA sets out to do - keep MTBs allowed on trails and help with maintaining a positive image. There's been plenty of politics to kick bikes OUT of the Fells, so by keeping up some use, it's a win for the overall biking community. I won't claim "it's a great place to ride" but it IS the best thing close to Boston for many people, and the GBNEMBA event is a really good time.
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the Fells has some good trails to offer. Just be aware it is quite crowded on the weekends so parking and trails can get congested.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anybody know if there will be demo bikes available at the Kona ride? Looks like a few local shops will be in attendance.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Here is a video of the current conditions in the Fells. The conditions are very good, very dry.

https://twitter.com/Garrywaldeck/sta...98250652172289

If you like the video please follow to see more.

EDIT above video expired, it's going to rain today so those conditions won't be up to date anyway.
    Last edited by Notaskitrail; 05-01-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Parking Lot Poser
    Any thoughts on trail conditions??

I'm in the Hartford CT area and it has been raining intermittently most of the week. Looks like more rain tmrw then possible showers over the weekend.

How does the fells drain, or does it hold water??

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's been raining all week up here (North Eastern MA), too. Driving me nuts.

Never ridden the fells, but I can tell you it's wet.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rainfall amounts in the Boston area for the week were less than an inch and we needed the rain, so it should soak in fairly rapidly. Partly sunny today and no rain. I don't ride the Fells often, so don't know how well it drains. The few times I have ridden there it seems to be drier terrain for the most part.

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Rainfall amounts in the Boston area for the week were less than an inch and we needed the rain, so it should soak in fairly rapidly. Partly sunny today and no rain. I don't ride the Fells often, so don't know how well it drains. The few times I have ridden there it seems to be drier terrain for the most part.
    That's good info, looking to me like there shouldn't be any major rain up there between now and tmrw afternoon.

I'm going for it!!

Parking Lot Poser
    Nice event, and pretty decent conditions despite the wet week we had. Trails were slick, but our small group managed to stay upright throughout our tour off the fells.

Big Thanks to GB Nemba for hosting and all of those who contributed to making this a great event!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What is nam?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ Milford, MA trail system, owned by NEMBA. Check out our site, places to ride. Lots O options. Nam has plenty of areas to get some air under your tires, if needed.

Class Clown
    The Fells drains fine except for the lower/shadier areas which can be avoided. Usually if it rains the day before I won't go the next day unless it's warmer days. As long as you are not riding through mud and putting ruts everywhere it's fine.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm a really really beginner rider, I've done the Fells on foot with my dogs on the orange trail and there is no way I would bike that! Is there any bike option there that is basically flat dirt road? I got my first mtb about a month ago for commuting and I have been on a trail once, and I'm not a good rider to start with, so we are talking REALLY basic here. Thanks!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I only ride the Fells once a year (the May NEMBA ride) so can't help you with easy trails at the Fells, but you may want to check this out:
    GBNEMBA Beginner/Novice Ride | NEMBA

mtbr member
    The Medford side of South Border Rd. Has easier double track trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just rode Fells for the first time yesterday, it was a pretty good time! I have only really ridden Russel Mill and Harold Parker before but I was just saying to my buddy last week that I wanted to find some more fast paced trails where we could open it up and get some speed going. My other friend who I was with said there was a lot we didn't cover but there was a section along the side of the golf course that was a blast, bombing down those hills and flying around some of the turns was awesome! Will definitely be going back there at some point and check out some further climbs up the mountain/hill/whatever that is considered.

mtbr member
    Sounds like Lynn Woods maybe? There's no golf course near the Middlesex Fells.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Not sure, it was in woburn next to a big pond. I thought he called it fells but I honestly wouldn't know the difference.

mtbr member
    Horn Pond, Woburn.
    I'm an easy going rider- i find the Fells has something for all riders.
    Good luck,

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyanne View Post
    I'm a really really beginner rider, I've done the Fells on foot with my dogs on the orange trail and there is no way I would bike that! Is there any bike option there that is basically flat dirt road? I got my first mtb about a month ago for commuting and I have been on a trail once, and I'm not a good rider to start with, so we are talking REALLY basic here. Thanks!
    Do the mountain bike loop. That's mostly doubletrack and the easiest loop. You may need to get off the bike here or there but this is a good start.

Class Clown
    there are dirt roads that cut through the fells so you could definitely ride those.

mtbr member
    The mountain bike loop is about 80% double track, but there is a good 20% that is single track. This is not all that difficult for an advanced rider but any beginner won't like that 20% of the ride. Like said you can walk here and there or double back if you find something you like.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    there are dirt roads that cut through the fells so you could definitely ride those.
    I checked out some of the dirt roads that I think they consider fire roads, around Rams Head Road below South Border road (a car road)... definitely can't handle all of those, it's about 50/50. If that helps for the scale of how beginner 'm looking for. Thanks!

Class Clown
    If you start out north of s. Border road, there is a dirt road that runs from the water plant or whetever it is all the way up to the north fells (bear hill rd). There is another road that run across the middle as well. Sometimes trucks/firetrucks use these roads so should be able to bike them, but it's easy enough to get off track

mtbr member
    Here is a periscope of the current conditions in the fells. Saturday morning May 21. Video is mostly orange trail.and the orange trail is in great shape. the below video will disappear after 24 hours but so will the current conditions with the rain expected tonight.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/ag8hSDIyO...dXNgPaWQwCW1IU