Mid April Mtn Bike Destination?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Mid April Mtn Bike Destination?

Late last winter, my son and I went to Kingdom Trails for a few days, overnighter. Had a great time so I thought we'd go back this spring. I started making plans to go up mid April only to find out they won't be open.

As opposed to aborting the trip, I've decided to look for somewhere else to go. The problem is, I have no idea where to go. Being the third week of April and wanting to avoid snow/really cold weather, I'm thinking we probably want to go south or maybe west.

So, I'm hoping I can get a few recommendations here.

We're looking to go the third week of April for four days and three nights. It needs to be somewhere that's approximately within five hours of central Mass/Worcester. No camping on this trip so we'll need a hotel/motel/inn/B&B. And finally, the trails should be varied, nothing too easy or too hard; no downhill parks.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still winter here in MA. Then mud season usually. Drive a full day south? Thinking you are right at the road bike season. Not much help I know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Raystown Lake, PA?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I rode in Douglas State Forest over Easter weekend for a couple of hours (it's right near the in-law's) and it's definitely in ride-able condition. It was my first time there and I was time limited so I barely scratched the surface, but definitely worth your time to look into. I got into Douglas via the Air Line Trail which is less of an MTB trail, more of a bicycle dirt highway. Off of the Air Line there are lots of singletrack loops to jump off of and explore. If you'd like to spend less time driving and more time riding, give this place a shot. About 40 from either Worcester or Providence. Good luck.
    Last edited by loudbeard; 04-13-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    OP, there is a lot of stuff ready to ride in Northeastern MA and Southern NH now. I'm sure most of it will still be good by the 3rd week of this month. Lynn Woods will be open by then and there's other places along RT128 that's riding well now. Harold Parker is good to go. Still some trees down but nothing worth avoid the place for. I haven't been yet but reports on Willowdale are good. For Rock, Stratham Hill, and the Musquash in southern NH are riding OK too. Some wet spots but nothing crazy. Bear Brook is also coming together. Probably not 100% dry yet but I've heard it's close and being ridden already. None of these places aren't worth 4 days of riding but they're close enough so you can link them with minimal driving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cape Cod. . Trails are dry and mostly cleaned up from the March Noreasters. Lots of choices all over the Cape...for discussion and maps Google NEMBA/Cape Cod Chapter and check Cape Cod NEMBA group Facebook page. Weekly led rides by NEMBA and local bike shops. Plenty of lodging and restaurants on RT. 28 in Hyannis and West Yarmouth.

mtbr member
    Agree on the Cape. I rode EX 7 Yarmouth yesterday. Just a few trees down. Rode the Landlocked Forest in Butlington today and it was near perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    The Cape is a winter destination for dirt when everything else is “challenged”. So nh, So maine and northern mass have been good for a couple weeks+ now.

Tons of options.

mogul
    May 2010
    Vietnam trails in milford is most likely rideable, and there are loads of trails in that little network! i highly reccomend that.

mtbr member
    So where did you end up going?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all the suggestions. And sorry for not getting back sooner. Sometimes, life just gets in the way.

While all the MA suggestions are solid places to ride, we were looking to get away for half a week. We ended up going to Allegrippis Trails in Huntingdon, PA on Raystown Lake.

Amazing place to ride. Thirty five miles of trails developed by the Army Corps of Engineers, it reminded me of a fast Kingdom Trails. Graded green, blue and black and very well marked. Very non technical; I think I saw four rocks in three days of riding. The grading had more to do with vertical, distance to the trail and the length of the trail.

Granted it was early in the season but we saw only three people there; two in the parking lot putting their bikes away and one person hiking.

While it took us twice as long to get there, I'm glad we went. Will probably go back if not every year, at least every other.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Good god that's a loooooong drive for what raystown offers. Which is about the most redundant riding anywhere. Next time listen to us please lol. Heck if you were driving all the way to raystown you shoulda just drove to blue knob and laurel highlands to ride. Way more riding and way more interesting. Glad you liked raystown tho. Great place for a hybrid bike.😂