Metrowest gravel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Metrowest gravel?

Just moved to Medfield from LA. Lookin for some gravel/dirt roads, drop bar friendly single track, rail trail, path, etc in the area. Bonus for any hills. I would typically target about 2-3hrs, 30 miles 3k ft on gravel ride dunno what that would look like around here.

I rode my mtb all over noon hill and Shattuck last weekend, it was chill. Plenty of info found on mtb spots already, so thanks! I'll need to get over to Vietnam soon for sure.

Any weekend group mtb rides out this way?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Check out the various NEMBA chapter pages on Facebook for group ride info (and join NEMBA!). And welcome to the area!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hit the ride headquarters in Sherborne's Mix terrain rides. There is no real... "gravel" around here ..... welcome to east coast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Search user “busted spokes” on RidewithGPS and there are a bunch of Railtrail and CX rides. Maybe not metrowest, but easily accessible to MBTA or auto.

I live in the north shore and ride these from time to time on CX bike with drops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    Hit the ride headquarters in Sherborne's Mix terrain rides. There is no real... "gravel" around here ..... welcome to east coast!
    Lots of gravel and dirt roads everywhere. Just need to seek them out. Check out map my ride, ride with gps and open street. As well as rails to trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks. I ended up at ride hq to chat and then some road miles. They gave me some gpx files for mixed terrain as well. Nice shop!

Railstotrails showing the Upper Charles at Sherborn / Holliston, looks decent. Probably more like a 60 mile loop for me if I did all 13 there 2 ways... Maybe I'll step it up. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I lived in Boston for 11 years and don't recall every seeing a dirt road but you'll find plenty of rail trail/bike paths in the metro area. Also, don't expect to get anything near 3k of vert. around metro Boston either.

North Central MA and Southern NH will have way more options for gravel roads and will offer a bit more vert.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I managed 1200 ft over 25 miles. Not terrible. Just nothing steep like a canyon rd.

There's a dirt road through noon hill res, that's "gravel" enough to me

mtbr member
    Hey Fuzzy,

I live in Medfield, please check your pm box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There is the Snet that runs through Douglas state forest. You can get on it in Uxbridge and ride all the way to Connecticut. Can do around 40 miles or more out and back. If you include all the gravel roads in the forest it would add another 20miles probably. The Snet is flat but you can get some climbing on the fire roads inside the forest. Lost of gravel grinding in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks everyone.

SNETT looks great though some questions online about what exactly happens b/w Franklin State Forest and Douglas. Have you ridden the full out and back?

I have found some bits and pieces around Medfield/Sherborn and Rocky Woods. Guessing further into western and Central mass would yield longer, unbroken sections or b-road/fire road/ gravel whatever you want to call it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyd01 View Post
    Search user “busted spokes” on RidewithGPS and there are a bunch of Railtrail and CX rides. Maybe not metrowest, but easily accessible to MBTA or auto.

I live in the north shore and ride these from time to time on CX bike with drops.
    Are you Busted Spokes? I've followed some of the routes before.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Metrowest gravel?

Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    Are you Busted Spokes? I've followed some of the routes before.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    No, not me, but I’ve ridden with him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

SNETT looks great though some questions online about what exactly happens b/w Franklin State Forest and Douglas. Have you ridden the full out and back?

I have found some bits and pieces around Medfield/Sherborn and Rocky Woods. Guessing further into western and Central mass would yield longer, unbroken sections or b-road/fire road/ gravel whatever you want to call it.

Mostly paved road between the two. The best bet is to get on in Uxbridge and ride through Douglas out to Ct. Lots of fire road in Douglas State Forest that can be combined.