Metacomet trail - westfield to CT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Metacomet trail - westfield to CT

I ride the Provin Mt section of the Metacomet trail from Robinson to rt 157 all the time as the trail is a 2 minute ride out of my drive way. I know that the trail goes for miles into CT and I also knew where is intersects with Rising Corner Rd in Southwick, I just didn't know how to get from rt 157 to Rising Corner. So a couple of weeks ago I had my wife drop me off at Rising Corner with my bike and I rode the trail back to my house on the Westfield / Agawam line. I lost track of the trail markers a couple of times and got lost. I eventually found a marked trail went through the Agawam Bowmens club.

Does the Metacomet go through the Bowmens club? It was a bit nearve racking flying down a trail to see a bunch of people drawing bows off in the distance.

My next questions is riding south from Westfield towards Southwick once you get to Rising coner Rd where do you pick up the trail to continue heading south into CT? A couple of miles down the road on rt 168 / mountain rd there is a trail head at an intersection about halfway up the mountain with a sign that reads something like 'Wild Life refuge'. Is that where the Metacmet picks up?

Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    yeah the trail goes through the bowmens club. I don't know how to get back on to it after rising corner (going south from westfield) cause I've never tried to go into CT on it. I've heard directions on where to go several times, but never followed through with it and hence have forgotten where I was told to go.

Pretty sure Brian, Seth, and TheHare (on here) know how to do it.

Steam Donkey
    You have to ride about a half mile of road, down to the turf farm. You poke back in
    about 100 yards south of (and across from) the turf farm building. Not too straight forward, nor is the trail well used, but you want to aim to get up on the ridge. The trail is usually cleaned up once a year in the early fall, just prior to 'the epic'. Happy to show you anytime.
    Bowman's club: The actual MM goes right through and on the edge of their property. Found a new way around the arrows this past weekend, on the West side of the ridge. Keeps you out of harms way a bunch more. Comes out on 57 in the little field where the house was removed from a couple years ago (across from the entrance to the golf driving range).
    LMK if you want a guide. I will probably go that way this weekend and could pick you up on top of Provin... Found more brand new MX trails on the section between 57 and rising corner and was going to go explore them.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHare
    LMK if you want a guide. I will probably go that way this weekend and could pick you up on top of Provin... Found more brand new MX trails on the section between 57 and rising corner and was going to go explore them.
    Do you have a day and time in mind?

Steam Donkey
    Early either morning. PM sent.

Let me know if anybody else is interested and when Tim gets back to me, we can post specifics.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0