Massasoit State Park Taunton...What trails are best??- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Massasoit State Park Taunton...What trails are best??

Hey all, a few of us have found that locally Massasoit has become one of the nicest and cleanest places to ride. We are still kind of new to the place though. I've been there about 4 times and finally figured out the nice 5-6 mile blue trail that starts off the left side from the main parking area over that little bridge. Is there another good loop other than that one thats marked? I realize there is some trails off of that blue trail as we've gotten misplaced a few times...lol. We've never taken the road around the park to see if any others exist though??

DeForest Stump
    There are trails on the right side of the road too. It's been a long time, but I used to start at the dirt parking area overlooking the pond just before you turn right to enter the park. Go down toward the pond heading toward the entrance to pick it up. It runs roughly around the edge of the pond until you get to the beach area where the pavilion is. Also go to where the main paved road ends and there's a gate. Past the gate a little ways the trail continues around the pond. I think you can ride until you get to a dam, then turn back. You may have to cut thru some of the camping spots to hit all the trails, but since it's the off season that's okay.
    Last edited by Cobretti; 11-05-2007 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey

just saw this thread-i ride massoit all the time. i prefer the cape but for something in the am b/4 work or if there's no place around (like this sunday) it;s not half-bad. i live 10 min. away so it's the closet place for me. did almost 13 mi. today & only maybe 1/4rd of a mile was backtracking on previously riden trails. there's some double track, some fireroad & some (very little) paved roads to ride to get to different trails but it can be a good workout. it's a small place so it's kinda imposible to get lost but i've been in it so much for so many years i may be jaded. anyway, its not bad overall, good for a night ride. hope to see you in there someday.

Aug 2007
    We go all the time actually. I just have begun to learn the better part of the blue loop which is marked out starting on the left over the bridge. probelm is we go about 5 miles and we are right back to the beginning. A few times we've got to the back where it's all sandy. I think we need ot explore back there more. Need to learn a good 10 mile loop

Aug 2007
    Just figured I'd drop a line to let everyone know we went to Massasoit on Saturday and the conditions were awesome! Our bikes didnt even get dirty. Best place to ride in the area right now I believe! See ya there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is actually an old time trial loop most people ride. The west side trails are unmarked and there are a bunch of short spider trails that aren't much on there own, but if you hit them from the right direction off the right trails, they combine to make up a real nice 8-9 mile loop.

It's just a matter of riding with someone and getting the hang of the trails.

I haven't ridden lately but blow downs seem to be a problem, no one seems to take care of the trails out there. Some of the best loops died because of one or two big trees came down. Especially on the unmarked west side of the park.

Members who have read this thread: 0