Mass Weather- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mass Weather

mtbr member

Mass Weather

Is the ice and general shi**y winter weather around here driving anyone else nuts? I know there's been a few good stretches but between the unconsolodated dust snow, rivers if ice, rain and short days this winter is really getting to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Iím with you. A bunch of us drove to the Cape yesterday and met up with a few of my CC friends for a great ride on bone dry trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Iím with you. A bunch of us drove to the Cape yesterday and met up with a few of my CC friends for a great ride on bone dry trails.

Sounds nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's part of living in New England. 2 ft of snow you ain't riding either. Less snow= earlier trail riding.

mtbr member
    I guess I should feel fortunate in still being able to maintain my regular program of casual recreation on 2 wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Less snow= earlier trail riding.
    Sure but that assumes you're ready to give up snow riding. When the snow is good its fantastic and I'm in no rush for spring. But when the snow sux, it sux and spring can't get here fast enough.

mtbr member
    Boston area has had more ice than snow.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Beaches and pavement are usually always open.

banned
    Nov 2017
    I've said it a million times. Winter riding is all what you make of it. You've got to think outside the box and put in a little bit of elbow grease at times to keep the good times/conditions rolling. I live just 30 miles north of mass and haven't needed fat tires or studs all winter long and have enjoyed great riding daily/weekly. It's all about being creative and having places set aside that see no other winter traffic. I snowshoe pack my own loops. The nice thing about winter when there's snow is that you don't have to limit yourself to trail networks or even trails if they woods are open enough. Just snow shoe pack loops thru the woods wherever you see fit. If it's not a designated trail network then you won't have to deal with post holders or people using the trails when it's too warm then turns to rutted glare ice once temps drop.

Here's a pic from today in Southern Maine. No fat tires, no studs, no other traffic all winter. Think outside the box and reap the rewards. That FB local conditions page is a depressing read lol. It sez the riding sux everywhere north of Boston!!! Heh, hardly.

Mass Weather-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm going to be down visiting my old riding buddies in the Boston area next weekend. Temps look warm for the next 10 days so I'm hoping/assuming trails will be good to ride at least south of Boston? I'm thinking Wompy, Vietnam....or I'll even keep driving south to find dirt.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm going to be down visiting my old riding buddies in the Boston area next weekend. Temps look warm for the next 10 days so I'm hoping/assuming trails will be good to ride at least south of Boston? I'm thinking Wompy, Vietnam....or I'll even keep driving south to find dirt.
    With the huge warm up now and early week next week you should be able to find good dirt in northern mass, souther/central nh, Maine. Here in Maine the dirt is already getting good in the right places. Lower traffic areas that drain well, no problem.👍

mtbr member
    Of course now they're calling for 4+" South of Boston Sat-Sunday.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I've been fatbiking with studs russell mill, 'the mup', the brft mup, heart pond, nara park pond, and all sorts of side-swamps normally inaccessible when not frozen

there is nothing that studded dillingers can't do (except KOM's)

also been riding small various conservation nuggets in and around Kennebunk Maine on weekends.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Class Clown
    as a commuter this winter has been great so far, onwards to spring!

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Of course now they're calling for 4+" South of Boston Sat-Sunday.
    Haha yup ain't it something? GO TO THE CAPE EVERYONE!!!😂

So glad the riding has been so good up here all winter. Haven't had to drive to ride one single time. The older I get the weirder it seems to drive to ride a bike👽

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    also been riding small various conservation nuggets in and around Kennebunk Maine on weekends.
    So much good riding up in that area. Seemingly endless. Best part, it's not really a riding destination. Trails stay in nice shape and quiet.

mtbr member
    I don't know, I'm kinda diggin the weather, 54 degrees today in western Mass!!!

Mass Weather-shorts2.jpg

Class Clown
    so were probably getting some snow in Boston tomorrow night...Tuesday will be a nice 64F.

that lovely NE weather

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    so were probably getting some snow in Boston tomorrow night...Tuesday will be a nice 64F.

that lovely NE weather
    unbelievable isn't it?

Great tacky dirt no mud no ice just 30 miles or so north of Mass today.

Mass Weather-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yep, NWS says 3-7 inches of snow tonight, followed by temps in the mid to upper 60s for Tuesday and Wednesday.

At least the snow won't be around long!

banned
    Nov 2017
    Just coming off of a 14 hour workday behind the wheel. It is officially puking snow out there. Glad it didn't start a few hours earlier. Feeling very thankful for the temps coming next week. Report some totals please. 🙂

mtbr member
    We ended up with ~7" in Chelmsford. It's all gone now.

Mass Weather-moto-g5-20180218_085310259-1024.jpg

banned
    Nov 2017
    Nice pic!!!^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How are things on the cape? Was going to head down and check out TOT tomm.

mtbr member

Mass Weather

Cape is good. Drains well. But some rain coming in. Iíll be riding the beach in Dennis today, but, looking at some friendsĎ rides, everywhere is good.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Just a bit South in Eastern CT...we got about 5" Sat night. 5 of us riding but didn't see any fatbikes WTF?

Mass Weather-img_0309.jpg
    Mass Weather-img_0317.jpg
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

banned
    Nov 2017
    Great pics! Most Fatbikers want to ride pavement smooth hard groomers from what I've noticed. Makes no sense to me, but......

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good trail maintenance weather!

mtbr member

Cape was awesome today. Elected to trail ride due to too much fog on the beach.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Took a spontaneous drive down to the Cape this evening to see family and get a ride in tomorrow after the rains subside. Curious to see if the dirt is riding as well as it was in Maine today. Ah home sweet home......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Took a spontaneous drive down to the Cape this evening to see family and get a ride in tomorrow after the rains subside. Curious to see if the dirt is riding as well as it was in Maine today. Ah home sweet home......
    Post some pix. Iím heading to Florida where thereís only road riding for me. Iíll miss the cape trails.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Post some pix. Iím heading to Florida where thereís only road riding for me. Iíll miss the cape trails.

Ah but you get that nice Florida weather.

Will take some pics. Radar is looking "challenging" right now. We'll see how things look in 6-7 hours. Either riding from moms and hitting up the Willow St area via sandy pond entry or meeting Mr Jeff for some TOT fun. Not via big ring entry. That will surely be underwater. Brushwood/auto mile will drain the best so most likely that area of Willow.

mtbr member
    Ah but you get that nice Florida weather.

Will take some pics. Radar is looking "challenging" right now. We'll see how things look in 6-7 hours. Either riding from moms and hitting up the Willow St area via sandy pond entry or meeting Mr Jeff for some TOT fun. Not via big ring entry. That will surely be underwater. Brushwood/auto mile will drain the best so most likely that area of Willow.
    Everything Iíve ridden this past month from TOT, EX 7 Higgins Crowell and Greenough and my secret stash in Dennis are in great condition. Youíll have to problem. Have fun.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Bushwood not "brushwood" haha auto correct. Thanx I'm sure I'll find something.😉

mtbr member

Heading to Florida myself on Tuesday. Why only road riding, plenty of trail to have fun on. Santos MTB fest March 9-11th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Heading to Florida myself on Tuesday. Why only road riding, plenty of trail to have fun on. Santos MTB fest March 9-11th
    Iíll be in Bonita Springs. Donít know know of any trails other than next to the Caloosahachee River.
    I shipped my road bike down.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Where do you suggest going in Maine for dirt? Iím in Portland and still kind of snowy around here.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineland View Post
    Where do you suggest going in Maine for dirt? Iím in Portland and still kind of snowy around here.
    York county area is where I ride and dirt has been good. Some snow too but very limited by me as of this past week. No ice or mud just either snow or dirt. The key to avoid ice or mud is by riding areas that see pretty much no other traffic all winter. No ice forms this way and the snow melts much more quickly. I keep certain areas reserved like that to ensure great conditions.

Didn't end up riding the Cape yesterday. Rain never let up. Great family visit tho so that was nice. Stoked to hit some great Maine dirt today. Weather looks perfect for it. Mid 40's sunny.

Class Clown
    man F this, no riding today

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    man F this, no riding today
    These are the kind of days for trail work and clearing drains. I'll be out walking Saturday doing the pick up stick thing.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Gonna be a lot of debris to clean up. Just finished up most of one loop this week. That same loop will keep me doubly busy in days to come. Raw out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a feeling we'll be firing up the chainsaws in the Worcester Hills after this storm blows through!

mtbr member
    The woods are gonna be a mess. Lots of lazy trees in this past blow.

banned
    Nov 2017
    You guys got hit way harder down there. We were mostly spared. For once.

mtbr member
    I just went and checked out my local casual loop, itís a mess. Iím guessing by Thursday morning itís gonna be a disaster.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Heh crazy winter. Haven't even bothered checking out the damage in my area woods after last weeks storm. With up to 20" on the way tomorrow/Wednesday with high winds on top of the 1/2 foot in the woods now, I'm focusing more on skiing/surfing for the next month. Unless the blow torch comes back out.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Rode Wompatuck last night during the blizzard. Snowmobiles are very active, saw maybe 10 of them. Had one NEMBA member use his groomer on the Bikeway and rode about 5 miles out and back.

mtbr member
    There nothing like riding the beach in spring.....

Bone chilling temps........check
    30 mph winds................check
    Freezing rain.................Check
    Hail..............................check

God I love spring!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    errrrrr.... north of boston...can we ride this weekend?!!? snow should be gone by friday evening, with the rain, will the trails be too soggy to ride saturday?

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bonez3113 View Post
    errrrrr.... north of boston...can we ride this weekend?!!? snow should be gone by friday evening, with the rain, will the trails be too soggy to ride saturday?
    Yes. There are areas that drain really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    From what I have seen walking and clearing blowdowns from Willowdale the trails are very muddy / wet as of Wed. I think at least 3/5 days of nice weather needed to dry out a bit. Still snow lots of spots. Would be a good idea to have spare derailleur hangers when you do go. Trees and branches all over really

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes. There are areas that drain really well.
    What trails are cleared of branches? It's a mess in most places.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bonez3113 View Post
    Might need some time to melt, thaw and drain. Rode by some of my local in Wilmington today. Still some snow in the shady/lower spots. Plus mud. Branches and trees everywhere. Did 2 hours last Saturday of trail work. Got less than 1 mile cleared. Trails were not passable. Stuff blocking every 1-300 ft. Might want to recon walk with a saw first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Never done trail building/clearing before. This is my seconds season out after stopping in HS. Can I bring a chainsaw?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bonez

a lot of stuff needs to be pulled off trail, a lot of stuff, a nice foldable saw will take care of.
    I did take my chainsaw and cleared 4 large trees across the doubletrack. Only recommend a chainsaw if you are with others and you have experience.
    One block in WD is near marker 39. a huge pine came across the whole doubletrack taking other trees with it. I saw that mess on Sunday but it is way to much for one person.You can even go for a hike and Bring an old ski pole and use it to flick sticks from trail. Any and all work will be a huge help.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    What trails are cleared of branches? It's a mess in most places.
    Well I guess some of us stay busier than others clearing trail. I do it with every storm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    thanks for the replies guys. will prob take a shot to clear out as much as i can this weekend. those storms sure did a number im sure.