Mass AM riders - What tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Mass AM riders - What tires?

I'm having a hard time with tire combination (especially with this dry weather as of late).

I was hoping we could get a thread going, listing what tires we prefer; listing their size and intended use (season, dry, snow etc), as well as any notes.

Combinations I've tried recently:

F: Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    R: Maxxis Ikon 2.2
    -Mounted on an i19 rim, I wasn't crazy about this combination. It was fast on the flat, but had very little grip and very unpredictable cornering stability.

F: Maxxis Miniom DHF 3c 2.5
    R: Maxxis Miniom DHF 3c 2.3
    -Mounted on i19 rim (I know...) These have grip, like woah. Unfortunately, in running them on such a narrow rim, that I wasn't able to comfortably corner due to insane rollover.

mtbr member
    Replace that Ikon with an Ignitor if you want that extra grip with same/better rolling resistance. You can get the Ignitor in 2.1 (which I run now) or 2.3 (which I plan on running this fall on my 21mm rims). This might be your best best on 19mm rims. Go wider rims and your options start getting better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Running tubeless? What pressure? I use maxxis dhf 2.5 up front @ about 26-28 psi. Rear is a dhr 2.3 at about 28-30 psi, tubeless. Roval rims on an enduro. Rider weight, 230 or so. Run these all year until the studded tires get put on.

mtbr member
    In plus tires i've been having luck with 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nick's with Trail Protection.

EAT MORE GRIME
    conti trail kings are my fav

bombproof on trail and not complete dogs on road either

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Running tubeless? What pressure? I use maxxis dhf 2.5 up front @ about 26-28 psi. Rear is a dhr 2.3 at about 28-30 psi, tubeless. Roval rims on an enduro. Rider weight, 230 or so. Run these all year until the studded tires get put on.
    I'm about 220, running tubless. Front is 26 and rear is 28. The real issue is the i19 rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm on Arc 30's with DHF 2.3 front/HR2 2.3 rear. I tried 3C in the front and was willing to give up the extra grip for longevity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I'm on Arc 30's with DHF 2.3 front/HR2 2.3 rear. I tried 3C in the front and was willing to give up the extra grip for longevity.
    Would 2.3 on an i30 give an extremely square profile? What pressure do you run?

DCI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    LB 38mm rims. I always run a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front @18psi. In back this really dry summer, a 2.35 Icon @22psi which is great in the dry, packs up to much to be good in the wet. In the fall i'll go back to a Nobby Nic or the new Maxxis Aggressor out back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    LB 38mm rims. I always run a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front @18psi. In back this really dry summer, a 2.35 Icon @22psi which is great in the dry, packs up to much to be good in the wet. In the fall i'll go back to a Nobby Nic or the new Maxxis Aggressor out back.
    Yea, this dust is killing me right now. Just got back from F. Gilbert and it's all dust and pine needles, ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetface View Post
    Would 2.3 on an i30 give an extremely square profile? What pressure do you run?
    Not really (or at least in my opinion). The new "wide trail" version is designed for 35mm rims. I usually run ~25psi front, 28 rear. 190lbs on the bike. With that said, I'm hardly a hardcore shredder, so I could have it set up quite poorly and it'll still be more traction than my skills can handle

Just a flesh wound
    LB 38mm rims. Vittoria Morsa 27.5 x 2.3 front and back. 18 PSI front, 20 PSI back. I weigh 165. If I go lift served, I raise the pressure to 22f, 24r. The fat rims make handling so much better that you'll wonder how you ever rode without them.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    LB 38mm rims. Vittoria Morsa 27.5 x 2.3 front and back. 18 PSI front, 20 PSI back. I weigh 165. If I go lift served, I raise the pressure to 22f, 24r. The fat rims make handling so much better that you'll wonder how you ever rode without them.
    Interesting. I question ever going quite that wide. Next season I might pick up some i29's (new Stan's maybe).

I'm going to utilitize the wheels and tires i habe now for the remaining season.

Currently running 2.5 DHF up front on i25 rim and a 2.4 DHF/2.4 Ardent on the rear with an i19 rim.

I

Just a flesh wound
    The LB 38mm is 32mm internal. Super stiff laterally. No rollover for the tires. The i29's would be a nice upgrade. I have friends on the Derby 35mm internals and they love them. I was afraid to go that fat, but finally gave in and did it. The only regret was that I didn't do it sooner.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.