Lynn woods, what do you folks ride there?- Mtbr.com
    Paste eater

Lynn woods, what do you folks ride there?

I had the pleasure of making it down to LW from Maine this past weekend and had a blast. It was my first time and I surely will not be my last. I brought down my Motolite, which is built bigger than most with a PIKE and bigger wheels and wheelsets. None the less, It was really the first time i REALLY was yearning for a bigger bike. Sure there are other places at my normal riding spots that a bigger bike would be better, but ty[ically those are outweighed by the amount of time I really don't. I bottomed out the suspenion a few times and rolling some steep rocks things started to get a little twitchier than I would of prefered even with the PIKE at 140mm. Just curious what most of you prefer there...

mtbr member
    I ride Lynn Woods at least a couple times a week and it happens to be the place I snapped my Motolight. I had it setup much like yours with an AM1 @ 145mm, DT5.1 rims, Fat Alberts, etc. It almost survived a full season of these trails. The ML can survive there but the ride will be harsh. You'll also want to be careful with the size of the drops you do and the rollers you hit. If you ride aggressively then you'll want to ditch the ML for something stronger. The El Guapo w/a 36 is perfect for this terrain unless you're hitting the really big stuff. The EG allows me to be as aggressive as I want to be w/o having to worry about breaking my bike.

I've seen a bunch of riders on bikes in the ML(aggressive XC) range ridden there but these guys are going around the harsh stuff and taking the easier lines and walking some of the scarier lines. To really get the most out of Lynn you'll want a real tough "all mountain" bike w/a burly fork. I've seen Nicolai's, 5 spots, RFX's, 6.6's, Spec Enduro's, Hecklers, Bullets, Nomads, Bottlerockets all handling the terrain pretty well. It's also not uncommon to see free-ride bikes out there hitting the crazy stuff.

Next time your coming my way send me a PM and I'll give you the tour. There's also a ton of other trails, that aren't much further away, that the ML would be better suited for that I could show you.

Cheers!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I ride Lynn Woods at least a couple times a week and it happens to be the place I snapped my Motolight. I had it setup much like yours with an AM1 @ 145mm, DT5.1 rims, Fat Alberts, etc. It almost survived a full season of these trails. The ML can survive there but the ride will be harsh. You'll also want to be careful with the size of the drops you do and the rollers you hit. If you ride aggressively then you'll want to ditch the ML for something stronger. The El Guapo w/a 36 is perfect for this terrain unless you're hitting the really big stuff. The EG allows me to be as aggressive as I want to be w/o having to worry about breaking my bike.

I've seen a bunch of riders on bikes in the ML(aggressive XC) range ridden there but these guys are going around the harsh stuff and taking the easier lines and walking some of the scarier lines. To really get the most out of Lynn you'll want a real tough "all mountain" bike w/a burly fork. I've seen Nicolai's, 5 spots, RFX's, 6.6's, Spec Enduro's, Hecklers, Bullets, Nomads, Bottlerockets all handling the terrain pretty well. It's also not uncommon to see free-ride bikes out there hitting the crazy stuff.

Next time your coming my way send me a PM and I'll give you the tour. There's also a ton of other trails, that aren't much further away, that the ML would be better suited for that I could show you.

Cheers!
    Good info! I'm from MA, but mountain biking experience has been all SoCal, so I don't really know what to expect when I move back in December. I ride a Chumba XCL, coil Pike, Fox DHX-A 5.0.... am I hooked up for Lynn? I'll be living in Boston, so I think LW will be my number one spot. Thanks .

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Good info! I'm from MA, but mountain biking experience has been all SoCal, so I don't really know what to expect when I move back in December. I ride a Chumba XCL, coil Pike, Fox DHX-A 5.0.... am I hooked up for Lynn? I'll be living in Boston, so I think LW will be my number one spot. Thanks .
    Lynn is a TON of glacier rock so there is alot of quick ups and downs...tons of flat drops etc. Tons of fun but likely alot different from SoCal. For a great tour, try and hook up with the Dieselbikes crew. Good peeps that do a ton for Lynn ( and other places) that really know the area.
    Bear in mind Lynn does close for biking from Mid january( I think) to Mid April but there is alot of options in the area that still offer killer trails.

I ride all year long. Check out the trail board on www.bustedspoke.com for rides when you get to the area. Plenty of people that can show you alot of what the area has to offer.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I had the pleasure of making it down to LW from Maine this past weekend and had a blast. It was my first time and I surely will not be my last. I brought down my Motolite, which is built bigger than most with a PIKE and bigger wheels and wheelsets. None the less, It was really the first time i REALLY was yearning for a bigger bike. Sure there are other places at my normal riding spots that a bigger bike would be better, but ty[ically those are outweighed by the amount of time I really don't. I bottomed out the suspenion a few times and rolling some steep rocks things started to get a little twitchier than I would of prefered even with the PIKE at 140mm. Just curious what most of you prefer there...
    Sounds like my experience there last summer with my 575. It was a lot of fun with a great bunch of people from Diesel Bikes (as suggested elsewhere in this thread).

S.

Members who have read this thread: 0