Lynn Woods - my soon to be, new back yard :-)- Mtbr.com
    Who are the brain police?

Lynn Woods - my soon to be, new back yard :-)

Lynn Woods - my soon to be, new back yard :-)

I've always wanted to live near there and now, thanks to a divorce, I will be living near there :-)

Just had to boast!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.4...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    great news on the divorce. looks like a great new parking spot for nemba members... lots of pools in that hood on the aerial as well

Class Clown
    Also close to Dragon Island and Kowloon

EAT MORE GRIME
    RIP Lynn Woods brain in a jar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Like, really your back yard. IPA's on the porch get me a parking spot?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Dude - I've been looking for that picture on and off for ages.
    Thanks for posting it.

The good old daze. MKR looks like a frigging kid.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    And the Golden Banana and about 25 of the best roast beef joints on the planet. God's country.

EAT MORE GRIME
    R.I.P. Hilltop

mtbr member
    R.I.P. Hilltop

Glorious!

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield View Post
    Glorious!
    I remember going there as a kid and the lines wrapped the building...

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    234, 478 for Sioux City

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman View Post
    I remember going there as a kid and the lines wrapped the building...
    Me too.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I remember seeing that. The best was the bike hanging ominously from the tree at the entrance to bow ridge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So I went for my annual humbling experience of "riding" at Lynn Woods. I love slickrock so I'm always drawn to the allure. Every year I ride I improve in my tech, and I like tech. Then I go to Lynn and realize how bad I suck again. I want to ride the stuff in there really bad, and I can do segments. I don't mind stopping and playing, or retrying sections. But damn, some times it is hard to go ten feet in there.

Today, for the first time I explored the Boston rock Northern part. I have a strong feeling that a lot of Lynn is meant to be ridden a certain way and that I'm usually going the wrong way. For instance, in that Northern part I started at the lot and worked west. Pretty sure that area is better heading east.

It has been said in the past that Lynn can flow. Would friendly riders that go there mind sharing some nice routes or preferably loops that make the place flow together? Not looking for the toughest route, tough happens there naturally. Looking to see what way makes that place flow. Please. Because the place is a mile from my office.

It is always twice as hard as any other place I ride. Except for that time I nearly died riding solo at School St.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    toughest route is...every rock you see with a painted trail hash mark ?
    hit that paint mark with your wheel. I have seen it done. all of 'em. this was
    20 years ago I cannot account for anything new since that day. yes expert
    trials rider did it. that is 'Lynn the hard way' style

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's been a good while since I've been to Lynn too.
    Guaranteed to make you step up your game.
    Super satisfying place to ride.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The guy from DirtWire TV on Youtube recently posted this video. So good...so hard. I'm up in Beverly and don't ride Lynn that much but I always have a hankering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    So I went for my annual humbling experience of "riding" at Lynn Woods. I love slickrock so I'm always drawn to the allure. Every year I ride I improve in my tech, and I like tech. Then I go to Lynn and realize how bad I suck again. I want to ride the stuff in there really bad, and I can do segments. I don't mind stopping and playing, or retrying sections. But damn, some times it is hard to go ten feet in there.

Today, for the first time I explored the Boston rock Northern part. I have a strong feeling that a lot of Lynn is meant to be ridden a certain way and that I'm usually going the wrong way. For instance, in that Northern part I started at the lot and worked west. Pretty sure that area is better heading east.

It has been said in the past that Lynn can flow. Would friendly riders that go there mind sharing some nice routes or preferably loops that make the place flow together? Not looking for the toughest route, tough happens there naturally. Looking to see what way makes that place flow. Please. Because the place is a mile from my office.

It is always twice as hard as any other place I ride. Except for that time I nearly died riding solo at School St.

Hehehehe...School St. is humbling, especially when you ride it with people who make it a point to dab only once or twice. The North Shore has some 'wicked ridas, bro'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

I ride Lynn Woods from the Ball Field two or three times a week. I mix a little of everything to make a decent 7-10 mile loop of XC and free ride . Feel free to find me on Strava - Matt Robinson (Salem MA) --- (not sure if I can link my account). I'm definitely not the fastest out there. But every ride I try to improve. There are lots of places to stop and sesh. I'd be happy to take you through anytime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieTolliver View Post
    I ride Lynn Woods from the Ball Field two or three times a week. I mix a little of everything to make a decent 7-10 mile loop of XC and free ride . Feel free to find me on Strava - Matt Robinson (Salem MA) --- (not sure if I can link my account). I'm definitely not the fastest out there. But every ride I try to improve. There are lots of places to stop and sesh. I'd be happy to take you through anytime.
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I'll look you up on Strava. I use Strava for trail recon, and noting/improving on my loops at various places so I am not sure why I didn't think to just check out trail segments.

I don't ride fast either and especially not there. I would never see Lynn as a place to go for fast riding. I need to get back there and explore the Boston rock area. There are trails all over and I was just stopping and looking around in awe of the options and sweet slick rock features.

I usually just wear knee pads but I was thinking some face protection might not be a bad idea there. Especially when I'm pushing my boundaries like that.

mtbr member
    Wow, I was planning an excursion there with a buddy of mine myself, i had no idea Lynn Woods was such a challenge. How would you compare it to the Fells in terms of technical, much worse? I'd like to improve and feel I've rode the Fells to death (see my other posts) but you guys have scared me off of Lynn Woods now, ha
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch
    2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Wow, I was planning an excursion there with a buddy of mine myself, i had no idea Lynn Woods was such a challenge. How would you compare it to the Fells in terms of technical, much worse? I'd like to improve and feel I've rode the Fells to death (see my other posts) but you guys have scared me off of Lynn Woods now, ha
    It can be tough to have fun there. There are some fun sections for sure. But most of these sections aren't connected directly to one another.

But don't let the comments here deter you... it's worth a few rides for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    As I said, it is pretty much twice as tough as any other legal/documented/mapped trail i've ridden in the area. Including Fells. The hardest feature i saw on the Fells bike loop was like an easy part of Lynn. Just go armored to the teeth (at least some knee pads). It may do you some good to see the high end of the spectrum of what a real hard mountain bike trail is. After reading your other Fells post I am curious about just how tough Fells/Skyline trail would be. I won't be riding it due to it being closed to bikes, but i am curious. I just get intrigued how some experienced riders will refer to a trail as unridable, which happens to be another experienced riders go to trail. I remember debates on NJ forums about tech trails, with comments like "if i wanted to just throw my $5K bike down a rocky trail i'd ride there." Or "I actually prefer to ride when i ride." Meanwhile it was just a great but challenging techy mtb oriented trail. Different strokes i guess.

There are a lot of other places to explore not very far from Fells, Harold Parker is the best. Lots of mileage and variety. It also has some pretty technical areas but i don't feel the cost of failure is nearly as high as Lynn. There are flowy sections of HP, but overall i would say they are technical trails. I am a decent technical rider (i feel), I can handle all of HP but with having to do some do overs. There are some HP sections that make me nervous at up in Lock n Load (Northern part of Park), but when I am at Lynn i'm pretty nervous always. Not that you should blindly roll over an unknown trail, but for the most part when you roll up over a feature in HP, it rolls out, in Lynn you never know, it could be a 6' drop.

Not every trail at Lynn is crazy, but the good stuff is. It is good to have a challenge i suppose. So if i can never fully ride Lynn Woods, that is fine. I'm content being proficient at riding HP or Vietnam levels of tech and Lynn can always be something to grow into.

Likely if you end up around Boston Rock, or Balancing Boulder in Lynn you will say "F this." There are times when I am content going in and "playing" in Lynn. But unless you are a very good at tech you won't be going very long stretches without dismounting. And some parts are hard to mount and go five feet.

Watch that video a couple posts up. It will give a good idea. While videos and pics never show how hard a tech feature is, that video works well because you can see the other riders and how much is involved,

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lynn is an absolute party if you have good skills and don't mind checking your ego in the parking lot and not expecting every line to be a 'gimme' right off the bat. It's the kind of place that can change your entire outlook as far as what you consider rideable on a mountain bike.

Yes, you WILL scratch your bike.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I find one of the keys to riding Lynn well and having fun and not having to get off the bike as much is riding there often enough to learn the lines. There are lots of places where 6" to the left, 1 ft/ to the right is the difference between rideable, difficult move or disaster.

mtbr member
    After reading your other Fells post I am curious about just how tough Fells/Skyline trail would be.
    Very fair point, after watching the vid of Lynn Woods I'm thinking that there are definitely some guys who could indeed ride the worst parts of the Skyline trail (if it were legal), but you are right it's just not for me

I think I will take your suggestion of Harold Parker though having seen and heard good things about it, and maybe try Lynn Woods at some point just to say I've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrider View Post
    I find one of the keys to riding Lynn well and having fun and not having to get off the bike as much is riding there often enough
    I definitely agree, I find now that any (legal) trail in the Fells no real challenge, and just want to change up my scenery.

So thanks guys, HP on my list first then LW (maybe). ha
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch
    2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

mtbr member
    There are a lot of options for you, assuming you live in the Fells area. Lowell Dracut Tynsboro is a lot of fun and pretty easy to navigate if you do some online recon beforehand. I rode there after my last Lynn ride and it made me feel like a superhero.

I will go back to Lynn soon. It is a very different experience as others have said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    LDT is one of my longtime favorite places. Definitely check it out - great mix.
    The other stuff in that area is good to - RM, Great Brook, BSF, etc.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    After reading your other Fells post I am curious about just how tough Fells/Skyline trail would be. I won't be riding it due to it being closed to bikes, but i am curious. ,
    idbrian, the white trail @ the fells was comparable to Lynn. More steep rolls than drops to flat though. Back in the day, if you could ride skyline, you where fine @ Lynn. I learned to ride a mountain bike on Skyline. Then a buddy of mine took me to Lynn and we never went back. There was just more @ Lynn plus no politics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Very fair point, after watching the vid of Lynn Woods I'm thinking that there are definitely some guys who could indeed ride the worst parts of the Skyline trail (if it were legal), but you are right it's just not for me

I think I will take your suggestion of Harold Parker though having seen and heard good things about it, and maybe try Lynn Woods at some point just to say I've done it.

I definitely agree, I find now that any (legal) trail in the Fells no real challenge, and just want to change up my scenery.

So thanks guys, HP on my list first then LW (maybe). ha
    Our NS Nemba chapter does thurs. night rides @ HP. 30 miles of stuff if you connect Ward hill. Has " some" rocks though.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Lynn as a backyard, if you ride there all the time...

you can pretty much rip with one eye closed anywhere else
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Go fast. Stay in as high gear as possible and power it through. This will keep your power stroke ready for action and will give crank clearance in rocky terrain. Avoid spinning low gears at high cadence. Flow at Lynn comes with knowing when to apply full power in the right gear. Really have to have big power moves to overcome the terrain. In fact, power is often more important than tech riding skills many times. Keep the front light except during the very steep climbs. Try not to stop. Keep the momentum going. Careful not to ride over your limits but know when to challenge yourself.

The rockiest trail is the eastern end of Bow Ridge. Although it may seem unridable in spots, it is possible to ride it in full without a dab. Not many ppl will regularly ride it. Riding the full ridge is much more difficult & strenuous than Black Ops at HP, the trail a lot of people know about. The feeling of flow comes not from high speeds but rather when each successive move overcomes an obstacles. There aren't many places that offer it in the level that Lynn Woods does. The Fells cannot be compared to Lynn. Period.

LBR (or No Name trail) is also unique. Climb it or descend it. The trail is fantastic. It requires a lot of power in climbing it. The sections I mentioned were not featured in the video above. Stay safe and don't injure yourself badly and you'll have a good time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Not much to see.
    Last edited by shrink; 10-04-2017 at 06:51 PM.