Looking to ride/Central Mass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Looking to ride/Central Mass

Hey guys,
    I am new to the mountain biking world and started off buying a Trek Excaliber with upgraded fork. I recently got diagnosed with diabetes and I need to do some more fitness and mountain biking looks like a blast. I am located in Worcester,Ma and don't really know about any trails. I heard LSF is a good place to ride but I'm kinda questioning if going out alone is smart. So If anyone is looking to meet up and ride anywhere I would really enjoy it and meeting some new friends to ride with. Thanks for looking.

Name is Mike and I can be reached on here and my email: [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ride the fire roads in the Rutland State Park/Barre Falls Dam Area. Singletrack riding is banned there, but it will get in shape to ride the much more challenging area in Central Mass.

You do not want to start by riding LSF.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Boynton Park/Cascade Falls has some challenging terrain... it's mostly hiking trails, but it's got some techy stuff. People used to shuttle some if the trails, but I think that died off after the ice storms years back.

Once Sept. rolls around, I could be down to ride. I teach I'm Leicester, so end up heading over sometimes after work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are a lot of good trails around Worcester for beginners: Hodge's Village in Oxford, Talbot in Northborough, West Hill Dam in Uxbridge are three that immediately come to mind. If you're up to riding with a group, Blackstone Valley NEMBA does a beginner ride on Tuesday nights at 6pm: Blackstone Valley NEMBA - Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ^^^ Absolutely that - get on the BV NEMBA Facebook page and start doing their Tuesday night beginner rides.

Though there's very little little in Worcester, there's lots AROUND to ride. Depending where in Worcester you are, Hodges Village in Oxford and Callahan SP in Framingham aren't too far. Talbot Trails in Northborough is very simple and there are a lot of fire roads around, which is great for riding if you need to build up some endurance and legs before getting into singletrack stuff.

Kudos on making a healthy choice and digging on a wicked cool sport!
    Riding bikes rules!