Looking for a non-paved route from Otis to TOT.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for a non-paved route from Otis to TOT.

I've figured out a way from Falmouth to Otis via ST or DT, which makes for an epic day. But, I'd like to pick it up a notch and ride to TOT, and then hopefully back to Falmouth with as much dirt as possible under my tires.

Any shareable tracks that can help with that? I'd settle for Otis to TOT or vice versa if someone has that. I'd also take Otis to Nickerson too...

banned
    Sep 2008
    No tracks but I have many times done what I call the cape cod off road 50 which connects tot with Otis and many other conservation areas along the way. One big loop. It's a great ride.

I also used to do tot to the guantlet in welfleet which hits a bunch of stuff in Nickerson along the way. No strava or gps on that either. We used to do it the old fashion way. A gazetteer and trial and error. I could easily lead a loop tho

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    No tracks but I have many times done what I call the cape cod off road 50 which connects tot with Otis and many other conservation areas along the way. One big loop. It's a great ride.
    you have a gps file for that... sounds like an awesome ride

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    you have a gps file for that... sounds like an awesome ride
    What's so nice is that there are a few variations which net you a good 50-55 miles with more elevation gain than you'd expect. I've taken strong riders from the mtns of northern ne who were crushed by rides end from all of the short punchy climbs. Especially when you factor in the heartbreakers of sandwich on the way back to tot

No gps, no maps or tech. I don't even own an I phone. The connectors are old ancient ways and other "neighborhood" connectors that you'd be hard pressed to figure out without a guide. Me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sounds like a challenge. I am in!!!! Set the date and I will be there

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    Sounds like a challenge. I am in!!!! Set the date and I will be there
    I may head down there at some point and ride it to see what is still passable and possible. I haven't lived there in 8 years, so.........

It'd be fun to get a good group together and do it in the fall.

mtbr member
    I have many gps files showing the trails all over Falmouth. I've done a lot from Otis to the ferry in woods holes. One could ride from Sandwich to the ferry via 99% dirt. I also have mapped out a route from the ferry in Woods Holes to Ptown going both ways around the base and a north/south option between Willow and Nickerson. Its all out there. And extremely easy to find. But now I get to do some real route mapping...
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    I have many gps files showing the trails all over Falmouth. I've done a lot from Otis to the ferry in woods holes. One could ride from Sandwich to the ferry via 99% dirt. I also have mapped out a route from the ferry in Woods Holes to Ptown going both ways around the base and a north/south option between Willow and Nickerson. Its all out there. And extremely easy to find. But now I get to do some real route mapping...
    Have you ridden/connected it all?

mtbr member
    Nope hah. I didn't want it to seem that way. I've just mapped some. I've connected about everything from Otis rotary to Woods Hole. Others are connecting stuff like Nickerson to Willow. I moved before I could get the gear and time to pack it. Met some guys doing long trips down south, excited to plan stuff in the Pisgah area and Georgia mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Iceboxsteve - if you could share GPS on garmin or strava or via files it would be appreciated. I just did long pond to Otis and back...I would expect there to be a way through to Beebe woods to get to Woods hole. And, then, would expect a sandwich route that might help link through to TOT.

Looks like I will be doing some map browsing to see if I can map it out myself...

banned
    Sep 2008
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by beninstow View Post
    Iceboxsteve - if you could share GPS on garmin or strava or via files it would be appreciated. I just did long pond to Otis and back...I would expect there to be a way through to Beebe woods to get to Woods hole. And, then, would expect a sandwich route that might help link through to TOT.

Looks like I will be doing some map browsing to see if I can map it out myself...
    There is some pavement involved to be sure.....

But a ton of off-road bits and bigger bits to be enjoyed. Lots of behind people's houses stuff too. Beware of dogs

try driving your car less
    falmouth to otis is pretty straightforward. you can even go past the otis rotary, carefully cross 28 and ride trail in bourne.
    you can also ride dirt through crane wildlife and get to TOT. some pavement.

forget the gps track. go figure it out yourself, you will have more fun. there is more than one route for much of it. google map makes it pretty easy these days. just do it bit by bit, then link it up. i figured out much myself, and was shown much by others.

bring a sandwich.

in the end, though, most of those trails are not as good as the stuff at otis and tot, which is why so few folks do it.

and very few people can keep up with rog, regardless of where they are from!
    Only boring people get bored.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Ha, Yo J, you still round these parts? I'm here right now but no bike this time. Short family/business trip. Back home (maine) on the bike tomorrow, sigh.

We should do the big loop sometime. Hope to get back down in a month to scope out all the sweet connectors between tot and otis on the south side of the loop. I fear that some of it might be grown in as i was pretty much the only one riding/maintaining it when i last lived here.

mtbr member
    Cape NEMBA has been doing some work on the trails just north of Rt6 at Willow. 4C's to Old Jail House Lane to Willow to Greenough to Weir Rd. then Rt6 trails in Dennis to Nickerson. The Cape has as many trails as fresh water ponds. But it's all top secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Cape NEMBA has been doing some work on the trails just north of Rt6 at Willow. 4C's to Old Jail House Lane to Willow to Greenough to Weir Rd. then Rt6 trails in Dennis to Nickerson. The Cape has as many trails as fresh water ponds. But it's all top secret.
    the old trails north of 6 between mary dunne and willow were north 6 and new north 6. north 6 was such a sweet rip to get you back to willow after banging out all of south 6. new north (doug and arts) was such a great addition that added some tech and good ups/downs and tight turns. is that the stuff they're bringing back?

from 4'c you head across 132 behind the Y or whatevah it is now and you can connect stuff to tot. that's how i always used to ride to tot when i lived in hyannis.

how's the pivot?

ran into bkorn today, who knew he was a hugger?

mtbr member
    The Pivot is sweet. Rode it today at the NEMBA ride/ meeting. I'm going to ride Nickerson next Tuesday and hopefully Bob will be there.
    4C's to Jail House lane is what they are working on now.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Sep 2008
    The Pivot is sweet. Rode it today at the NEMBA ride/ meeting. I'm going to ride Nickerson next Tuesday and hopefully Bob will be there.
    4C's to Jail House lane is what they are working on now.

NICE! that 4c's to old jail ln area is wicked thorny. gotta include one of new englands original mtb race venues into that connection. hathaways pond rec area. mtb racing in new england was practically born there. they used bhs cross country teams running loop for the race course laps. i ran cross country for bhs and never thought i'd be riding bikes thru those trails years later. say high to doug from orleans cycle for me. i worked with him at cove cycle in the 90's. such a good guy.

mtbr member
    I'll be seeing Doug next Tuesday at the Nickerson ride. July's NEMBA meeting is at Hathaway Pond. Can't ride TOT all the time.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Sep 2008
    what's the date of that july meeting?

nice tot town line overlook shot!^^^^^

mtbr member
    July 21st. Ride starts at 5:30. Then a BBQ followed by the meeting. I'll bring an extra Schlitz in case you can make it.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Sep 2008
    July 21st. Ride starts at 5:30. Then a BBQ followed by the meeting. I'll bring an extra Schlitz in case you can make it.

ooh, i was hoping to make it down that week as friends are coming into town. this could work. ride starts from hathaways? mmmmm, beer

banned
    Sep 2008
    Coming down sunday evening (tiki port)

Big ride monday tot/otis big loop 50 ish miles if anyones interested. Tuesday 530 ride bbq.

See you there