Light weight tires for Western MA riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Light weight tires for Western MA riding

I am looking to replace the tires on my bike with something a little lighter. I am currently riding WTB Moto Raptorís 2.24. I would love to hear any recommendations for tires that are good for Western Ma conditions and are on the lighter side. I am also thinking of going a little wider on the front tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    im running a 2.3 weirwolf . only washed it out twice due to user error. once on a gravel path(gravel got no grip!!) on campus while doing some urban assault and another when i didn't hit the berm while railing a corner. i dont think theyre light though

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I am not looking for weight weenie light, but atleast lighter that the Moto Raptors I am currently riding.

never ender
    I'm running a Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 out front and a Maxxis Advantage 2.1 in the back. LOVE this combo. The Barracudas are kind of pricey and hard to find, but worth it...they're like Minions without the heavy wire bead.

person
    I use Panaracer Cinders in 2.25. Only things I've really had trouble on were wet roots (what would grip on that anyway), serves me right for riding in the wet anyway. I got mine @ pricepoint for $20 a piece but their price has gone up....must have gotten more popular. I'm currently trying out IRC Trail Bears on my other bike (2.5F 2.25R) and initially I'm liking them, I need more trail time to give a really good assessment.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    I use Panaracer Cinders in 2.25. Only things I've really had trouble on were wet roots (what would grip on that anyway), serves me right for riding in the wet anyway. I got mine @ pricepoint for $20 a piece but their price has gone up....must have gotten more popular. I'm currently trying out IRC Trail Bears on my other bike (2.5F 2.25R) and initially I'm liking them, I need more trail time to give a really good assessment.

The Schwalbe Albert 2.25 FRONT ONLY's would grip wet roots around here (and does)-but this tire in this casing has become near impossibe to find!

Had good luck with the Schwalbe BB on the front as well. Though sidewall woes continue to plague the Nevegals-there's no denying the all purpose stickability of of these guys in western, ma. Also-I'm using a set of Panaracer Rampages (26 inch version) on my single speed-they're a great tire as well.

Lots of choices-a bunch of folks seem to like specialized tires around here as well.

Liam

cranktankerous Mainer
    Take a look and the Continental "Mountain Kings" SUPER SONICS, I guess they are the bomb, I haven't tried them, but have been reading about them, just saw a write up in the new Dirt Rag too.

2.4 @ 530g, size to weight you can't beat that. They roll good, shed mud and have great traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski
    Take a look and the Continental "Mountain Kings" SUPER SONICS, I guess they are the bomb, I haven't tried them, but have been reading about them, just saw a write up in the new Dirt Rag too.

2.4 @ 530g, size to weight you can't beat that. They roll good, shed mud and have great traction.
    I got the 2.2's. Haven't ridden them yet but when I do I'll report in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 air lights. Love em'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm running IRC Mibro 2.25's on my FS and love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    I'm running a Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 out front and a Maxxis Advantage 2.1 in the back. LOVE this combo. The Barracudas are kind of pricey and hard to find, but worth it...they're like Minions without the heavy wire bead.
    I run the 2.4 Advantage front and rear. Awesome tire.

Superbman mentioned Nevegals - skip 'em. The Advantage is almost as grippy (which I've come to prefer), has better knobs, and doesn't get shredded in 2 rides. However, I've only ridden the 2.4 version, never the 2.1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smelly,

Yeah-I';ve always made fun of my nevegal riding buddies with their fragile sidewalls-but there's no denying the grip of those stick-E treads!

2.4 advantage huh-sounds good-do they come in multiple compounds (our little protege "the Kid" got himself Maxxis sponsorship this season...)

Liam

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Stick with WTB

I don't get any further west than Douglas State Forest, but I like WTB Mutanoraptor Race tires. Claimed 2.4", probably a bit thinner but 585 grams isn't bad.

There is another Mutano model that is heavier, but cheaper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ok so we all got our favorite tires-maybe it's best just to put out a few guiding principles and try to find tires that match those.

1. Beware of Flimsy sidewall tires (tires that save weight with crappy sidewallls are your enemy out here). Too many sharp rocks and errant branches and the chunky terrain is pinch flat heaven for those on tires with flexy sidewalls. Look for tires with good strong sidewalls (and high volume is a plus).

2. Look for Grippier compounds-while you may not like the velcro feel of the grippiest (sub 50a durometer) compounds-the endemic wet roots and slippery rocks demand more compliance in your treads than a standard racing tire will give you. 70a durometer is just too hard.

3. Go wide, boy. Whatever is the widest tire your frame can handle (or comfortably handle factoring in mud shedding etc) you'll appreciate the bigger tire patch grip, the extra cush (and the lower pressures you can run) and generally (but not absolutely) bigger tires are made for more aggressive riding and often manufacturers will make them a little tougher than their skinnier counterparts.
    These are my guidelines-others will be different-but this has done me well so far!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    ok so we all got our favorite tires-maybe it's best just to put out a few guiding principles and try to find tires that match those.

1. Beware of Flimsy sidewall tires (tires that save weight with crappy sidewallls are your enemy out here). Too many sharp rocks and errant branches and the chunky terrain is pinch flat heaven for those on tires with flexy sidewalls. Look for tires with good strong sidewalls (and high volume is a plus).

2. Look for Grippier compounds-while you may not like the velcro feel of the grippiest (sub 50a durometer) compounds-the endemic wet roots and slippery rocks demand more compliance in your treads than a standard racing tire will give you. 70a durometer is just too hard.

3. Go wide, boy. Whatever is the widest tire your frame can handle (or comfortably handle factoring in mud shedding etc) you'll appreciate the bigger tire patch grip, the extra cush (and the lower pressures you can run) and generally (but not absolutely) bigger tires are made for more aggressive riding and often manufacturers will make them a little tougher than their skinnier counterparts.
    These are my guidelines-others will be different-but this has done me well so far!
    Those are some very some guidelines! Anyone here have any experience with WTB Dissents (kevlar bead)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Smelly,

Yeah-I';ve always made fun of my nevegal riding buddies with their fragile sidewalls-but there's no denying the grip of those stick-E treads!

2.4 advantage huh-sounds good-do they come in multiple compounds (our little protege "the Kid" got himself Maxxis sponsorship this season...)

Liam

I don't come in an array of compounds, just 70A, as far as I know. But there's so much loamy dirt around here that we don't really need soft tires. The knobs are tall enough to flex and give you all the grip you'll need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    I don't come in an array of compounds, just 70A, as far as I know. But there's so much loamy dirt around here that we don't really need soft tires. The knobs are tall enough to flex and give you all the grip you'll need.

It's not the loam I worry about-it's wet rocks and roots that also in abundance around here) I don't mind a little slip and spin from the rear tire-but, in my dotage, I've become awful fond of the grippy-soft front tire security.

mtbr member
    Conti Mountain Kings for the win! Great tires. Rode in the rain yesterday in slippery conditions and the grip really well. I have the supersonic's and they are light as hell. Come in 2.2 and 2.4.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    im running a 2.3 weirwolf .
    After reading the reviews on these I thought I would hate them but somewhere down the road I had gotten one of them and towards the end of last season I needed a new rear tire so on it went. This tire was like velcro. I could carry more speed than I was used to into turns and the rear would just stick to the line it was on. They kind of have a high rolling resistance and this was noticeable on the climbs but most of the time I thought it was worth it for the ride down. The sidewalls seemed plenty strong but I just tossed them in the trash today because all the outer knobs were starting to peel off which is too bad.

As a front tire I've been extremely happy with the Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 in the Stick-E compound. I put a full (3 -4 days per week) season on these last year and they are still looking pretty good this year so they are staying on for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Conti Mountain Kings for the win! Great tires. Rode in the rain yesterday in slippery conditions and the grip really well. I have the supersonic's and they are light as hell. Come in 2.2 and 2.4.

What are the side walls like on the Mountain Kings?

ELM

Jun 2008
    Panaracer Rampage rocks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    What are the side walls like on the Mountain Kings?
    The supersonics are very thin but they seem to be holding up. They also offer a protection version. They are pricey.

Members who have read this thread: 0