Leaf blown trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Leaf blown trails

Hey guys, wanted to get a thread started so we all know where the leaf blown trails are. While not all [or many] of us have gas powered blowers to get out there and clean up, we all can appreciate the hard work! So far i have come across the following in the last week:

Diamond Hill: mostly the jump lines
    Vietnam: Jump lines, DLS, mostly NEMBA land stuff

Please post up if you know of anything else!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Leaf blowing in the PV is popular. So far Deerfield Ridge and CtS have seen a blower. Expect Wendell after next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Leave a few cheap rakes on your trails and encourage others to spend 5-10 minutes raking sections. In that short time you will be surprised how much trail you can clear.
    Voila!
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Nothing in Big River.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Lincoln woods will be blown for the NEMBA ride that's happening on Nov 16th. If you are around make sure you hit it up, its a great ride. Diamond Hill will be TOTALLY blown by end of the week following the LW ride, that is the 10 mile XC loop and the 4 Freeride trails.

mtbr member
    Pittsfield State Forest is all clear

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Leave a few cheap rakes on your trails and encourage others to spend 5-10 minutes raking sections. In that short time you will be surprised how much trail you can clear.
    Voila!
    yup.

fatbikes work awesome for leave packing. been riding the trails by my house (about a one hour singletrack loop) a few days a week as the leaves have been piling up. the fatbike is doing such a great job packing the trails that i prolly won't even bother with clearing the trails. more time to build more and more new trail!

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Lincoln woods will be blown for the NEMBA ride that's happening on Nov 16th. If you are around make sure you hit it up, its a great ride. Diamond Hill will be TOTALLY blown by end of the week following the LW ride, that is the 10 mile XC loop and the 4 Freeride trails.
    While I am gonna try to make the NEMBA ride at Lincoln Woods this weekend, I may have to head back to Diamond Hill instead.. the freeride trails are just too much fun!!

Sutton woods is mostly clear (a little bit of Par 5 was not - but leaves are packed). and much of Goat Hill is clear.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who is out there blowing leaves.

Class Clown
    Just imagine the mystery that lies under the leaves

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp View Post
    While I am gonna try to make the NEMBA ride at Lincoln Woods this weekend, I may have to head back to Diamond Hill instead.. the freeride trails are just too much fun!!

Sutton woods is mostly clear (a little bit of Par 5 was not - but leaves are packed). and much of Goat Hill is clear.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who is out there blowing leaves.

You might want to Hit up the LW ride instead this weekend. We are putting in a 'DH' loop that will have like 4 or 5 DH runs with a reload climb this year in addition to the normal loop. The trails are in perfect shape. Diamond Hill will be cleared out next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was in Lowell/Dracut Monday and a lot of it was cleared.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bump.
    Time to start raking/leaf-blowing the trails...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Or not. Not my idea of good use of trail time. I'd rather be corridor trimming and scouting new lines with the leaves down. I see it as nice but not needed. HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Or not. Not my idea of good use of trail time. I'd rather be corridor trimming and scouting new lines with the leaves down. I see it as nice but not needed. HTFU
    I'm with this guy. There's too much sanitation out there as it is.

mtbr member
    In a few weeks Ludlow will be clean (leaves still up on trees).

Wendall gets blown this week or next?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    HTFU?
    So riding leaf blow trails is soft?

EAT MORE GRIME
    HTFU?
    So riding leaf blow trails is soft?
    soft and [***] a word we cannot use here

mushed down leaves prevent erosion and add to the soil layer on the trail, so in a generic sense, leaf blowing leads to damage that non-leaf blowing won't do

and yes HTFU, ride harder, faster, and 'lighter' and you can handle the hidden crunk under the leaves, or fall down trying

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    soft and [***] a word we cannot use here

mushed down leaves prevent erosion and add to the soil layer on the trail, so in a generic sense, leaf blowing leads to damage that non-leaf blowing won't do

and yes HTFU, ride harder, faster, and 'lighter' and you can handle the hidden crunk under the leaves, or fall down trying
    Oh Please. Not this BS again. It really depends on the soil and conditions, but here in RI the trails we blow regularly stay in great shape year round and are generally speaking faster with more flow. I know, as I built most of them. There are plenty of non- leaf blown trails out there for you self proclaimed 'Hard men' to putz around on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    "and yes HTFU, ride harder, faster, and 'lighter' and you can handle the hidden chunk under the leaves, or fall down trying"

maybe in Willowdale. But climbing vertical rock wallls in Lynn or going down big rollers covered in leaves is no fun.
    I like Scars "rake and broom" idea next to features on trail.

mtbr member
    I guess we all just have different ideas of fun. And that's cool.

Don't get me wrong, I'll ride your leaf blown trails, but only on a special occasion, because the rocky and leafy stuff (freetown) is home sweet home, and right there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Too each their own I guess on this issue. But a cleared trail dries quicker and prevents mud in the spring, instead of holding in moisture in the rotting leaves.
    Lots of trails get blown off naturally, but those that don't, I like to help out a bit.
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh Please. Not this BS again. It really depends on the soil and conditions, but here in RI the trails we blow regularly stay in great shape year round and are generally speaking faster with more flow. I know, as I built most of them. There are plenty of non- leaf blown trails out there for you self proclaimed 'Hard men' to putz around on.
    I would love to sees some science on this for trails in our area. I don't care either way. You just won't find me doing it. For my limited trail work time, I would rather be doing something else. My favorite are the slightly cupped trails with oak leaves over the acorns, sort of like ball bearings. Little steering input needed. Fun indeed.

mdc
    mtbr member
    This year a lot of the trails that we typically leaf blow ( Goat Hill in Uxbridge, Ribbon Candy, Sutton etc.) will most likely NOT get cleaned. These areas have become heavily used and leaves are already resembling fine confette ( sp?). Some of the newer or less traveled trails have already, or most likely will be getting a cleaning.

I also agree that clearing out face slapper branches, overgrown trees, broken bridges and messed up stonewall crossings is just as important. If every rider skipped 1 day riding and did an hour of trail work, I think it would be a VERY good thing....

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    "and yes HTFU, ride harder, faster, and 'lighter' and you can handle the hidden chunk under the leaves, or fall down trying"

maybe in Willowdale. But climbing vertical rock wallls in Lynn or going down big rollers covered in leaves is no fun.
    I like Scars "rake and broom" idea next to features on trail.
    wtf is willowdale ? try to get mid pack strava on all burlington mill pond segments and report back how much you bled out. you can leave your 'flow' home it's all 100% in yo face there

mtbr member
    wtf is willowdale ? try to get mid pack strava on all burlington mill pond segments and report back how much you bled out. you can leave your 'flow' home it's all 100% in yo face there
    You do know Strava times mean nothing right?

Back on topic some places make sense to leaf blow, others not so much. I don't really get the blanket opposition some people have to it, and their HTFU attitude. We all pretty much live in climate controlled houses, have phones, have cars/trucks, some of you pay people to do your yard work, some might do some physical labor themselves, but mention leaf blowing and everyone becomes a F'n hardman. Yeah I get it you think you're a Jedi Master bike skill guy, but don't knock it till you try it. I mean you can always HTFU and go live in a tent all winter, walk everywhere you want to go, and Sh!t in the woods but some things are more enjoyable when you change it up a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    You do know Strava times mean nothing right?

Back on topic some places make sense to leaf blow, others not so much. I don't really get the blanket opposition some people have to it, and their HTFU attitude. We all pretty much live in climate controlled houses, have phones, have cars/trucks, some of you pay people to do your yard work, some might do some physical labor themselves, but mention leaf blowing and everyone becomes a F'n hardman. Yeah I get it you think you're a Jedi Master bike skill guy, but don't knock it till you try it. I mean you can always HTFU and go live in a tent all winter, walk everywhere you want to go, and Sh!t in the woods but some things are more enjoyable when you change it up a bit.
    Dude, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how inaccurate or irrelevant Strava really is. Like you say, certain leaf blown trail is super fun and fast this time of year. It's like a 12"+ dry pow day in the east.

Look, If you don't relish these conditions and this time of year, then there is an extremely good chance your just not capable of carrying enough trial speed to appreciate the unique conditions a freshly leaf blown trail in NE has to offer.

The HTFU statement is a like buying a big diesel truck to compensate for a distinct lack of a certain something.

mtbr member
    Harold Parker is not leaf blown. Someone needs to get off their a$$ and clean that place up!

Who are the brain police?
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp View Post
    Hey guys, wanted to get a thread started so we all know where the leaf blown trails are. While not all [or many] of us have gas powered blowers to get out there and clean up, we all can appreciate the hard work! So far i have come across the following in the last week:

Diamond Hill: mostly the jump lines
    Vietnam: Jump lines, DLS, mostly NEMBA land stuff

Please post up if you know of anything else!
    The leaves add new character to the trails. Don't like them? Maybe goto the source?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    There are few things more enjoyable than really becoming one with nature and taking a dump in the woods. It's primal.

mtbr member
    You know what erodes trails? Riding MTB on them so I guess if some of you are so concerned, stop riding your bikes.

Big props to folks cleaning up the leaves - so much fun riding on dirt this time of year.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

bike dork
    Lincoln Woods is blown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Harold Parker is not leaf blown. Someone needs to get off their a$$ and clean that place up!
    Not at the Brackett Pond end anyway. Was just there yesterday and in some places it looks like people had piled leaves mid trail.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is exactly the sort of information which trailhub.org can easily communicate and even actively alert users once the work is done. Also is a great way to let people know when trails are starting to transition to winter use as winter settles in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    LDT is not blown. PSA - Oak leaves are slick.

mtbr member
    Neither is Otis, and I just matched my effort on my hardtail with a rigid fat bike. Leaves schmeves.

EAT MORE GRIME
    blah blah bah

1) I am not wrong when I say leaving the leaves reduces erosion

but you can go ahead and show me plenty of trails that are blown and raked
    that is fine, whatever. that is not the point.

2) strava times ? my point is don't ride like a puss. that is how I got introduced to mtb, left for dead rides none of the homogenized pre-sliced and packaged easy crap, or raked trails. At the beginning I got dropped fast when caught adjusting my skirt.

3) leaves add character dingdingding we have a winnar. it is a whole new level to rip trails covered in greasy wet leaves

what EVER.....psychopaths like me are immune to leaves. sure it takes more skill and finesse at every turn...but htfu

and that trail, after some leaf grinding by bikes and a nice winter soak and spring thaw, will be rejuvenated with the composted leafy bits from fall

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Lynn Woods on the northern most side was blown early Sunday am, Thank you!!! It was fast and fun. Some guys going out hopefully weds to clear more areas. See you out there.
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Russell Mills isn't cleared

mtbr member
    blah blah bah

2) strava times ? my point is don't ride like a puss. that is how I got introduced to mtb, left for dead rides none of the homogenized pre-sliced and packaged easy crap, or raked trails. At the beginning I got dropped fast when caught adjusting my skirt.

3) leaves add character dingdingding we have a winnar. it is a whole new level to rip trails covered in greasy wet leaves

what EVER.....psychopaths like me are immune to leaves. sure it takes more skill and finesse at every turn...but htfu
    Well heck, I guess I didn't realize how much of a bad ass you really are, I mean with the whole psychotic leaf immunity thing and all.

If you feel like actually backing up all that blustery HTFU BS, here's an event you might not want to miss. Though, there will be a bunch of Puss's there racing on blown trails that you'll prolly consider "homogenized pre-sliced and packaged easy crap" So really, I'm sure It'll be a breeze for a dude with your mad skill set.

https://www.bikereg.com/29500

mtbr member
    I'm intrigued...
    I need to read the -bicycle enduro for dummys- handbook first, as I've only really raced netra enduros.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but an enduro event in the mountain ranges in RI doesn't seem that badass dude.. lol

Just blew some ST in Ludlow.. If any of you guys ride there that is..

BTW- Once the word Strava enters an MTB post it's finished. Just sayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post

That's good, but what was your Strava time while blowing those leaves?

mtbr member
    LOL Excellent sir! REP+!

mtbr member

Leaf blown trails

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I'm sorry but an enduro event in the mountain ranges in RI doesn't seem that badass dude.. lol

BTW- Once the word Strava enters an MTB post it's finished. Just sayin
    Ha! Agreed on the Strava bit. That's why I linked an actual timed event. And not trying to claim Diamond Hill is badass, but you would be surprised at the terrain there considering it is little Rhody. Plenty of vert and challenging downhill stuff to run a legit enduro, though it will have to be creatively routed and the stages will surely be shorter than the average race. Anyway, the place should be blown by next week so it's worth checking out if you've never been to Diamond Hill.

mtbr member
    I rode the Landlocked Forest today and the high traffic it gets there packed all the leaves down. Trails are in excellent shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Rode HP last weekend and those dry Oak leaves are like wax paper. Took some good wipe outs without warning. That place is a notch tougher with leaves on the rocks. I couldn't clear some of my regular lines.

I prefer the rocky trails without leaves. Anything on the north shore getting blown off?

Not Mass, but anyone know if Ft Rock gets blown?

mtbr member
    GTF got blown off a couple of weeks ago. Personally I wish they just left it alone, but as of last weekend most of the leaves are back again anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Billerica is blown.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

EAT MORE GRIME
    wow found this old post and looking at what I wrote earlier
    I have to laugh at myself

I guess I am hard. real hard.

hard enough that when I see wet leaves covering
    up and hiding the trail I look forward to the new experience of riding the same
    old crap but with a new danger level and requirement for better body English
    and smoother control and power output. in other words, learning...adjusting, adapting.

that's what that means. hard. interpret it how you want.
    1) difficult
    2) don't mind wrecking... it's my fault not the leaves fault
    3) with enough actual riding, the leaves smooth out and the trail comes back to be visible, no raking needed
    4) oh look leaves divert and slow down water whodathunk it

that is what I mean by hard.
    I am not scared and don't take the crusts off my bread either

I just a regular dude who rides whatever the trail has on it at the time.
    except poop. I am not that hard. that is another level of hard I do not wish
    to attain.

Go Bruins!
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post

Not Mass, but anyone know if Ft Rock gets blown?
    The Exeter Conservation Commission does not allow leaf blowing at FR anymore. I rode most of the Oaklands today which is North side of 101 and most of the trails had a good leaf pack with a defined singletrack. However, Hillzilla (aka: The Demoralizer)
    was nearly unrideable with the amount of Oak leaves.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Was just looking for some info, not debate.

mtbr member

Leaf blown trails

wow found this old post and looking at what I wrote earlier
    I have to laugh at myself

I guess I am hard. real hard.

hard enough that when I see wet leaves covering
    up and hiding the trail I look forward to the new experience of riding the same
    old crap but with a new danger level and requirement for better body English
    and smoother control and power output. in other words, learning...adjusting, adapting.

that's what that means. hard. interpret it how you want.
    1) difficult
    2) don't mind wrecking... it's my fault not the leaves fault
    3) with enough actual riding, the leaves smooth out and the trail comes back to be visible, no raking needed
    4) oh look leaves divert and slow down water whodathunk it

that is what I mean by hard.
    I am not scared and don't take the crusts off my bread either

I just a regular dude who rides whatever the trail has on it at the time.
    except poop. I am not that hard. that is another level of hard I do not wish
    to attain.
    Wow. Cool story. I also looked back upon what you wrote last year and lolzzzzze'd.

And congrats for being such a hard fella!

Here's the thing tho. There are plenty of flat trails for you to ride that go unblown brother. No need to login to mtbr and tell the rest of us how we are all a bunch of Puss's for blowing them off. And once again congrats on those mad skills it requires to ride your unblown trail. I really can't imagine what that's like!

1. Blahblahblahblahhhh
    2. Blahhhhhblahblahblahblah
    3. Blalahahahaablablah
    4. Bullshi+. Leaves do not 'divert water' and blowing doesn't 'cause more erosion' or any other asinine argument your ilk likes to use about leaf blowing damaging trails. I know because I've built and maintained more trail than you.

For anyone looking at this thread wondering about leaf blown trail:

Diamond Hill had been blown for the enduro and still should be decent.

The Lincoln Woods nemba funride is happening this Sunday and should be mostly blown trail. LW is just awesome after a fresh blowing. It's super fast and tacky, best dirt of the year.
    Last edited by elsinore; 11-18-2016 at 06:04 AM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Wow. Cool story. I also looked back upon what you wrote last year and lolzzzzze'd.

And congrats for being such a hard fella!

Here's the thing tho. There are plenty of flat trails for you to ride that go unblown brother. No need to login to mtbr and tell the rest of us how we are all a bunch of Puss's for blowing them off. And once again congrats on those mad skills it requires to ride your unblown trail. I really can't imagine what that's like!

1. Blahblahblahblahhhh
    2. Blahhhhhblahblahblahblah
    3. Blalahahahaablablah
    4. Bullshi+. Leaves do not 'divert water' and blowing doesn't 'cause more erosion' or any other asinine argument your ilk likes to use about leaf blowing damaging trails. I know because I've built and maintained more trail than you.

For anyone looking at this thread wondering about leaf blown trail:

Diamond Hill had been blown for the enduro and still should be decent.

The Lincoln Woods nemba funride is happening this Sunday and should be mostly blown trail. LW is just awesome after a fresh blowing. It's super fast and tacky, best dirt of the year.
    I have 66 acres of custom gnar trail at my cabin in Maine that disagrees with your statements but whatever

mtbr member
    I have 66 acres of custom gnar trail at my cabin in Maine that disagrees with your statements but whatever
    Sure thing guy. How many people have ridden your 66 acres of 'gnar'?
    Because thousands have ridden and raced on the miles and miles of trails we've been blowing consistently and it's been what has helped keep things running smoothly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Threads about leaf blowing and sissy braids get people about as fired up as discussing the current political situation!

mtbr member
    Facing Rock Ludlow will get blown next week....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Leaf blown trails last weekend probably would mean I'd be riding this weekend instead of nursing a bruised/broken rib. Oof!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Hey, why don't YOU get off YOUR a$$, tough guy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stop leaf blowing trails, just ride them and grind up those leaves into dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Stop leaf blowing trails, just ride them and grind up those leaves into dirt.
    I swear, It never ends. And here I was shocked with our President elect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Let's table the rhetoric folks.

Russell Mill is blown, tacky, and amazing as of yesterday. Finally got to check out the BSF trails too which weren't blown but amazing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    Leaf blown trails last weekend probably would mean I'd be riding this weekend instead of nursing a bruised/broken rib. Oof!
    So, you didn't clear the trails and are blaming yourself? Or were just waiting for someone else to do it? Rode Friday on a perfect day, dry over wet leaves, no rocks at all. Can't see 'em means there aren't there. Way fun power sliding. Heal up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, you didn't clear the trails and are blaming yourself? Or were just waiting for someone else to do it? Rode Friday on a perfect day, dry over wet leaves, no rocks at all. Can't see 'em means there aren't there. Way fun power sliding. Heal up.
    Just *****ing because I can't ride, it's new england, I expect the trails to be leafy (also, thought it wasn't allowed to use a leaf blower or any power equipment in the fells?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I may have come off as too harsh. I know there are some chainsaw regulations. Not sure about leaf blowers there. GB Nemba might have some info. Would want to check with them before use.

mtbr member
    I was looking for some technical riding where they at least blow off the rocky higher risk portions. Leaves on flowy trails don't seem to make any difference. Rode in Ft Rock on Saturday and stayed away from the Demoralizer. Other than losing the trail a few times and slowing down it wasn't that bad. My favorite stuff at HP won't be as fun to me with the leaves on the rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HP? More funner. It's part of nature in the woods, over time they will pack down and disperse. And snow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did HP on Saturday, did a Yellow to Black Ops Lock N Load loop to and from Jenkins. The leaves made things quite interesting, it was more finesse than hammer through ride, still fun though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Let's table the rhetoric folks.

Russell Mill is blown, tacky, and amazing as of yesterday. Finally got to check out the BSF trails too which weren't blown but amazing.
    RM was riding awesome this past weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    I was looking for some technical riding where they at least blow off the rocky higher risk portions. Leaves on flowy trails don't seem to make any difference. Rode in Ft Rock on Saturday and stayed away from the Demoralizer. Other than losing the trail a few times and slowing down it wasn't that bad. My favorite stuff at HP won't be as fun to me with the leaves on the rocks.
    They who? Just bring your leaf blower and clear 2' wide.

bike dork
    Lincoln Woods is riding great. Thanks to the jerks that leaf blow every year!

This debate is always an entertaining shitshow, isn't it? A bunch of well off folks sniping each other on the interwebs about the sanctity of trails and their natural, or unnatural, state. Thing is, trails by their "nature" are not natural. Neither are roads, or railroads, or canals or ski trails. Yet all these require maintenance. If you build a trail take care of it, however it makes sense in your neck of the woods. Clear leaves when they trap water and cause erosion. Or leave them and wait until they pack and fall apart and get cleared off the hardpack below (because that's what a proper trail will be in most of southern NE - hardpack) via wind, human activity or rain.

Not to go all Bill Nye on our resident armchair geologists, but leaves don't turn into dirt. They help form the organic matter component of said dirt and/or soil. Facts may be dead in 2016 and all, but please educate yourselves while you still can and the re-education camps are being built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil

Anyways, have fun out there and be safe.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Wish someone mentioned Lynn weeks ago. Thanks. Maybe it will dry be there again this year.