Kenneth Dubuque State Forest- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Kenneth Dubuque State Forest

Hey Gang,
    Anyone have a GPS map of where the singletrack is at this place.
    Going to be doing some ww rafting and ziplining over Columbus Day weekend and hoping to do some riding out there as well.

Thanx!
    ~Frank

www.nemba.org
    www.ragemtb.com
    www.jracycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If anyone does have a gps MAP, I hope they keep it to themselves.

Post up again-a lot of locals ride here-you'll be able to find someone to show you the goods.

There was a shop ride there this morning in fact...

mtbr member
    No one should have a gps map of that place, 'cuz it's well known that there's no singletrack in Hawley.

No-sireee, no trails a'tall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well Smelly
    If there are no singletrack trails in hawely state forest,,,Then i must have been riding on roads last wed. There is a ton of trails in Hawely and i will be GLAD to show you around unlike other people on here . I also have a GPS map of area as soon as i unload it.
    People should understand Hawely State Forest is NOT area 51, It is a state forest and open to any and all people, hikers, mt.bikers, etc.
    When other mt. bikers won't and don't tell others mt.bikers about trails they might as well be a ROADIE, that attitude does not belong in the mt. bike culture and not helping futher the sport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

No good

To superbman,
    or should i say notsuperbman,
    Way to go to futher the sport by not wanting anyone to share any gps maps.
    you should remember HAWLEY STATE FOREST is not your personel riding area.
    Maybe you should take up the stuck up world of road riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletech
    Well Smelly
    If there are no singletrack trails in hawely state forest,,,Then i must have been riding on roads last wed. There is a ton of trails in Hawely and i will be GLAD to show you around unlike other people on here . I also have a GPS map of area as soon as i unload it.
    People should understand Hawely State Forest is NOT area 51, It is a state forest and open to any and all people, hikers, mt.bikers, etc.
    When other mt. bikers won't and don't tell others mt.bikers about trails they might as well be a ROADIE, that attitude does not belong in the mt. bike culture and not helping futher the sport.
    I completely agree with you bicycletech. I am also putting it out for ANYBODY who wishes to get to know the trails out there. I would be happy to show you around. To all you A**HOLES who don't want to help out fellow mountain bikers why don't you stick to your lame-ass nemba group rides and leave the real mountain biking to the rest of us, or like bicycletech suggested, buy a f*cking road bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Ok, let's try this again:

Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Post up again - a lot of locals ride here-you'll be able to find someone to show you the goods.
    So who didn't tell him anything? All Liam said was that he should find a guide, not a GPS file. Frank was not discouraged from riding there - others were discouraged from posting GPS files. In fact, Liam encouraged Frank to ride there (suggesting he post again), and predicted that someone would come along and offer to show Frank around. In this case, a pair of angry people with poor reading skills have volunteered. So, uh, good job proving Liam right.

My comment pertained to a long running joke by the builders and maintainers of the Hawley trail system. I believe it's their request that GPS files not be released. But maybe things have changed and I'm wrong about that. Being as you gentlemen are experts in the ways of the mountain biker, I'm surprised you don't know it's common mountain biking etiquette to respect the wishes of the trailbuilder. That's why we made comments about how publicizing GPS files are discouraged.
    Last edited by smelly; 10-03-2010 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Exactly,

Just like I wrote-Find a local guide (or a shop ride-as I said, there was one last weekend!).

Every area is different-I had nothing to do with the creation of singletrack in the greater Charlemont region-but I have a ton of respect for those who did--so I honor their wishes and learned to enjoy the trails in those regions without a GPS.

I'm not sure what the source of discontent is with Bikeharder and Biketech-You guys should BE THE LOCAL GUIDES and offer to Take Ragerider on a tour-let him know the local vibe, and get him to appreciate the local trails and respect them the same way you do (you do respect and enjoy the local trails,right?). I've given dozens of local tours to visitors over the years (most who contacted through this forum). And have led more rides of more areas than anyone I can think of.

Look, I personally built close to 20 miles of single track (along with the other Amish three ) in central franklin county--much of which I'm sure even Bike Tech and Bike-harder enjoy.

I work year-long to maintain those miles and probably around another 15 miles or so in quality single track. Now, most of the trails I'm personally involved with are well-known, and already appear on excepted state/county/ town maps. I ask that people respect the trails, clean-up occasional dead fall as they ride along, and don't attempt to sanitize the trail away from the intention of the original builders.

Because I get how much time and effort goes into creating the mountain biking opportunities around here, I go out of my way to respect the nature of each riding area and to really understand what is at stake in each area....really, posting GPS of Dubuque is a bad thing, PM me and we'll chat about it). A lot of personal blood, sweat, diplomacy and vision goes into every inch of the superlative riding in this region. A lot of hard working local crews keep it up to snuff-Is it really such a hard thing to respect the low-key nature of some spots (and celebrate the well-publicized nature of others)?

To Bikeharder and Bike tech, refrain from the cowardly on-line name calling. I don't hide behind any mask of anonymity. My name is Liam, I live just up the road from Hatfield and I'd be happy to meet either or both of you for a ride anywhere-I mean that, too-just for ride. PM if you got the stones.

Liam

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Exactly,

Just like I wrote-Find a local guide (or a shop ride-as I said, there was one last weekend!).

Every area is different-I had nothing to do with the creation of singletrack in the greater Charlemont region-but I have a ton of respect for those who did--so I honor their wishes and learned to enjoy the trails in those regions without a GPS.

I'm not sure what the source of discontent is with Bikeharder and Biketech-You guys should BE THE LOCAL GUIDES and offer to Take Ragerider on a tour-let him know the local vibe, and get him to appreciate the local trails and respect them the same way you do (you do respect and enjoy the local trails,right?). I've given dozens of local tours to visitors over the years (most who contacted through this forum). And have led more rides of more areas than anyone I can think of.

Look, I personally built close to 20 miles of single track (along with the other Amish three ) in central franklin county--much of which I'm sure even Bike Tech and Bike-harder enjoy.

I work year-long to maintain those miles and probably around another 15 miles or so in quality single track. Now, most of the trails I'm personally involved with are well-known, and already appear on excepted state/county/ town maps. I ask that people respect the trails, clean-up occasional dead fall as they ride along, and don't attempt to sanitize the trail away from the intention of the original builders.

Because I get how much time and effort goes into creating the mountain biking opportunities around here, I go out of my way to respect the nature of each riding area and to really understand what is at stake in each area....really, posting GPS of Dubuque is a bad thing, PM me and we'll chat about it). A lot of personal blood, sweat, diplomacy and vision goes into every inch of the superlative riding in this region. A lot of hard working local crews keep it up to snuff-Is it really such a hard thing to respect the low-key nature of some spots (and celebrate the well-publicized nature of others)?

To Bikeharder and Bike tech, refrain from the cowardly on-line name calling. I don't hide behind any mask of anonymity. My name is Liam, I live just up the road from Hatfield and I'd be happy to meet either or both of you for a ride anywhere-I mean that, too-just for ride. PM if you got the stones.

Liam
    ALL HAIL THE MOUNTAIN BIKING GODS LIAM AND SMELLY!!!!
    I had a GREAT day at work and I'm in just the right mood for dealing with you two! So here it goes: Smelly, I had no idea that the builders of Hawley did not want GPS posted and I don't really think that was said by anybody, so nice try. By the way, you can rest assured, I don't use GPS when I ride anyway, although plenty of people do, i.e. bicycletech.
    Liam, I also have built many miles of singletrack, long before singletrack was even a word. But unlike you, I don't feel it nessesary to brag about it. I only mention it here because it pertains to this conversation. Plus nobody, I mean NOBODY, knows more about building singltrack and then watching it get destroyed by four wheelers and dirt bikers and dare I say, other mountain bikers than I do. But I don't *****, I just rebuild it and keep riding. When you mention hard working locals crews, you're probably talking about ME!
    As far as your crack about me being a coward, I don't give a **** if you know who I am or not, and I have a feeling you know who I am anyway, so who's really the coward?
    "If I have the stones"? Really? I mean who still uses that term? But regarding that, I've been riding and racing most of my life, so I don't have to prove **** to you or anybody else.
    And finally Mr. Smelly, in regards to your comment about me being angry and not a good reader, I have so many responses to that, but they can all be summed up with **** YOU!

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Everyone calm down. Calm down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    I had a GREAT day at work and I'm in just the right mood for dealing with you two! So here it goes: Smelly, I had no idea that the builders of Hawley did not want GPS posted and I don't really think that was said by anybody, so nice try. By the way, you can rest assured, I don't use GPS when I ride anyway, although plenty of people do, i.e. bicycletech.
    Liam, I also have built many miles of singletrack, long before singletrack was even a word. But unlike you, I don't feel it nessesary to brag about it. I only mention it here because it pertains to this conversation. Plus nobody, I mean NOBODY, knows more about building singltrack and then watching it get destroyed by four wheelers and dirt bikers and dare I say, other mountain bikers than I do. But I don't *****, I just rebuild it and keep riding. When you mention hard working locals crews, you're probably talking about ME!
    As far as your crack about me being a coward, I don't give a **** if you know who I am or not, and I have a feeling you know who I am anyway, so who's really the coward?
    "If I have the stones"? Really? I mean who still uses that term? But regarding that, I've been riding and racing most of my life, so I don't have to prove **** to you or anybody else.
    And finally Mr. Smelly, in regards to your comment about me being angry and not a good reader, I have so many responses to that, but they can all be summed up with **** YOU!
    Now there is a reasonable reaction, responding to a couple eloquently worded responses by Liam and Smelly with an ignorant, profanity-laced, barely comprehensible rant.

They never once discouraged anyone from riding the trails. In fact, they encouraged the OP to hook up with a local. But plastering info up all over the internet is a different story. As was mentioned above, you should probably work on your reading skills, although I'm sure swearing and acting like a tough guy on the internet makes you feel like a bigger man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So after all that ranting do you have the stones or what? Was that your singletrack I was riding my fourwheeler on? He was surely not bragging just informing and enlightening you. So keep building singletrack(thanks for coming up with that word. it's been very helpful) and I will keep riding on it. So thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanliam
    So after all that ranting do you have the stones or what? Was that your singletrack I was riding my fourwheeler on? He was surely not bragging just informing and enlightening you. So keep building singletrack(thanks for coming up with that word. it's been very helpful) and I will keep riding on it. So thanks.
    I'm really worried why all you pvnemba pricks are so worried about my"stones" And yea, it most likely was you who was ripping up some sweet singletrack, nice job d*ckhead! You a**holes have the nerve to preach to me about trail respect and then you post how you ripped up trail on your fourwheeler?!!! Real nice riding buddies you got there Liam!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bikeharder36]ALL HAIL THE MOUNTAIN BIKING GODS LIAM AND SMELLY!!!!
    /QUOTE]

Nice seeing someone finally giving us our due. Thanks!

mtbr member
    WOW

Just wow.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm really worried why all you pvnemba pricks are so worried about my"stones" And yea, it most likely was you who was ripping up some sweet singletrack, nice job d*ckhead! You a**holes have the nerve to preach to me about trail respect and then you post how you ripped up trail on your fourwheeler?!!! Real nice riding buddies you got there Liam!
    Boy , You must be really worked up by this point. You couldn't tell I was joking? Would be hard fitting my fourwheeler in that perfectly built singletrack you have created. And I am not a pvnemba prick just a plain old jorba prick. He has the nicest, best looking, charming, friends around. That should be clear by the people speaking up in his behalf. Making it crystal clear that no one person has spoken up in yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanliam
    Boy , You must be really worked up by this point. You couldn't tell I was joking? Would be hard fitting my fourwheeler in that perfectly built singletrack you have created. And I am not a pvnemba prick just a plain old jorba prick. He has the nicest, best looking, charming, friends around. That should be clear by the people speaking up in his behalf. Making it crystal clear that no one person has spoken up in yours.
    Don't bother me now, prick, I'm tuning my bike. Getting ready to night ride Hawley, if that's ok with you, that is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    C'mon Man! My 12 year old reads this forum. Relax! I'm sure you're all great guys that are after the same thing. Put "The Egos" in the back pocket for the time, admit you are all wrong in the way you handled/misunderstood each other and get back to the reality of why we are all on this forum in the first place.

And thanks for all the hard work that all of you guys have done to make it possible for me to enjoy the "singletrack" with my 12 year old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Ok, let's try this again:

So who didn't tell him anything? All Liam said was that he should find a guide, not a GPS file. Frank was not discouraged from riding there - others were discouraged from posting GPS files. In fact, Liam encouraged Frank to ride there (suggesting he post again), and predicted that someone would come along and offer to show Frank around. In this case, a pair of angry people with poor reading skills have volunteered. So, uh, good job proving Liam right.

My comment pertained to a long running joke by the builders and maintainers of the Hawley trail system. I believe it's their request that GPS files not be released. But maybe things have changed and I'm wrong about that. Being as you gentlemen are experts in the ways of the mountain biker, I'm surprised you don't know it's common mountain biking etiquette to respect the wishes of the trailbuilder. That's why we made comments about how publicizing GPS files are discouraged.

BRAVO Chaz! We all appreciate your command of the written word. It is, however, unfortunate that you had to be so explicit with stating obvious (and usually understood) MTB etiquette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Now this is entertainment! I propose an e group-hug all around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't bother me now, prick, I'm tuning my bike. Getting ready to night ride Hawley, if that's ok with you, that is.
    Night riding , is that legal? By the way where did you park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerider
    Hey Gang,
    Anyone have a GPS map of where the singletrack is at this place.
    Going to be doing some ww rafting and ziplining over Columbus Day weekend and hoping to do some riding out there as well.

Thanx!
    ~Frank

www.nemba.org
    www.ragemtb.com
    www.jracycles.com

Frank, I'll be around Monday - perhaps Matt, Jeff and I can give you a Hawley Tour starting at 10:00. PM if you want.

Ride is ON. We're riding to Celebrate Matt's 21st Birthday. Festivities to follow somewhere in the valley.

Hope you can join us.
    Last edited by hado_pv; 10-07-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I feel I have to put in my 2 cents. I am one of the original (mid-80's) mtb riders, trail builders & trail maintainers in Hawley. We locals have always felt it should be a place without a map. Too much of the world is mapped now - what ever happened to our sense of exploration and adventure? Isn't that part of mountain biking? Don't carry your courage in your rucksack. Just get out and poke around, explore, maybe get lost, then find yourself. The state DCR has a good map on-line. Its shows all the major roads and many of the trails. With that in hand, you won't get too lost. Other trails which are there can generally be found easily enough.

There is a lot to be said for respecting the wishes of the locals who do 95% of the trail work. They do the work, you enjoy their efforts. At the very least you should consider respecting the nature and local "flavor and traditions" of a place. That's the least you should do. The most you should do is step up to the plate and do some trail maintenance yourself. Bring your folding saw, hike in carrying a heavy chainsaw to cut blow downs. If you like to ride in a particular place, please pay back to the mtb community by getting off your bike occasionally and doing some trail work. It will be appreciated by everyone, but especially by the locals who usually end up doing most all the needed maintenance. Thanks for listening.