Jiminy Peak Riding- Mtbr.com
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006

Jiminy Peak Riding

So Ive been snowboarding at Jiminy for 13 years and never went mountain biking there. My question is this: what type of bike is best for their trails. Right now I have my Haro Sonix that I built with around 5in of travel through a Revalation Team fork and Monarch 4.2 shock. Is this enough bike or should I invest in a DH/FR rig. I have watched a couple vids of mtbing at Jiminy and the trails dont look like anything my Haro couldnt handle. But then again video can be deceiving.

mtbr member
    You can come down Jiminy on just about anything but to really enjoy it you'll need something a little bigger and burlier. Your sonix would be better suited to the XC trails off the back of the mt. which in my opinion are much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    XC trails off the back of Jiminy? Are you talking about the snowmobile trails, or are they purpose-built mtb trails?

Can you share some details, please? Links to maps, strava tracks, etc? This sounds really cool and I'd love to check it out (next year, at this point). Thanks!
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    You can come down Jiminy on just about anything but to really enjoy it you'll need something a little bigger and burlier. Your sonix would be better suited to the XC trails off the back of the mt. which in my opinion are much better.
    Ok thanks. Id be interested in more info on the xc trails too. But it also give me an excuse to buid another bike too:>

mtbr member
    the trail system is accessed off the back side of the Mt a short distance down the OHV trails. Most of them have been segmented in strava. An additional 20ish miles of single track can be accessed a short distance over at the Pittsfield State Forest over the Sky line OHV trail or lower down Potter Mt via the Balanced Rock Trail. PSF trails are all sanctioned and segmented in strava. If you're coming out to the area PM me and we'll set up some sort of tour.
    Last edited by screamingbunny; 12-03-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correction

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    cool sounds good. Im looking at possibly building up a kona stinky or coiler. I am kinda leaning toward the stinky so i can use it at other mountains as my dh bike and use my haro as my trail bike. I have to decide whether to go dc boxxer or sc totom/lryik...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Most of the trails at jiminy are fast and pretty steep...I ride my full dh rig at the mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Grab a used DH sled from a few years ago. Anything 2008 plus is going to be pretty decent.

Jiminy's trail are extremely steep on the rider's right side of the mountain. Like the steepest you've ever ridden sort of stuff. There aren't many places that are worse. Also, the trails sometimes get beat up, especially with heavy rain, so having some decent suspension travel is good. Big brakes are an absolute must.

Otherwise, you can ride it on practically anything, but going fast and maintaining control is going to be a problem on the haro.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    I actually just picked up a mint Session 7 and am currently debating what fork to put on it. I am selling the Float 36 that was on it for either a lyrik or totem. Looking forward to trying it out in the spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Isn't the 36 pretty comparable to anything from RS?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Isn't the 36 pretty comparable to anything from RS?
    Yeah but it's the 36r version so only rebound and air pressure adjustment. I would like compression high/low adjustment and I'm more of a rock shox guy. I like rock shox for their simplicity and easy maintenance.

mtbr member

Visiting Berkshires from South Africa

Please post images or vids or links to local trails to give us an idea of what your trails are about.

Angela and I are looking for intermediate level trails and need to plan our trip to max out on good times. We'll be staying in Lenox

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Green View Post
    Please post images or vids or links to local trails to give us an idea of what your trails are about.

Angela and I are looking for intermediate level trails and need to plan our trip to max out on good times. We'll be staying in Lenox
    I would make a new thread with maybe a little more info about what kind of riding your looking to do, and when. You might be better doing some skiing if it's any time soon.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I would make a new thread with maybe a little more info about what kind of riding your looking to do, and when. You might be better doing some skiing if it's any time soon.
    I'll start a new thread. We'll be in the area late June, early July.

Regarding snow - it doesn't snow here in Johannesburg so skiing will have to be bucket listed for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Shouldn't have to worry about snow by then!
    Just mosquities.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.