I need hills- Mtbr.com

Thread: I need hills

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I need hills

I'm looking for some larger climbs and longer, steep descents.

I've only ridden vietnam, shattuck/noon hill, and adams farm. Where can I get 2000+ feet of climbing with some longer downhills?

Vietnam is fun of course, but it super flat and slow. Appreciate working the technical stuff and I've got a long way to go there but I find myself longing for a 1000 ft slog and bomb session.

Blue Hills? Or do I need to go west / north?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    I'm looking for some larger climbs and longer, steep descents.

I've only ridden vietnam, shattuck/noon hill, and adams farm. Where can I get 2000+ feet of climbing with some longer downhills?

Vietnam is fun of course, but it super flat and slow. Appreciate working the technical stuff and I've got a long way to go there but I find myself longing for a 1000 ft slog and bomb session.

Blue Hills? Or do I need to go west / north?

Mount Wachusett barely hits 2k ft at its peak. That's measured to sea level though, it's only about 1k feet in vertical drop to the base. Highland bike park is only ~600ft. Thunder Mountain is ~1000 ft. Killington gets you to 2k, though I have no idea if there are trails to shuttle up or not. Mount Monadnock is one of the tallest "mountains" that's "local" and it barely hits 2k of vertical. We just don't have the big mountain vertical here in the Northeast that exists out west.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Mount Wachusett barely hits 2k ft at its peak. That's measured to sea level though, it's only about 1k feet in vertical drop to the base. Highland bike park is only ~600ft. Thunder Mountain is ~1000 ft. Killington gets you to 2k, though I have no idea if there are trails to shuttle up or not. Mount Monadnock is one of the tallest "mountains" that's "local" and it barely hits 2k of vertical. We just don't have the big mountain vertical here in the Northeast that exists out west.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Like 2000ft of climbing in a 2 hour ride... So like a couple big climb/descend runs. And by west I meant Wachusett or Berkshires not Colorado.

Is Wachusett/highland /TM still rideable on wheels at this time of year?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Like 2000ft of climbing in a 2 hour ride... So like a couple big climb/descend runs. And by west I meant Wachusett or Berkshires not Colorado.

Is Wachusett/highland /TM still rideable on wheels at this time of year?

Gotcha, sorry. Wachusett doesn't have any bike trails. I just threw that out there since it's one of the biggest peaks in the eastern half of MA. I believe Highland is closed for the year. I would imagine TM is as well. Sorry

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Well that got me watching some Highland videos... Place looks amazing but it (obviously) a groomed bike park.

I just want to earn my turns, get a little flow, don't need anything as awesome as that bike park.

I'll keep riding around the city and hopefully venture into northern NE and western MA more in the spring.

Is Blue Hills worth a shot?

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Leominster state Forest cane get you close to the 20 mile/2k numbers. Town of Groton can come close too, tho it's not the easiest to navigate. Pearl Hill in Townsend too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Batchelor St/Earls can easily put you over 2k with some long descents.

Charlemont Trails above the Warfield House in the Berkshires sounds like something you'd like too. ESC uses some of the trails over there for the Enduros. Can't wait to get back out there in the Spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Eastern MA has lots of ridges and small hills, repeat as needed. Bear Brook comes to mind. Enjoy what we have to ride instead of trying to find stuff that's not around here? KT has lots of climbing. Lots of other places in VT as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k2blt View Post
    Batchelor St/Earls can easily put you over 2k with some long descents.

Charlemont Trails above the Warfield House in the Berkshires sounds like something you'd like too. ESC uses some of the trails over there for the Enduros. Can't wait to get back out there in the Spring.
    Batchelor St/Earls, judging by the NEMBA site, seems exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

This is it, right? https://www.nemba.org/trails/massach...nge-state-park

As an aside... What are you guys using for trail maps? Strava, trail forks, mtb project, etc?

mtbr member
    The Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin are carved into the side of the mountain. You're either climbing or descending there. It's about a three hour car ride. Www.stabvt.org.

Second vote for Charlemont trails north of Route 2. Lots and lots of climbing.

I'm on the North Shore. Nothing around here with sustained climbs/descents. I poked through Strava segments a bit and couldn't find anything more than 117 ft ascent.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just thought of one I've ridden! Wendell SF near Erving. Quite a bit of climbing. Strava segments show KOMs over 15 minutes.

Check out Hannah Swarton and Damon Camp trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Batchelor St/Earls, judging by the NEMBA site, seems exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

This is it, right? https://www.nemba.org/trails/massach...nge-state-park

As an aside... What are you guys using for trail maps? Strava, trail forks, mtb project, etc?

I think youíd be better off using All Trails if you want singletracks. - GJSnow

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Eastern MA has lots of ridges and small hills, repeat as needed. Bear Brook comes to mind. Enjoy what we have to ride instead of trying to find stuff that's not around here? KT has lots of climbing. Lots of other places in VT as well.
    Cuz I wanna go fast!

Kidding - I will certainly enjoy the Eastern MA trails. Vietnam will keep me busy with tech skills forever, it's challenging in a new way for me. It's very flat though.

Sometimes I want to climb, I mean really grind, and feel like I'm conquering something, then bomb down. Seems like this stuff exists in west/central mass, NH and vt, just not near Boston.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A couple words of advice from my former road racing days - Hill Repeats.

mtbr member
    Berkshires, 2 trails in Pittsfield State Forest alone, Honolulu 1000 ft in 3 miles and turner is about the same in a mile and a half, both can be ridden on the same ride. Knocked out 1200 ft this morning before work in Kennedy Park/Lenox Mt. We use Trail Forks around here
    Last edited by screamingbunny; 12-30-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2009191979
    That ride includes Earls and Batchelor Street. Super fun trails with some flow and tech.
    Last edited by craig2007; 12-31-2018 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Link is not showing up. Will try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Further west or North West you go, the better...or North and North East into NH....

Sustained Hills in MA:

1. CTS Greater Charlemont, MA (Warfield/ Zoar/ T-Mountain)...to make it Epic throw in:
    2. Dubuque (Hawley) SF
    3. Pittsfield State Forest
    4. Yokun Ridge/ Lennox mountain/ Kennedy park-Lenox, MA... Find a ride called the Finger on Trail Forks and let us know if that has enough climbing )
    5.October Mountain
    6. DAR SF Goshen: Good trails, quite a few sustained tech climbs if you ride it right
    7. Earl's and B Street (Amherst/ Hadley/ Granby): Though it doesn't feel like, Earl's tends to serve up more vert than B-Street
    8. Wendell SF: Actually, it's not as much vertical as it feels like...but that's the rub, you'll certainly feel like you went uphill a lot, though your Strava will say otherwise. But it's hilly. To really work the vert you'd need to explore the south side: Robert Frost Trail and old and older M&M trails.
    9. Oh, and the trails of Greater Petersham, actually those are some of the best clips in MA...hardest, too

mdc
    mtbr member
    hmmm- How about Lincoln Woods in RI? ( yes RI) The typical XC loop around the pond will get you around 700 ft or so, but once you start playing around ( ie pedaling up, ripping down, pedaling up, ripping down etc etc) on the more DH specific trails its easy to add on another 1000 ft or so.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by craig2007 View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2009191979
    That ride includes Earls and Batchelor Street. Super fun trails with some flow and tech.
    Awesome, thanks. Sick bike!

mtbr member

Is Blue Hills worth a shot?

Yes - easily do 1000ft+ elevation per 10 miles at Blue Hills

Here's the 4 climbs/decents I like to do
    Tucker Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/4676405
    Great Blue (Coon Hollow) https://www.strava.com/segments/4676175
    Buck Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/7241054
    Hemenway Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/7543766

mtbr member
    Fuzzy,

I ride 20 mile loops here in Medfield and average about 1400 feet of climbing. You can do more climbing, but there just arenít the monster hills to bomb down.

Let me know if youíd like to see local trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Fuzzy,

I ride 20 mile loops here in Medfield and average about 1400 feet of climbing. You can do more climbing, but there just arenít the monster hills to bomb down.

Let me know if youíd like to see local trails.

Def would.

Edit: You're not accepting PMs, btw. I got yours tho.

mtbr member
    Must be my settings. I use Tapatalk mainly. Will need to go to my computer.

Will do shortly.

mtbr member
    +1 on Blue Hills. By far your best Boston area option for good vertical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Regular trail riding around the Leominster area ends up around 100'/mile. Midstate trail gives you a bit more.

Mt Wachusett, you are only allowed on the paved road. They lose their shit about bikes there.

Mt Watatic is good for feeling you like you climbed something substantial on dirt.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/364...atic-access-rd

Starting around May, Highland Mt does Wednesduro weekly.
    https://www.highlandmountain.com/wed...ding-highland/
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Any of the trail systems in western ma will have plenty of climbs. Nothing super long just up and down up and down.

mtbr member
    Diamond Hill in northern RI - climb up twice and you'll get close to 2,000' in under 17 miles.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Goat Hill in Uxbridge/ Northbridge will get you just at 2k if you do Goat and Badlands. Plus you get some good downhill runs and tech mixed in with some great flow.

mtbr member
    You seem to be into the opposite of what i'm into so i can recommend where i avoid; Mt Agamenticus (Mt A) in York ME. Pawtuckaway in NH has a lot climbing in it too. Mt A has three big hills on the North side and more riding across the road in the "watershed" area. I can't imagine how long of a ride and how much elevation you could ultimately put in there. If you found yourself at the end of a Mt A ride and unsatisfied with your climbing you can just section the road that goes up Mt A over and over like some animals around here do.

You should hit Bear Brook and Mt A in your near future. Bear Brook has some pretty good sized hills but also some really nice biking trails. In the most northwest section of BB there a bunch of nice descents off a single hill and it is always tough to decide which one to take. In your case you could just keep climbing and descending all of them.

As you can tell, technical trails are the Northeast's niche. Wait until you see what Lynn Woods has to offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Charles Ward in Andover packs a lot of climbing into a small area. There are two good sized hills, one of which used to be a ski area. You can easily acheive 2000 feet of climbing without repeating the same trail.

MIT Haystack is another good spot for climbing in Westford.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The MIT Haystack ride IMHO is about the coolest destination in the Greater Boston area! I did it last month. Strava info below. Check out those pictures!

I was totally awed by that place and promised myself I would take any visiting guests there.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/ef9BXEyFbT

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/MG7fAnNFbT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    The MIT Haystack ride IMHO is about the coolest destination in the Greater Boston area! I did it last month. Strava info below. Check out those pictures!

I was totally awed by that place and promised myself I would take any visiting guests there.

Looks like Epcot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Are you a gravel or road rider, or carless? Of the 23-ish miles, you were only in the woods for less than a mile.

mtbr member
    I did that ride on a gravel grinder from Lowell and back. It was mostly pavement. I hit some single track right around the Haystack area itself.

I could see there were significant trails around the area. Would be worthwhile to go back with a decent mtn bike and just ride trails in the Haystack area. Check the Strava Global Heatmap to find the single track.

Gravel grinder bike: worst of both worlds. Slow and heavy road bike. Poorly capable mountain bike. I kinda regret getting it. It really only excels on hard packed dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know that area well, which is why I was surprised you rode so little trail. There's a bunch of trails in Groton, but you won't likely be riding a gravel bike on most of them.

I also heard there's been some logging recently that has impacted some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    I know that area well, which is why I was surprised you rode so little trail. There's a bunch of trails in Groton, but you won't likely be riding a gravel bike on most of them.

I also heard there's been some logging recently that has impacted some of the trails.
    Yeah, they lost some classics. There are plans to rebuild in the works I hear.

Groton is a great town for trails if you can get a good guide. I was led around on a 50 miler there by a friend who says he can easily put together a much longer route. The MIT area is just scratching the surface.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Getting back on topic of climbing...

I've bikepacked through Ward Hill on a traverse of the northern sections of the BCT. Several times. I agree with above... it's got some nasty climbs. And it's got the famous east coast Stonehenge.

Check out the horizon view in the picture below. That's ridiculously close to Boston for such altitude. You could ride up and down a couple times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

The PP is right on when he talks about the proximity to Boston. Ward has great views of the skyline, especially in the fall. The picture of the Druid stones is from Holt Hill. Boston Hill has more singletrack climbs, including a NEMBA built trail that goes up and down the old ski area.

You can also connect CW with Harold Parker if you want an epic day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeh quite the view, come ride Greylock

I need hills-fat-greylock.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Yes - easily do 1000ft+ elevation per 10 miles at Blue Hills

Here's the 4 climbs/decents I like to do
    Tucker Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/4676405
    Great Blue (Coon Hollow) https://www.strava.com/segments/4676175
    Buck Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/7241054
    Hemenway Hill https://www.strava.com/segments/7543766
    Thanks for these. I went up Wolcott and got lost for a while all over the hill yesterday.

It was fun, super wet in spots. Someone has chalked a course there and there were a lot of hanging ribbons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wednesduro at Highland will start up at some point. Cheap ticket and you can climb the Freedom Trail til your heartís content and ride all the downhill trails.

https://www.highlandmountain.com/event/wednesduro-6/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    Wednesduro at Highland will start up at some point. Cheap ticket and you can climb the Freedom Trail til your heartís content and ride all the downhill trails.

https://www.highlandmountain.com/event/wednesduro-6/
    Already started!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.