I like massachusetts riding!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,066

    I like massachusetts riding!

    I had a real nice ride last Sunday. The NEMBA BOD meeting was held out here in Western, MA-and we put together a post meeting group ride. In addition to the BOD members in Attendance we had around 20 more folks locally show up for a late afternoon spin (with daylight savings over-sunlight was at a premium).

    Running a big and varied group ride like this took some work-but after a bit we got it all sorted out and most folks seemed to enjoy the ride. For me, I got to ride this local haunt a lot slower than usual (doing my Julie McCoy loveboat duties) and it struck me how nice the riding is in this State. I mean, the place we were riding isn't even remotely a premier riding spot in Massachusetts, just a little area we like to hit when we're pressed for time-like an after-work ride (or in the Summer a before work ride). It's got some great views of the Autumn Valley, some challenging single track, and climbing of course.

    I thought of all the other close regional great places to ride that are part of my weekly milieu of dirt choices, and that's just my little neck of the woods, folks from the eastern parts of the state enjoy a similar diversity and expanse in riding opportunities.

    Good access, good advocacy, sweat equity on the trails, good folks, and just awesome rugged new england landscape has all added up to Make massachusetts-yeah Massachusetts--a fantastic state to live and ride in.

    I think I really got going on this while perusing piece on great Fall riding destinations in a recent issue of MB Action where they failed to mention anything east of Colorado as a great FALL riding destination--yeah like who thinks of New England for Fall riding. Me, That's who.

    Enjoy the rest of it bay Staters-The Sun's out again.

    Liam

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    845

    I agree..Oh, lets ride soon

    Liam,
    I do agree with you. Speaking of great riding, lets get together and ride soon. You'll just have to go easy on me! Send me an email.

    Jason P.

  3. #3
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan

    Good access, good advocacy, sweat equity on the trails, good folks, and just awesome rugged new england landscape has all added up to Make massachusetts-yeah Massachusetts--a fantastic state to live and ride in.

    I think I really got going on this while perusing piece on great Fall riding destinations in a recent issue of MB Action where they failed to mention anything east of Colorado as a great FALL riding destination--yeah like who thinks of New England for Fall riding. Me, That's who.
    Sick! I'm moving to Boston from SoCal in December, can't wait to ride! These 3000' foot climbs out here are killing me too...

    I think its good MB Action didn't list MA; once a spot gets on the map, its ruined (read the SoCal forum a little bit).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Stop telling everyone!

  5. #5
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Stop telling everyone!
    Don't worry, everyone in Southern California thinks east coaster's are @ssholes and the riding sucks. The jokes on them .

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    Don't worry, everyone in Southern California thinks east coaster's are @ssholes and the riding sucks. The jokes on them .
    That's true but CA is the center of the universe, not sure if you were aware of that.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    guy's you don't even know the half of it. work your way down into Franklin county and look liam up or even me-though Liam usually has more free time to lead rides, the options out here are neverending and Primo! and the best thing about it is I can promise you everything you ride in our neck of the woods is always in mint condition, as we spend most of our free time maintaining and building all of the area trails.
    If you ever want the lowdown on local trails up our way drop me a line at [email protected] or PM me.
    Mac,

  8. #8
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    That's true but CA is the center of the universe, not sure if you were aware of that.
    I didn't know that actually; I do know its the center of overpriced, uptight, replublican idiocy though .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    I didn't know that actually; I do know its the center of overpriced, uptight, replublican idiocy though .
    Had to laugh at this statement, I moved from NorCal last year to Mass (North Shore). I went from people thinking I was a right winger to a lefty just by changing states, not viewpoint. If you think CA is full of republican idiocy, you might want to visit and see how right wing they think your opinions are. Prior to living in NorCal I was living in Austin, Tx the only democratic part of TX. I was viewed as a wacked out liberal in TX but with those same views in CA, I was a right winger. Red and Blue are a matter of perspective and comparing one state by its color on the presidential map is idiotic. If you were specifically speaking about SoCal (San Diego area), I'd have to agree it is rather right winged down there. People can we stop building house ontop of house and leave some green space, please!

    Okay back to MASS riding, couldn't agree more I love riding in Mass. I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and there is some great riding in NorCal. I wasn't disappointed at all when I moved to Mass, infact I was thrilled once I got out onto the trails. The rocky trails with tight trees are awesome. When I was leaving NorCal friends, from CA originally and haven't lived anywhere else, were like "Why do you want to move there, I've heard the riding sucks!" Well lets leave them in the dark.

    Hey SoCal dude, bundle up because it will be mighty cold riding in December in MASS. Last nights ride @ HP was about 30. The coldest day we road last year in January was around 5. I'm not talking celsius.

  10. #10
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Hmmm.... I was referring to Southern California, which is very right wing conservative, and very idiotic. Just poking at the Christian, uptight, conservative attitude down here, not who they vote for.

    I hear you on the cold, spent 25 years in MA . Can't seem to find any of my winter clothes though.....

    Quote Originally Posted by XCslowpoke
    Had to laugh at this statement, I moved from NorCal last year to Mass (North Shore). I went from people thinking I was a right winger to a lefty just by changing states, not viewpoint. If you think CA is full of republican idiocy, you might want to visit and see how right wing they think your opinions are. Prior to living in NorCal I was living in Austin, Tx the only democratic part of TX. I was viewed as a wacked out liberal in TX but with those same views in CA, I was a right winger. Red and Blue are a matter of perspective and comparing one state by its color on the presidential map is idiotic. If you were specifically speaking about SoCal (San Diego area), I'd have to agree it is rather right winged down there. People can we stop building house ontop of house and leave some green space, please!


    Hey SoCal dude, bundle up because it will be mighty cold riding in December in MASS. Last nights ride @ HP was about 30. The coldest day we road last year in January was around 5. I'm not talking celsius.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Hmmm.... I was referring to Southern California, which is very right wing conservative, and very idiotic. Just poking at the Christian, uptight, conservative attitude down here, not who they vote for.

    I hear you on the cold, spent 25 years in MA . Can't seem to find any of my winter clothes though.....
    Hear you on the uptight, Christian conservative attitude. Not everyone has to fit into one box. I don't get that people don't understand that you can respect someone for their views but it doesn't mean you agree with them. Oh well! I came from the Christian Conservative Midwest (IL), there is a reason I don't live there anymore. My movement since graduating college (VT, TX, CA, now MA). Let me rephrase as I lived in Austin not really TX. TX got really scary for the same reason you mention in SoCal.

    You may not like climbing mile after mile but I sure miss descending mile after mile. In SoCal I road Noble Canyon a few time - fun place. I was staying in Escondito. I did ride Daley Ranch every day because it was a few miles away. Pretty boring but good to get the legs moving. Mass you can determine a long climb by minutes. Infact I have had longer descending times in CA than time climbing in Mass. Don't get me wrong, I love the riding in Mass. Flow here is how smooth you can be vs how fast you can crank. Mass is a great place for a 5-6" travel bike, maybe I should get one. The Blur is doing me fine.

  12. #12
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by XCslowpoke
    Hear you on the uptight, Christian conservative attitude. Not everyone has to fit into one box. I don't get that people don't understand that you can respect someone for their views but it doesn't mean you agree with them. Oh well! I came from the Christian Conservative Midwest (IL), there is a reason I don't live there anymore. My movement since graduating college (VT, TX, CA, now MA). Let me rephrase as I lived in Austin not really TX. TX got really scary for the same reason you mention in SoCal.

    You may not like climbing mile after mile but I sure miss descending mile after mile. In SoCal I road Noble Canyon a few time - fun place. I was staying in Escondito. I did ride Daley Ranch every day because it was a few miles away. Pretty boring but good to get the legs moving. Mass you can determine a long climb by minutes. Infact I have had longer descending times in CA than time climbing in Mass. Don't get me wrong, I love the riding in Mass. Flow here is how smooth you can be vs how fast you can crank. Mass is a great place for a 5-6" travel bike, maybe I should get one. The Blur is doing me fine.
    Yup, I'll miss the descents too, I ride Noble around once a month (thats a 4000' singletrack descent people!). Nobles about an hour and half from me though, I can hit at least three ski resorts in that time from Boston.

    I just got a Chumba XCL, I think it'll be perfrect for MA riding (Vietnam baby!).

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,066
    Yeah, I'm not down on any other state's riding-I've never been to Southern California (for riding, that is)-but I'm sure it's great and that's the reason all those mountain bike mag editors test all their products there...

    But-I do want to stress that contrary to what many folks think (and I'm not just talking about west coast riders but venerable institutions like IMBA that rate us lowly and list defunct double track slogs as our only IMBA EPIC RIDES) Massachusetts has great access, and great riding of all sorts in every part of our diminutive state.

    I just banged out a lesser known tread on the south side of Mt Toby (riding the Robert Frost from Bull Hill Rd)--great ride-very aerobically challenging, worth a trip to d it and this is just a little throwaway section in a region with tons of riding.

    Liam

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    58
    I'd really like a trip to the Berkshires where someone could show me some of the rides. I was out there in July and was very disappointed. Now I know there are some sweet spots but I couldn't find them. Longer climbs but were set up by MXers & ATV folks, so straight up the fall line. Kind of hard to do with your own power. Plus they were wide enough for a truck to go up thanks to the ATV people. Not a fan at all of what ATV's do to trails. Did find some trails at Jiminy Peak, also straight up the fall line but singletrack. I climbed from the bottom, okay did a certain amount of pushing. It was raining that day and made the trip up and down interesting. Tried to race out at Dalton Farm? but it was raining and got canceled.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.