I just moved to western mass....- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

I just moved to western mass....

...and wondering if there's anyone who rides trails in the winter and if so which ones? What are the good shops to go to? If anyone is doing or knows of road rides in the area I would be interested in that too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Welcome

I ride all winter. I have lights and studded tires but i am riding mostly roads now due to the snow amounts. Live in Wilbraham. There is quite a few goos shops around, where exactly are you living?

Apr 2006
    I'm in Holyoke.

mtbr member
    Riding Road from Hatfield (just outside Northampton) this PM about 2:30

The snowriding here this morning early was pretty nice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There is usually a group that rides Wednesday nights at Robinson State park at about 6:00 pm. Typically about a 2 hour ride.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbirdbicycle
    ...and wondering if there's anyone who rides trails in the winter and if so which ones? What are the good shops to go to? If anyone is doing or knows of road rides in the area I would be interested in that too. Thanks.
    I'm getting back from CA tomorrow and I'm planning on hitting the Batchelor Street trails on the weekend. It's probably slicker than snot out there, but as long as there's no ice on the rocks it should be cool...I've been gone for three weeks so I really have no idea. If you're in Holyoke, B Street is 15 minutes across the river. Send me a PM if you're down.

mtbr member
    I'd be real surprised if batchelor street was rideable. It's most likely a hard, slushy mightmare. Please let us know if it is not.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    I'd be real surprised if batchelor street was rideable. It's most likely a hard, slushy mightmare. Please let us know if it is not.
    Took a hike down there this morning. It's not great, and the parking lot and most of the doubletracks are still covered, but the singletracks are surprisingly clear. It looks rideable, as long as you don't mind pushing through the snow now and again. Plenty of bike tracks too...I'm going to head back tomorrow and try to ride it.

Jan 2008
    I live in Pittsfield, and bike year round, I find Mt Greylock do-able in the winter, I ride on the snowmobilers tread tracks as they for the most pack it down pretty good, it's a very tough ride going up and a tougher ride coming down cuz ya got to keep your butt over the rear wheel to unload the front tire or it will dig in, bring a change of clothes if you do it, you'll get soaked with sweat on the ascent.

Members who have read this thread: 0