Hurricane Irene

Printable View

• 08-28-2011
    thecanoe
    Hurricane Irene
    Looks like a lot of trail work coming up next week.
    How's your neighborhood fairing?
  • 08-28-2011
    Scarsandtears
    Trees branches down everywhere, ton o water. Thankful it could of been a lot worse...
  • 08-28-2011
    thecanoe
    I guess we should post where we are. I bailed from the Cape and am now in Burlington.

Scars and tears, JRA is my shop also
  • 08-28-2011
    Scarsandtears
    sweet, Brian runs a great shop, good guys. I am in Stoneham, and very happy it is not worse.
  • 08-28-2011
    Harryonaspot
    5 1/2' of rain so far in the Berkshires.
    Hardly any wind though. My backyard has 18" in it and a beaver just swam by. Harry
  • 08-28-2011
    smelly
    Mere 4 1/2 inches here in Amherst. Not even enough rain and slop to go have some fun. I'd been hoping to waterski behind a car...
  • 08-28-2011
    dang
    figured it was going to be raining here on Cape Cod but have done my outside goals on the property now I'm going riding. I see the sun here but windy.
  • 08-28-2011
    thecanoe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dang View Post
    figured it was going to be raining here on Cape Cod but have done my outside goals on the property now I'm going riding. I see the sun here but windy.

I ride TOT twice a week. Let me know what the conditions are like. I'll be back tomorrow night.
  • 08-28-2011
    jrsbike
    Walked the dog in the Winchester Fells this afternoon. Lots of debris and down trees blocking some of the shore line single track. For me it will be off with the clips and on with the platforms as there will be a bit of hike and bike for a while while cleaning up the trails.
  • 08-28-2011
    dirtdan
    Any word on Middlesex Fells? I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow and I'll post a report.
  • 08-28-2011
    ZenmasterZach
    Lots of trees down in north NJ. Nothing major
  • 08-29-2011
    Scarsandtears
    Lost power after last post as a tree fell and took out my power lines. Still waiting to get it back on.
    I am curious to see what Lynn looks like esp. up on the ridges...
  • 08-29-2011
    Ash 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    I am curious to see what Lynn looks like esp. up on the ridges...

I plan to ride there tomorrow after work, ill try to take some pics if anything major is down and post it.
  • 08-29-2011
    xufima
    Trees and debris everywhere in Rochester, we didn't really get any rain though.
  • 08-29-2011
    dang
    didn't ride TOT but rode Yarmouth/hyannis and removed 5 trees without saw yesterday and another 5 or maybe 6 this evening with a saw I brought with me. annoying.

really don't feel like sawing more at TOT but probably will have to. I hate all the stopping.
  • 08-29-2011
    rc-architect
    Lynn has lot of small debris around, but still very ridable, big trees down in a few places, lots of derailleur eating branches. There is a large tree across bombshell and across ox pasture halfway up. I didn't ride the sharks tooth stuff. I don't know what this has to do with a windy storm, but the mosquitoes were brutal today every time I stopped, no bites all year, must've been bit 5 times today.
  • 08-30-2011
    Scarsandtears
    Thanks rc-architect. I am riding there tomorrow after work. Will move aside what I can.
  • 08-30-2011
    woodyak
    I rode the Field Pond area of Harold Parker today and there was lots of small debris but nothing major down. Part of Middleton Rd. was shutdown because of some trees down though.
  • 08-30-2011
    rc-architect
    Scars, Let me know if there is any organized time to move the big stuff, I'd be happy to help, I'm going to try to ride after work as well tomorrow, if I see Ranger Dan I'll ask if he's going to chainsaw out the trees or if he needs help moving logs once they are cut free.
  • 08-30-2011
    Scarsandtears
    sounds good, I will let you know how it goes and I will keep an eye out for you.
  • 08-30-2011
    thecanoe
    1 Attachment(s)
    Two of us rode TOT tday and opened up at least 6 miles of trails. We removed at least 7 trees, sawing and hatcheting what we could. Lots of debris, but it could of been worse.
    Most of the trails were off of Popple Bottom Rd.
    Lots more work to do.
  • 08-30-2011
    Ash 79
    Rode Lynn on the ridge trail area down to the Sweeney trail to diesel.
    1 big down tree on the Sweeney trail that we mostly cleared away since the guy we rode with had a pocket saw blade.
    Yeah, tons of mosquitos, wtf.
  • 08-31-2011
    Rumble_<*(((>(
    Callahan SP is a mess... Rode it yesterday and there were trees down everywhere.. Lots and lots of hike a bike there now..
  • 09-01-2011
    Scarsandtears
    One word for my ride last night, MOSQUITO!!! Holy smokes they are thick in woods now.
    As for tree damage, along Shark Tooth there is one tree down by the powerlines, it is off to the side, so no biggy.
    I didn't do too much else as my riding partner suffered two flats in a short time and had to split as I don't have 29'r tubes. Be out there Sat am covering more terrain.
    P.S. wear your bug repellant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 09-01-2011
    octanejake
    anyone been out to bachelor street?
  • 09-01-2011
    dirtdan
    I rode the Landlocked Forest in Burlington and it's in really good shape (especially compared to The Fells). Those elves in that forest really do good work.
  • 09-01-2011
    Thiago7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumble_<*(((>( View Post
    Callahan SP is a mess... Rode it yesterday and there were trees down everywhere.. Lots and lots of hike a bike there now..

. Thats sad to see all those trees down. I went there yesterday I was walking my bike to go over the trees. A lot of derailleur destroyer branches.
  • 09-01-2011
    Enzyme80
    Tried Russel Mill Town Forest the other night, did 1/2 of the trails bunch of downed tress some 3-4 ft high and completely covering the trail. I don't have the tools or anything... and I am going to vegas in a few days for the week. I want to get down there to help you but not sure who to talk to or when I can find the time... besides the trees they were OK just a bunch of brances.
  • 09-02-2011
    danwrzesinski
  • 09-03-2011
    thecanoe
    Rode TOT from Farmerville lot. There's at least 8 miles of clear trails in great condition. What a difference a few days and some traffic makes,
  • 09-03-2011
    jodebane
    1 Attachment(s)
    Rode Cutler Park today and yesterday. I didn't ride all the trails, but the ones I did ride seemed mostly okay except for some fallen trees. The fallen trees' locations (From what I remember) are marked with a yellow triangle on attached map. The trails on the map have my own, unofficial trail names.
  • 09-03-2011
    adumb
    Massasoit is all good and wompy as of yesterday was looking great. I didn't see anybody doing the work but it looked like they have been spending a good amount of time getting the trails ready for the landline classic. Course looked 90 percent marked also
  • 09-04-2011
    biggrumble
    Rode Ames Nowell, the west side of the park seemed to have more fallen trees than trail. East side was better, but still not great. Should have gone with a quick saw.
  • 09-05-2011
    dirtyjack
    I rode 3 days in Duxbury with the chainsaw this week, and one day at Wompy. Duxbury required a hell of a lot more work, luckily there was 4 or 5 guys with saws making it happen. It's all cleared now, and I think most of the deadfall in Wompy is too (although there may be pockets off the race course).

Next stop is Carolina Hill
  • 09-10-2011
    jodebane
    Cutler Park is long overdue for trail maintenance I think. I rode it yesterday and the fallen trees are still down and people going around some of them has caused a lot of erosion on the sides of hills. It' also has a singletrack section that's extremely eroded with roots sticking out everywhere and a lot of sand and mud pits. It has that every time I ride there. I don't know that much about trail maintenance, but I just feel like Cutler Park needs some. It seems to get a lot of use for the small number of trails it has.
  • 09-10-2011
    JUNGLEKID5
    ribon candy or plumbers alnding is still under water