Hunting on Provint Mt / Metacomet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hunting on Provint Mt / Metacomet

Is hunting allowed on Provin Mt. or any part of the Metacomet trail from Rt 187 in Agawam to the CT line? I live on Provin Mt in Westfield, and last weekend while riding the trail I ran across a hunting stand up in a tree. I was kind of PO's as I thought hunting was not allowed, and I am also a little scared about riding the area for the next month or so.

achiever
    Not positive but I'd say it's ok out there. It's bow season now and shotgun season starts at the end of Nov. I think. Got myself an orange safety vest last weekend and have been wearing it except on Sundays. No hinting in MA on Sundays.

If you're interested, PM me and maybe we can hook up to ride Sunday morning...

Red

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sure if riding is in the cards for me this weekend. I sprained my ankle on Tuesday evening at Judo and it it still pretty weak. I am going to test it out tommorrow on an easy ride around Robinson.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That reminds me of the time I totally mistook a cyclist for a turkey and shot him. It was a real shame, but he tasted pretty good.

Steam Donkey

Hunting YES

Hunting IS allowed on Provin. Some of the land at the base, and part way up, is owned by the Gun club. Use caution on non-Sundays.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    i had a gun pulled on me while riding toward rising corner on that trail last fall. apparently, the guy thought i was a bear. luckily, the few functioning brain cells he had were able to prevent his finger from squeezing the trigger. i tend to avoid riding until all of the leaves are down, and visibility is better.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Members who have read this thread: 0